Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first two weeks with Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After picking my wife up at LAX one night, we stopped at the supercharger at Space X/Tesla Design Center in Hawthorne. Didn't need to, but what the heck. Charging was slower that expected at 128 miles/hr, but still fast, and it was lit up red and green in early December.
Is that another Model S next to yours? Something to keep in mind is that the supercharger ports are shared, two per charger. So if 2 cars are connected to the same charger you'll charge at half the rate. I noticed this at Gilroy awhile back. There are 4 spots there. A car was charging in spot #3 so knowing about the shared chargers I parked in spot #1. Charging was slow. Then I noticed that the charge pedestals were the same for spots 1 and 3 and different for 2 and 4. So I moved spot #2 (next to the other car) and charging was blazingly fast. So something to keep in mind if there are spots free and charging seems slow.

Of course it could also just have been because you had a decent charge already...

2013-11-24 002.JPG

Just an update, 13 months later, 25,000 miles! And I love it even more.

Time for a long term update. I hit 75,000 miles on Feb 16, 2016, three years and almost 5 months after taking delivery. I am still in love with this car. Having an original Sig, I have the old pano roof that is needing some work. We go through tires quickly on the 21 inch wheels. My battery now gets 220 miles when I charge to 90%. In comparison, a recent low milage loaner got 240 miles at the same setting. Thing is, after driving this car so long, my range anxiety is gone. I am very happy with my battery and don't miss an extra 20 miles of range. I am still putting lots of miles on the car. My only fear is that I will love the Model X more since my wife is getting that one.

75000 miles.jpg

The original design for the pano roof had some problems that were fixed back in 2013, but after I got my car in October 2012, which is VIN #197 in the Signature series. There are lots of little things that have been improved since I got my car. Even my nose cone is different. But I love, love, love this car.

Time for a long term update. I hit 75,000 miles on Feb 16, 2016, three years and almost 5 months after taking delivery. I am still in love with this car. Having an original Sig, I have the old pano roof that is needing some work. We go through tires quickly on the 21 inch wheels. My battery now gets 220 miles when I charge to 90%. In comparison, a recent low milage loaner got 240 miles at the same setting. Thing is, after driving this car so long, my range anxiety is gone. I am very happy with my battery and don't miss an extra 20 miles of range. I am still putting lots of miles on the car. My only fear is that I will love the Model X more since my wife is getting that one.

View attachment 114178
Good to know that the battery seems pretty stable. I'm at 53,000 miles and my 90% always falls in at 221 - 223 rated miles. I hope that replacement packs will be affordable when the Gigafactory comes on line. Hopefully we can get a 100KW to 120KW battery replacement by then, plus an easy extra 100 miles of range and take a second off our zero to 60 times.

Now that's the EV holy grail!

I kinda think that the added weight of larger batteries gets to a point of diminishing returns, especially with more and more charging infrastructure. When there was no where to charge quickly, it made a difference, Battery swap of smaller batteries is even more efficient. How often do you drive 300-350 miles anyhow?

How often do you drive 300-350 miles anyhow?

It's not the 300 - 350 I need, but the real world 75% of that (225-265). As it is now, I often come home in the yellow (or whatever it is) without the full power of the car available to me. It may be a first world problem, but I hate having to drive slower, or maybe alter my route because of range when I am so close to home.

If I could afford whatever the 100 is going to cost, I'd pay it for the range more than performance. I really want to be able to do LA to Las Vegas in one shot, no Supercharging or anxiety. I don't even know if the 100 will be able to pull that off at 80mph plus speeds often hit between the two.

Well I'll need a 150kWh battery to get me to and from LA to Las Vegas in one fast go. EV trip planner pegs it at just under 120kWh with a speed multiplier of 1.2. I hate spending an hour in Barstow to charge and still sweating the last 20 miles into Las Vegas without slowing down.

Last edited: