TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My frunk won't open and how Ownership helped me...

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Francis Lau, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

I just drove from the Seattle area to Vancouver BC area today. Upon reaching the hotel, I popped the frunk and while it was ajar, I could not open it. The latch closer to me was stuck. I called ownership twice and they gave me 3 techniques, the last one worked. I thought I post this info so others can benefit.

1. Press the key fob to open frunk while you are at the frunk ready to pull it when it pops. Did not work for me.

2. Use manual pull under glove compartment by one person and another at the frunk ready to pull it when it pops. Did not work for me.

I wedge my fingers to feel around the 2 latches and the back one was unlatched, the one closer to me was not releasing. The above 2 techniques did not affect the closer latch

3. While frunk is ajar, feel to the left of latch and press down rectangular button (about 2 inch wide by 0.25 inch), then press down frunk cover down as much as possible without hurting fingers. By pressing down frunk cover, it allows the button to be pressed further down, thus releasing the latch. It was a difficult manouver as it required a lot of finger strength to press down while fingers are compressed by the frunk. I did it around 10 times until I was able to open it.

If I was home, I would not have tried as hard and brought the car to the service center or wait for Ranger service instead.

- - - Updated - - -

I never noticed the frunk button there so I recommend that you check it out while your frunk is opened. I will post photos of the frunk button after it is repaired since the frunk is stuck again. It is empty so I don't really care that it is stuck for now.maybe someone else can post the picture too.

BTW, has anyone had a stuck frunk before?

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I had this happen also, I opened then partially closed the hood. I think you could close it and reopen it just fine. But I wanted it open. It was easy getting my fingers to the button but pressing it is really tricky. You need to push it down and TOWARDS the passenger side. I would recommend that you try to find the button also.

Here is a picture. Again you push towards the passenger side and down at the same time.

WP_20130218_001.PNG

The button is attached to a lever that is directly attached to the latch, it travels down and towards the passenger side. Knowing this makes it MUCH easier to get it to work. I think push it sideways and it always seems to be much easier.

I would always re-close the frunk and try to re-open it before trying to monkey with that button.

3. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

I don't want to get too off topic or offensive, but this sounds a bit like a discussion on the mysteries of the female anatomy.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@Alfa - Thanks for the deep laugh.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Let's stay on topic please.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Sorry, sir.

When is Ben going to post a video on this? I can't understand anything without a video anymore.

7. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

No videos but here are photos and proof that Tesla is improving the Model S in small unknown ways.

They actually improved this between my car at VIN 1646 to @ElSupreme's 3182. That is cool.

FrunkLatch (2).jpg

FrunkLatch (3).jpg

And curse you @Alfafoxtrot1 for your message because my brain went into the gutter when I was taking and viewing these pics. So bad!

8. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Careful, the mods are nervous about off-topic content. The photo of the flat button on my S was sent to never-never land. Note that you don't press the flat type off towards the passenger side as previously reported; you must press down instead.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@Francis - LOL. I was kidding but thank you for the serious and helpful response regardless. :)

10. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

The forums are such a great resource! Just happened to me while visiting relatives getting ready to go home, so the options were panic or research. The little button worked like a charm.

11. JPP

JPP Active Member

Please note that later builds have a totally different frunk latch system--1 latch hook not 2, and no inside frunk release under the glove box.

12. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Later models or D models?

13. JPP

JPP Active Member

...hmmmmm..need to check. I thought all new builds had the new frunk latching system (single hook)...not so sure about the inside release.

14. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

When mine gets stuck if you just push the hood down most of the way, but not completely closed and then push the key fob button again it opens right up.