Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first two weeks with Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the comments. I was #S705. Don;t know why I got lucky to get mine early. Maybe it was wishing Elon happy birthday at the opening of the Santa Monica store. I will try to post my photos.
2012-10-21 001compressed.jpg
2012-10-21 002.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And another photo while we ate lunch.
2012-10-21 009.JPG

So I guess Tesla was way ahead of me on the traffic button directly on the Google maps app, because I got it with my last software download. Here are the on/off pictures of the traffic button as I was stopped on the 405 freeway in LA stuck behind an accident Saturday night in the rain. Glad to have the update.
Here it is off:
off small.JPG

And on:
on small.JPG

So I guess Tesla was way ahead of me on the traffic button directly on the Google maps app, because I got it with my last software download. Here are the on/off pictures of the traffic button as I was stopped on the 405 freeway in LA stuck behind an accident Saturday night in the rain. Glad to have the update.
Hi TMS, thanks for the post. If you were navigating, would the "path" block the traffic data from being shown?

The answer is I think yes to both. It is difficult (though not impossible) to see traffic when on a route in the nav. And I think that the nav does take traffic into account when doing routes. It estimates the time to reach destination and gives alternate routes, and I had one experience where it sent me on a weird route that I ignored and I ended up in heavy traffic.

TMS Doc, I've been reading voraciously ever since my wife and I started thinking about getting a Model S a little over a month ago. Your review was the best I've read so far. I thought I knew pretty much everything I could about the car, but I ended up learning a few more things reading your review. What I enjoyed the most is reading your excitement and satisfaction with your purchase. This is an expensive car for us, but I'm confident once we get it, we will be glad we did! Thanks much for the review!

GREAT review. Really interesting information about a standard socket only giving 3 miles/hour charge.

The MPH of the charge depends on both the voltage and the amperage (VA=W). So a 15 amp plug with 110V won't charge at the same rate as one with 120V. And if there are other loads on the circuit... The 5 MPH rate is for the best case with a dedicated circuit at 120V.

FWIW I was getting 3 MPH at 117/12 (12 is the max for a 15a circuit)
I'm getting 2 that at 120/12 at the moment (I went and looked). Perhaps the reported MPH is projected rather than rated? That might explain why I get sometimes 2, sometimes 3.

Edit:

Confirmed: The "Controls, Settings, Units & Formats, Range Display" option impacts what charging MPH is reported. My MPH charging jumps from 2 to 3 immediately when I toggle to Rated, and back to 2 when I toggle back.

I now have 4000 miles on my Model S and am loving this car!! The car gets lots of looks, "thumbs up", and even a few people taking pictures as they drive by. Just yesterday and the day before I twice did a 175 mile loop around Southern California on a single charge. After picking my wife up at LAX one night, we stopped at the supercharger at Space X/Tesla Design Center in Hawthorne. Didn't need to, but what the heck. Charging was slower that expected at 128 miles/hr, but still fast, and it was lit up red and green in early December.

2012-12-01 017.JPG
2012-12-01 004.JPG
2012-12-01 021.JPG

TMS Doc - great review. Having driven electric cars for the past 10 years, I know a few things about driving EVs. The main difference is that the Model S is a production EV with an AC motor, huge battery, and more power than any sane person would know what to do with. Up to this time I've owned converted EVs (I did the work) with DC motors, and they are electric, yes, but performance-wise inferior to the AC motor cars. At any rate, the power that you have available in a Model S is downright scary! You can dart in and out of traffic spots in no time and accelerate / brake in ways that I've not seen in a gas car. This is the fastest road machine I have ever driven, period. On the highway you can simply toy with others (speaking hypothetically of course!). Especially the sports-car drivers. They try to show off and pass you by, however at will and in the blink of an eye you can end up 3 blocks ahead of them - they simply don't know what hit them!

More than anything this is the most impressive feature of the Model S.

There are restrooms at the Tesla Design Center (see the red wall just beyond my car in the first photo), but I would expect it open only during business hours. There must be others on the campus though. Those Space X guys work round the clock.