Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My five-day-old P85 was hit and run at my house.....$1000 reward - Royersford PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was originally going to crosspost with my original thread at the company forums, but I thought to make a new one. Basically, I went out for lunch on Monday for an hour or so, and after coming back, this is what I came back to:

IMAG02752.jpg

I can't begin to describe the anger and stress I am feeling over all this. The roads weren't even bad by this point so I wonder how it was hit, my mentality was more of leaving the car home to not get dirty from the salt! So you can imagine what's going through my head to come across this! This person gets to sleep soundly at night while I am forced to pick up the pieces and deal with it. The axle looks broken, the frame is aluminum and probably bent, and I'm out at least $1000 plus whatever the difference between what the insurance is willing to pay and what it costs to fix, at best, just to hopefully restore me to the same position I was before this happened. I'm also paying for a car that I ordered in September, picked up on Dec. 4, had for 5 days, and won't be able to drive for probably at least another month. They've likely killed any attempt at resale value in the process, whenever such a time would come. I am so upset because I have been waiting for months, getting acquainted with all of the features, and I really wanted to enjoy it and all the things Tesla does that nothing else comes close to.

I want nothing more than to find out who did it, so $1000 to the person with information leading to the arrest of the driver of the vehicle that hit my parked Tesla Model S in Royersford, PA, then left the scene. As when I was inspecting the damage and a pickup truck drove by with people laughing at my misfortune, I do wonder if this was deliberate, perhaps a truck with snow plow attachment hit me perpendicular and didn't leave any broken bits or paint traces (Don't know why, I hardly know or speak to anyone in this neighborhood so I have no enemies...It is also a quiet residential area). At this point I'm not concerned with recouping any financial loss. I didn't really get to experience the "new car" euphoria, especially on the level what a MS provides, and when I get it back, I'm still going to have this in the back of my mind, and being the detail freak that I am, will probably be even more reluctant with it. This has messed with me in all sorts of ways.

Not the way I had hoped to be making my first post! But they can only get better from here on out, right? Right?

I can't begin to describe the anger and stress I am feeling over all this.

My grandfather always used to say to me "when you get a new car, the first thing you should do is take a baseball bat to it. Put a dent in it yourself and it'll save you headaches and much stress in life. You won't worry about the trivial materialistic things but instead focus on whats really important to you."

That being said, I have not taken a baseball bat to my Model S. But over the course of time you'll get nicks and dings here and there. That is life. Becomes part of the car. (though many of that can be fixed with a good detailer).

The axle looks broken

how do you know? can you take a pic from the rear looking under the car?

the frame is aluminum and probably bent

AFAIK aluminum framing is extremely durable. I doubt its bent.

and I'm out at least $1000 plus whatever the difference between what the insurance is willing to pay and what it costs to fix

well this doesn't help you much but that's why I got a $250 deductible, especially driving in and out of NYC daily. I figured its only an amount of time before I get hit up there. In fact, I was already sideswiped by a truck on my rear right fender where it juts out, but it actually didn't even leave a mark other than a little nic half the size of my pinky fingernail. insignificant to fix. lucky me. oh and the van guy just kept on driving. thats NYC for ya.

just to hopefully restore me to the same position I was before this happened.

damage looks mostly cosmetic. I'm sure it'll be flawless what its returned to you.

They've likely killed any attempt at resale value in the process, whenever such a time would come.

Not really. If you fix it under by insurance claim (you can always pay out of pocket), you can claim diminished value now and get a check for the difference. details: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24561-Diminished-value-after-a-wreck-in-a-model-S

Not the way I had hoped to be making my first post! But they can only get better from here on out, right? Right?

it will. then you'll get addicting to wanting more. more features. more aftermarket mods. etc. its very time consuming really. I think this has taken the place of MMORPG gaming for me lol

btw, welcome to the forums :) sorry this had to be your first post. :(

- - - Updated - - -

I think some dash cams also activate with motion and could be helpful in this scenario.

yep. I've been thinking about one of those.

http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=17

http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-Wi-F...UTF8&qid=1386781192&sr=1-1&keywords=Pattasoft

Ouch. Very sorry to see this. Just that quarter panel alone will be at least $10,000 to replace.

- - - Updated - - -

Pittasoft (the company behind BlackVue) does not stand behind their products. If the camera breaks, good luck even getting in contact with them. And if you do buy one, don't buy from Amazon, because that's not an authorized retailer and Pittasoft will refuse to honor the warranty. Pittasoft is a very bad company. Stay away. I speak from experience.

I can't begin to describe the anger and stress I am feeling over all this.

Totally understandable, and we all feel for you. That totally sucks. I'm hoping the damage isn't as bad as it looks, and I'm sorry you have to put your car into the shop right after you got it (well, any time, but this is kinda the worst time, emotionally).

As when I was inspecting the damage and a pickup truck drove by with people laughing at my misfortune, I do wonder if this was deliberate, perhaps a truck with snow plow attachment hit me perpendicular and didn't leave any broken bits or paint traces (Don't know why, I hardly know or speak to anyone in this neighborhood so I have no enemies...It is also a quiet residential area). At this point I'm not concerned with recouping any financial loss. I didn't really get to experience the "new car" euphoria, especially on the level what a MS provides, and when I get it back, I'm still going to have this in the back of my mind, and being the detail freak that I am, will probably be even more reluctant with it. This has messed with me in all sorts of ways.

Okay, deep breath. I can't imagine someone would do that damage on purpose. The laughing a-holes driving by actually make me wonder if they were the ones...okay, not a fair guess and it probably wasn't them, but seriously, I can't think why someone would laugh at someone's new car getting damaged like that. (Yes, I know, "Schadenfreude"--thank you, Germany, for the perfect word.)

Ugh. Anyway, best of luck to you and welcome to the forum! When you get it back all fixed up looking like new, I hope it's like getting a second car and you get all euphoric again!!! :-D The Model S, even damaged and repaired, is the best. :love:

Pittasoft (the company behind BlackVue) does not stand behind their products. If the camera breaks, good luck even getting in contact with them. And if you do buy one, don't buy from Amazon, because that's not an authorized retailer and Pittasoft will refuse to honor the warranty. Pittasoft is a very bad company. Stay away. I speak from experience.

good to know. I was on the fence about them anyway. thanks for saving me any headache :)

Call me paranoid but I have Itronics Dash cams in my 2 other cars. In my P85 I had Blackvue DR550 front and rear cam installed yesterday. I also have a 12 Cam home security system with DVR. To many it may be overkill but I feel safe having them. Kids play outside and I can keep eye on them from Work. IF someone hits my car chances are I'll have a Plate Number. The cost for Blackvue was $290 plus $10 shipping if anyone is interested in Seller in Korea. Got it in about 5 days. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm glad I spent the money now rather than have something like this happen to me. I'm the type of person who can't stand even one ding on my car.

So So sorry for what happened to your car. My recommended Home DVR and Camera seller is securitycameraking.com.

It's not easy to see in the picture, but the wheel is off-axis and kinda drags with a thunk more than turns, while it was being pulled onto the flatbed.

I'll see about it, but I doubt I'll be able to benefit from any kind of provision for diminished value, or it will be messy. Even if the car had been totaled, I doubt I'd get enough back to cover getting another one just like it, probably not nearly enough (even though it has only 250 miles or something). As I said, this person has completely ruined my whole Tesla experience with no worry on their back, there's no cameras around and I don't think anyone saw it.

Yes, it was one of the first things I did. The policeman didn't seem to think there was a great chance of finding out who did it, but offered to drive around. I saw him again the next day, still nothing, but there will be no great effort to track them down.

I don't know if this is practical for you to do but have you tried knocking on a few doors local to where the incident took place? You really never know who might have witnessed something and maybe knows the car involved (and whose it is - fair chance it's local) or made a note of the plate but didn't want to get involved any further by calling the police. Good luck and sorry about your car. MW

Yes, it was one of the first things I did. The policeman didn't seem to think there was a great chance of finding out who did it, but offered to drive around. I saw him again the next day, still nothing, but there will be no great effort to track them down.

Most of us feel your pain I can't imagine going through what you are going through. Just remember these are just things which can be replaced. Please keep us updated. I would try and see if anyone saw anything but if that doesn't pan out I would recommend getting a few cameras. I notice there is a fair amount of Jealousy/envy towards People with Nice cars and Homes.