Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Foray Into Waterless Washing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use rinseless washing all the time. I used to be a pressure washer, foam cannon, 3 bucket wash, DI rinse, blow dry car wash guy. Taking 1.5 hours to wash a car is very daunting.

I finally gave in to ONR as everyone praises it and although it's very strange, it works really well and I'm a convert. I transition to Wolfgang SiO2 Rinseless and have been using that for the last two years. Love the stuff. Best part is that it takes minimal equipment and 15-30 minutes start to finish.

It is to be noted I have a Black MYP and I don't see any swirling caused by this method.

Reactions: TSLY
I use rinseless washing all the time. I used to be a pressure washer, foam cannon, 3 bucket wash, DI rinse, blow dry car wash guy. Taking 1.5 hours to wash a car is very daunting.

I finally gave in to ONR as everyone praises it and although it's very strange, it works really well and I'm a convert. I transition to Wolfgang SiO2 Rinseless and have been using that for the last two years. Love the stuff. Best part is that it takes minimal equipment and 15-30 minutes start to finish.

It is to be noted I have a Black MYP and I don't see any swirling caused by this method.
Was torn between Aero Cosmetics and ONR. Went with Aero but used ONR, both do heck of a job.

Reactions: damageprone
Used Meguires auto detailer on my motorcycle for years. Looked great! I imagine if you look at the paint under a microscope you will see where I scratched the paint with trapped dust particles, but who looks under a microscope. I'll use it on the Model Y if I ever get it. od 9/30

Reactions: TSLY
Car washes are Tesla's mortal enemy and inherently evil. To PPF or not? Ceramic coating? Anyone know a good mobile detailer in SoCal? A few of the thoughts that darted through my head hanging out here on TMC waiting for my MY (delivered 10/21). Followed by hours of commensurate Googling, YouTubing, and dialing. A few days ago, calling all of the above, I came across Danny, a body shop and detailing business owner in Santa Monica. Danny drives a Porsche, is 65, loves cars, and has been in the business his entire life. He liked to rap and was very forthcoming.

I was telling Danny I parked in a poorly lit underground garage with no access to water. He said, you know how I wash my Porsche? Waterless Wash! I said, what? He began to explain and suddenly I felt like I woke from deep hibernation. I bet I'm the last person to hear of waterless wash? If you haven't, Goggle it. Just kidding! Simply put, waterless wash is a car wash in a bottle. There's no water, no soap, no pails, no sponges, you spray on the magic formula, then wipe off the dirt with a microfiber towel and buff it with the towel's clean side. It cleanses, waxes, polishes, protects the clear coat, and is hydrophobic. Waterless Wash works on modestly dirty cars. If you've been off road or haven't washed your car in a while, it requires a traditional wash, first.

Long story short, haven't tried it yet but ordered all the paraphernalia. Seems like a great way to bond with my Tesla while getting some exercise. I hate car washes and gas stations, to begin with! I'll have Danny will give me one of his detailing specials, when needed. Going to pass on PPF. Danny pointed out he could repaint a fender -- if ever needed -- for a third the cost. He works on a lot of Teslas. I'm going to take a wait and see approach to ceramic coating. From what I've seen, Waterless Wash can provide similar benefits. Happy trails!
There is more to it than that. There’s a technique for folding the microfiber cloth then rolling the cloth as you wipe to lift dirt and make sure that dirt isn’t dragged across the paint. The paint only sees clean microfiber The used and dirty microfiber doesn’t touch the paint again. If you drag microfiber with trapped grit, you’ll scratch your paint. You’ll go through a lot of microfiber cloths this way but you won’t scratch the paint.

Reactions: TSLY and Puma2020