Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My friend's model X crashed using AP yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Joeski1 Time to get in line for the lawsuit.

Tesla Says Driver Took Hands Off Wheel in Latest Autopilot Crash
"“This is certainly related to some false promotion and marketing,” he tells Reuters. “They described [this function] very well to everyone, but in fact they took an unfinished product and used it as a promotional gimmick.”

Here is Uncle Lebeau, showing off hands free auto pilot, calling it self driving.
Tesla's Autopilot in action

THANKS FOR THE LINK!!! FIGURES IT"S IN NJ!!

and did you see that car cut in front of him?? THAT"S EXACTLY what Nj people do!! (and the car slows.. and let's the next vehicle do the same thing...)

Heck.. I don't really want to sue them.. I just want this software disabled from my vehicle and my $2500.00 back.... this isn't like removing a pano roof.. or a SAS air system.. it IS incomplete and defective software... they already gave it away for 30 days free to loads of folks as a trial.... and then took it back..... didn't even go to a service facility...

so they CAN take it back... so if they did.. and refunded my money.... then I could move on and feel much better about TESLA..

and surely wouldn't spend any more unnecessary money on being a fleet test pilot...

I know this really gets folks goats.. but if you bought something based on sales speak and tactical information relating without a trail.. and it turned out to be defective.. or incomplete...wouldn't YOU want your money back??

I don't want folks to get hurt or killed.... but if they choose to risk it... that's on them.... I just want OUT of the AP conundrum and my money back!

Last edited:
Reactions: srini
I know this really gets folks goats.. but if you bought something based on sales speak and tactical information relating without a trail.. and it turned out to be defective.. or incomplete...wouldn't YOU want your money back??
If I bought something assuming it would work a certain way, and it didn't, I'd be upset and probably want my money back. However, once I found out that I was one of the only people who misunderstood, I'd deal with the fact that I should have paid more attention, and I'd probably not advertise my lack of understanding.

I've made plenty of purchase mistakes, hasn't everyone? I bought my latest iPhone with 128GB of storage, but only use about 30GB. I could have saved money by getting a 64GB phone and still had plenty of space. I have some regret about that, but I do what most people do when they make a mistake - I learn from it, and adjust my future decisions based on what I've learned.

THANKS FOR THE LINK!!! FIGURES IT"S IN NJ!!

and did you see that car cut in front of him?? THAT"S EXACTLY what Nj people do!! (and the car slows.. and let's the next vehicle do the same thing...)

Heck.. I don't really want to sue them.. I just want this software disabled from my vehicle and my $2500.00 back.... this isn't like removing a pano roof.. or a SAS air system.. it IS incomplete and defective software... they already gave it away for 30 days free to loads of folks as a trial.... and then took it back..... didn't even go to a service facility...

so they CAN take it back... so if they did.. and refunded my money.... then I could move on and feel much better about TESLA..

and surely wouldn't spend any more unnecessary money on being a fleet test pilot...

I don't want folks to get hurt or killed.... but if they choose to risk it... that's on them.... I just want OUT of the AP conundrum and my money back!
instead of disabling the autopilot why don't you just not use it until you trade your learner's permit for a driver's license?

The great Wayne Gretzky once said, "skate to where the puck is going, not where it has been".

Don't base your decisions on what AutoPilot is today, but what it will be in a few months time. It will improve by leaps and bounds within the next 12 months.

Reactions: MTOman
Any updates on this thread? Did Mr. Pang respond to Tesla's letter? Mr. Pang can we hear from you about the comments on this thread? Have you met Tesla? Have you fixed your X or bought another one?
I doubt we will ever hear from mr. Pang or his friend again as their face-saving dissembling has been revealed as a string of lies.

Just because I'm in Montana again and was out near Whitehall yesterday, I went around to the various scenes of the accident as reported for this incident (some say it was on Route 2 near Cardwell, others that it was on 55 near Whitehall) with my P85D. I put AP on at various times, with my hands firmly on the wheel, and it was very clear after a few seconds that AP was not a good idea on these roads (9 am, not 2 am, for me).

I'm pretty sure that at this point, no one in his or her right mind is putting the blame on Tesla for the accident, but after driving these roads, my opinion is that the Model X driver should not only get no compensation from Tesla, he or she should not have a driver's license. If you see what these roads are like, you would think twice about having your hands off the wheel for even a second, let alone the amount of time in this accident.

On the other hand, if you're being careful, the roads are a LOT of fun to drive in a P/D model Tesla. You can see oncoming traffic from a long way off and the roads have some nice sweeping turns. And when I90 is quiet (like it was at 7 am on my way from Bozeman to Whitehall), the high speed capabilities of the P/D model shine.

Just because I'm in Montana again and was out near Whitehall yesterday, I went around to the various scenes of the accident as reported for this incident (some say it was on Route 2 near Cardwell, others that it was on 55 near Whitehall) with my P85D. I put AP on at various times, with my hands firmly on the wheel, and it was very clear after a few seconds that AP was not a good idea on these roads.

Did you notice any instances of Autopilot falling to make turns with a steep turning radius? When traveling through Mount Rainier National Park, I noticed that the car would turn more shallowly than required in rare cases. It's like the steering motor has only so much power, or there is a restriction on allowed lateral G forces. I'm not sure if this is common to all Teslas, or is unique to mine.

Did you notice any instances of Autopilot falling to make turns with a steep turning radius? When traveling through Mount Rainier National Park, I noticed that the car would turn more shallowly than required in rare cases. It's like the steering motor has only so much power, or there is a restriction on allowed lateral G forces. I'm not sure if this is common to all Teslas, or is unique to mine.

Decreasing radius turns are not the car's strong suit. On roads like the one I was on near Whitehall, the lane markings are not great and there's very spotty data coverage. I don't know how much autopilot uses the data connection to get details from maps that aren't stored, but if it needed any data connectivity it would be at a serious disadvantage around here. The nav screen on my car wasn't showing the map squares once I got a bit off the interstate and when I saw that, and felt the car sort of searching for the lane borders, I basically called the experiment off.

The current AP package is relying entirely on the single front camera to see road lines - and it has a somewhat limited field of view. I'm pretty sure it can't see far enough to the side to see the lane lines in sharp corners - which is the only place it seems to consistently fail to track.

Both 2 people on car survived. It was late at night, Autopilot did not detect a wood stake on the road, hit more than 20 wood stakes, tire on front passenger side and lights flyed away. The speed limit is 55, he was driving 60 on autopilot. His car is completely destroyed. The place he had accident does not have cellphone signal, it is 100 miles from the hotel. We are on a 50 people Wechat messenger group. I woke up today saw he managed to get internet to ask people in the Wechat group to call tesla for assistant.

Hi, I'm researching a story relevant to what happened here. Did your friend authorize Tesla to share information about the crash/driver behavior/car function with the media before they commented on it? I'm referring to their comment here: Another Tesla Motors Car Crashed While in Autopilot

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Hi, I'm researching a story relevant to what happened here. Did your friend authorize Tesla to share information about the crash/driver behavior/car function with the media before they commented on it? I'm referring to their comment here: Another Tesla Motors Car Crashed While in Autopilot

The guy hasn't been on here in 5 months. Next time use your sleuthing skills via PM, so as not to revive this long dead thread.