Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first valet experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Al Sherman

It's about THIS car.
Nov 29, 2012
Batesville, IN
After 9 months and 7000 miles I finally used a valet.
Leaving the car:

Me: "I really LIKE this car and I want it to be in perfect condition when I get it back. Have you ever seen one of these?"
Valet Kid: "Oh yes, we get a lot of these."

So I put the Tesla Tap Valet Instructions on the browser in full screen. The first line is something like: Welcome to the Tesla Model S electric car!

Getting the car back:

Me: "Thanks, is it running out of gas?"
Valet kid: "I don't think so. It seems to have plenty left."

You're a brave man, Al! I don't even like it when the Tesla service guys drive my car. :eek:

One of the reasons I've not taken my car for hand washing yet is that it requires me to give them the fob and wait at a cafe nearby while they move the car down the line (they make the washing in groups of 4). There's another car wash that does it car by car and I'd probably just wait in the car, drive it in for them and take the fob with me and wait in their office the 20-30 minutes it takes and then drive it out myself. No way am I giving a Model S to someone who knows zip about this car, the turning on the acceleration etc.

About a month ago, I pulled my Tesla into a parking garage in Manhattan. I asked the attendant if he ever parked a Tesla before. He said yes, I said well if there is any problem, the instructions are on the screen (en Espanol). I get about thirty feet from the car and he calls me back asking how to start the car. I tell him to look at the screen and he yells that he doesn't have time to read and makes me take the car elsewhere (requiring me to back up the car about 150 feet down a very narrow corridor). Not pleased.....

At a charity event last year and dropped off the MP4-12C for valet. The door was left open for the attendant, but I was called out later because they couldn't open the door from the outside (due to the swipe switch). That was the last time I valeted my any of my cars.

You're a brave man, Al! I don't even like it when the Tesla service guys drive my car. :eek:

LOL. Back in my "other" life I got a handful of medals indicating bravery. But I chalk that up to youth, stupidity and a lot of luck.:smile: I've always felt that bravery was just the ability (learned, or innate) to put fear aside for the time being.
Trust me, I was freaking out! It was a visitation that we were late for due to unforeseen traffic. My wife and another couple were in the car and they were all very nervous about making it in to the funeral home on time. They all are very aware of how I feel about the car but I decided it was time to roll the dice. It worked out ok (this time) but I was extremely nervous to say the least!

I've always been curious. How is their liability? If they scratch the car or someone does a door kink what can you expect from them as otherwise I'd never allow someone else to park my car unless it's a good friend I know who's also capable of taking care of any crap he happens to cause :)

Oddly enough, I've got a friend who's a long-time professional valet. Yes, they have insurance and yes, they pay if something happens to the car while they're driving. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Park 10,000 cars and you're going to bump one.

They're professionals in every sense of the word, but not every valet is. I will say that in general, there's only so much tomfoolery they can get up to. They're usually not driving the cars more than a block or two to put it in the garage and the time they spend joyriding is time not spent parking other cars -- ie, making money. Quite frankly, even with the incredible torque of the Model S, it's not really a car that's easily hooned and there's usually much more alluring machinery to beat on.

another valet experience

I valet parked my car today at a garage in downtown NYC near my work. Dropping off in the morning went pretty smoothly, the car was parked somehow. But when I came to pick up the car at night, a different valet went to get the car. I could it see was parked about 50 feet from where I was standing, but he didn't come back with a car for a really long time. So after waiting about 15 minutes, I got concerned and walked to where the car was parked. That is when saw the the valet in the driver's seat looking very puzzled and scratching his head. So I approached him and asked him if there was a problem to which he replied - "How do I start the engine?"

Had a nice laugh.

After 9 months and 7000 miles I finally used a valet.
Leaving the car:

Me: "I really LIKE this car and I want it to be in perfect condition when I get it back. Have you ever seen one of these?"
Valet Kid: "Oh yes, we get a lot of these."

So I put the Tesla Tap Valet Instructions on the browser in full screen. The first line is something like: Welcome to the Tesla Model S electric car!

Getting the car back:

Me: "Thanks, is it running out of gas?"
Valet kid: "I don't think so. It seems to have plenty left."