Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first trip of any real distance, few thoughts....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
I've always read these kind of threads with interest so feel like its only fair I put mine, although it'll be a fairly short one.

Took my model 3 LR from Basildon, Essex down to the Hoburn Naish Holiday Park, Barton On Sea (Near Christchurch) for a weeks holiday.

Charged up to 100% and preconditioned (for the first time) before depature. Damn thing was screaming its nuts off again much like, if anyone remembers, when my coolant level was low and the car went into Tesla for a month....will be keeping an eye on this one.

Anyway drove straight down there, took about 3 hours. 145 miles, with a brief stop at Fleet services southbound to get a bite to eat and stretch my legs. Saw the superchargers there, what a sad affair. Ones been vandalised beyond repair and the rest are just bagged up and look filthy. Real shame. Still parked on them though, out of respect lol, plus there was nobody else there so didn't have to worry about door dings.

There were also 2 ecotricity chargers that I took a look at, one of them was out of order but the other one was available, not that I needed it.

Arrived at our lodge with 47% charge. The holiday park has 2 destination chargers on site which I was excited to try out, so I parked at reception and plugged into the only one that I saw there, (which incidentally had been ICE'd but I managed to stretch the cable to an adjacent spot, and got a riveting 1kw out of it.....with my app just letting me know it would take over 24 hours.

After checking in I got a park map, which showed the second destination charger near the middle of the park, so on the way to our site I diverted past it to check it out, surprise surprise, also iced, but as I just wanted to check it out I parked across the front of it and got the full 8k out of it, so that was a promising backup charge if I needed it.

Thankfully we had our own parking right next to the lodge, and incidentally the bedroom window. So I plugged my 3 pin charger in (after checking the fusebox was rated for well over what I needed) and within about 14 hours (which was fine as we were just relaxing the rest of the evening and going to bed), so by the morning it was back to 90%.

Didn't do a lot of driving through the week really, so just kept trickle charging it back up every couple of days and then back to full for our trip home, where I stopped at south mimms around mid-day, had 2 stalls available (1 is currently broken) for a cheeky top up (mainly because I have about 1500 supercharger miles that I'm never going to use), took 40 minutes to get from 49 to 100% and then another half hour to balance the battery I assume, so I let it do it as, I've never done it before. Spent our time checking out other cars and watching just how many people struggled to park in the bays, or didn't even try and parked the opposite side and charged from there. Nearly had a punch up when someone reversed into the proper bay only to find their charger was being used on the other side and then carried on home.

Car performed admirably, drove 90% of the way using FSD (which lets be honest is just autopilot for us over here) - had 2 phantom breaks, 1 down and 1 back up, not super harsh but enough to get the look of death from the misses.

Very frustrating to find both the chargers iced at the holiday park though. I mean both had a good 20/30 spaces around it but people had purposefully parked on those spaces is just pathetic.

I didn't bother saying anything to reception about it, I should have mentioned the slow charger honestly just expected a "yeah we know about it" kind of response. They clearly were not being maintained and looked like such an afterthought the way they had been installed.

Nooooo.🤦‍♂️ You don’t to be on a Supercharger to balance the batteries. Do that at home if you really feel the need to intervene (BMS is pretty darn good and doesn’t really heed help). South Mimms busy enough without everyone charging to 100% and leaving it for the idle fees to kick in.

I do feel your pain on Icing.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Nooooo.🤦‍♂️ You don’t to be on a Supercharger to balance the batteries. Do that at home if you really feel the need to intervene (BMS is pretty darn good and doesn’t really heed help). South Mimms busy enough without everyone charging to 100% and leaving it for the idle fees to kick in.

I do feel your pain on Icing.

To be fair, it kept switching between 5 minutes left and "calculating" so I wasn't sure what was going on. I was sitting in the drivers seat watching it, took a fair bit of googling to come up with the balancing thing, at which point I decided to sit with it.

I've never seen it do that at home though. Even on the few occasions that I have charged it to 100%

Either way, by the time I was waiting for it to finish there were at least 3/4 stalls available so not the end of the world.

Reactions: MrBadger
I was involved in a recent one on one video survey for DfT OZEV and it was good to hear that they appear fully aware of the issues around misuse of public EV chargers such as ICEing and people unnecessary charging to 100% - not for balancing but just because that is what many are use to doing with other rechargeable items. I think we shall see some etiquette guidance coming from them at some point - I should have pointed them to our urinal etiquette post! An amusing one for people to search for.

This is not a comment at @Billbrown1982’s actions as imho sticking with the car and being prepared to move on when the charge site has remaining capacity was a responsible attitude.

"urinal etiquette" - people often get this wrong. For instance which should you take when there are three empty ones available? Most people say one of the end ones, but of course the real answer is ... the middle one!

That way you're the alpha and whoever comes next has to stand next to you and feel uncomfortable

...but an interesting write up. I've done three long (ie requiring a charge) trips in the Y, but not seen any ICEing - maybe it's because I'm in Texas and there are so many guns around here. Pathetic though if people are doing that on purpose

• Funny
Reactions: Billbrown1982