Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My friend got (temporarily) auto-pilot banned within the first 24 hours of ownership LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got AP shutdown more than a few times, all while trying to squeeze the steering wheel and did not understand why it did it. Then one day I was talking with the Service Center and was told it was "turning" pressure, not squeezing, on the steering wheel. Now ... no longer get the warning.

I got AP shutdown more than a few times, all while trying to squeeze the steering wheel and did not understand why it did it. Then one day I was talking with the Service Center and was told it was "turning" pressure, not squeezing, on the steering wheel. Now ... no longer get the warning.
Well, technically it is squeezing. :D I’ve found on 10.4 squeezing (not letting the wheel turn) works better than trying to jiggle it. The car ‘fighting’ against you is what it wants to see and that’s where the whole ‘squeezing’ idea came from.

Then people thought there were sensors in the rim (to be squeezed, of course). I had a conversation with one person on YouTube where he thought that’s what the orange did. SMH....

Yeah, I've never had any beeping. Ever. I get the popup flag, it waves at me (as it were), and then the white circle of death. :D

To add, every other sound effect (parking, AP on/off, etc.) works. So, I got nothing. Why would *this* one not work?
Flashing is the white circle. That's steps 2 and 3. It flashes for many seconds before making any sounds.

• Informative
Reactions: DCGOO
Well, technically it is squeezing.

Seriously?

Dictionary: Squeeze - "fimly press (something soft or yielding), typically with one's fingers".

"Squeezing" the wheel isn't going to get you anywhere in this case. A much better "technical" term would be to "hold" or "resist" the wheel turning in your hands. I just "jiggle" the wheel a little to let AP know I'm still there and/or rest the weight of one hand on the side.

Even though I realise why the warnings have to be there, I still find it massively annoying when using AP. Often I just use TACC to avoid the warnings. If my hands are on the wheel I just automatically steer anyway and actually find the auto steer tugging quite irritating. AP is undoubtedly a cool feature, but not anywhere near as useful in practice as I expected. TACC however is great and I use that way more than I ever thought I would. Takes all the hassle out of following in a line of traffic.

Seriously?

Dictionary: Squeeze - "fimly press (something soft or yielding), typically with one's fingers".

"Squeezing" the wheel isn't going to get you anywhere in this case. A much better "technical" term would be to "hold" or "resist" the wheel turning in your hands. I just "jiggle" the wheel a little to let AP know I'm still there and/or rest the weight of one hand on the side.

Even though I realise why the warnings have to be there, I still find it massively annoying when using AP. Often I just use TACC to avoid the warnings. If my hands are on the wheel I just automatically steer anyway and actually find the auto steer tugging quite irritating. AP is undoubtedly a cool feature, but not anywhere near as useful in practice as I expected. TACC however is great and I use that way more than I ever thought I would. Takes all the hassle out of following in a line of traffic.
Correct, the car is looking for external torque on the wheel.

Though, unlike you, I don't mind it so much. It pops up on the edge of my vision and I give the wheel a little nudge. It doesn't take much pressure to reset the alert.

As some others have mentioned, I sometimes get sleepy on long drives.

Have not had this happen with the auto pilot. I am so engaged, watching it navigate itself down the highway, that I stay pretty engaged with the whole process. I look ahead of turns, imaging how I would handle them, and then compare that to what the autopilot works out to get me safely down the road.

Pretty cool stuff going on here.

I'm going to have my friend join TMC tomorrow evening and let him tell his story on this thread. I guess since I wrote about him he should be offered the opportunity to read the thread and tell the story of what happened. I'll let him tell you what he named his car. I love the name.