Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY front license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of a MY this week and was hoping for ideas on front license plate holder. I’m looking for something that doesn’t involve drilling or adhesive and does not require removal before going into a soft-cloth car wash. In my state we have to run with a front plate at all times so I won’t ever remove it once installed.

I ordered the OttoSteer. Lies flat, no tape, and shouldn't need to be removed. My local car wash (Mister Car Wash) has the cloth strips.

The QuickBandit is said to only work with touchless car washes. The SnapPlate will snap off (break) and then you buy replacement parts. But would I notice when my front plate breaks off? and go fish it out of the car wash?

An alternative is the license plate sticker: licenseplatewrap.com A guy at work has it, and it looks like it does in the pictures. But I didn't like the look of it.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

The QuickBandit is said to only work with touchless car washes. The SnapPlate will snap off (break) and then you buy replacement parts. But would I notice when my front plate breaks off? and go fish it out of the car wash?
One mitigating factor with the QuickBandit is that it's very easy to remove. Take it off before running through the car wash and you're good to go. Of course, if you forget, that could be a bad outcome.

I think the general idea of the easily-removed mounts is to leave them off most of the time and just put them on when you need to be compliant. Otherwise, go with a more robust (and generally cheaper) mount that connects more robustly.

Bought snap plate and arrived at Tesla and they had already put the plates on…even though I told them not to
This is so annoying. In the 'virtual' introduction the Mt. Kisco team said they ask before they but the front plate holder on but a SA said to call them on the day your car arrives and have them but another note on your order to leave the front holder off. I did that. I suppose I'll find out in a week.

On one call I asked for the 'birthday' to find out if the paint was old enough for PPF and brought up the front plate. The SA said the film installer would remove the plate for me if it was installed at the SC. A bit presumptuous on their part.

I’ve got a friend with a laser cutting machine, and I was wondering if there was a way that someone has found to attach a front license plate that doesn’t involve cutting or drilling, stickers or magnets. Is there some sort of substructure to attach to?

I think if there is, we might be able to fabricate a better holder than what’s currently available.

It’s a thought anyway.