Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY: Fun to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the model Y a fun drive? I am waffling on selling my Miata, but now is the time to sell it if I am going to. My Model Y won't arrive until winter so I can't drive it around and decide if it is different and dull enough to want to keep the miata. I know the MY is fast straight line, but worried around town if it'll feel big of if it is like driving an appliance and I will sometimes want to rip around in the miata.

Is the model Y a fun drive? I am waffling on selling my Miata, but now is the time to sell it if I am going to. My Model Y won't arrive until winter so I can't drive it around and decide if it is different and dull enough to want to keep the miata. I know the MY is fast straight line, but worried around town if it'll feel big of if it is like driving an appliance and I will sometimes want to rip around in the miata.
The MY is fun, but not Miata fun. I have an MY and a Mercedes C43AMG convertible, which is is really fun. I would not want the MY as my only car. It is not a take it out and run it through the twisties car. If that is important and you want an EV, get a model 3, which handles better than the Y.

I had Miata before MYP. I don't have MY so I will compare to MYP. Driving Miata is very different experience. Miata is small, light, excellent steering, relatively slow car with plenty of body roll and noisy. MYP is kind of opposite. Way bigger car with higher driving position, little body roll when cornering, very fast and way quieter. What unites them is both are fun to drive cars, but different kind of fun. If I didn't care about money I would keep them both :)

Last edited:
As we all know used car prices are crazy an I was just offered $32K for my miata. I don't NEED the money, but I am financially responsible and know I am not driving the miata that much with Covid and WFH. I love that I can hop in an just zip around town, but in two years I have only put 3k miles on it. I haven't really gotten back into track driving since I moved a couple years ago. I "need" a MY to cart my dog around and road trips.

Reactions: mangrove79
The Y is well balanced with a lot of weight down low. The “throttle” response is very fast and there is no gear shifting to be caught in the wrong gear mid corner. The steering is quick, but the turn radius is big.
It also weighs 4,400 lbs. That’s more than two Miatas. Physics is physics.
The roof cannot be opened like a traditional sunroof, so that’s another difference.
The brakes are 14” and four pot fixed up front, so when you do need them, they work.

If I were you, I would test drive one around some twisties to see what you’re into. It’s a lot of fun, but you comparing a Crossover to a small sports car.
I like the one car for all approach and it’s great for me.
Background, I previously drove a Mazda3 GT, Ralliart turbo AWD, and an RSX-S.

I would say "no, its not fun to drive, its very practical and fast but not fun". That may be because I feel that the model 3 is the "fun to drive" model between those two. Model Y is a great "people and stuff" hauler, and fast, but not anywhere near what a miata owner would call "fun".

I dont think a model 3 is "miata fun" either, actually, but its much closer. Miatas are not super fast, but they are fun for "driving" back roads and such, and model Y definitely is not that.

I’ve owned two Miata’s, a Boxster and now a regular Y. There’s just no comparison between a two seater sports car and the Y. The performance trim Y might be fast, but it’s no canyon carver like the other two cars. Top down and manual transmission just can’t be beat for spirited driving.

Reactions: jwuwu and MattM24
As mentioned many times before they're different types of cars, both fun but in different ways. I'm not gonna touch on the driving dynamics but QL of life. The Y has it in spades. It's hard to quantify the changes, like having a PS5 to play your FLACs, AP to handle most commuting chores, not having to gas up every week, the immensely quiet platform, the ridonkulously high end car audio sound, and the zillions of Tesla-isms. And the best part it's so stupid fast that you will pine for the Miata less and less. And if you're serious, pro tip get the Performance trim.

Reactions: Casss
You could rent a Model Y on Turo, help you to decide. The Model Y is roomy, comfortable. Access is great (no stooping or bending/contorting to get in or out.) The Model Y drives like a medium/large crossover not like a roadster. If you want to drive an EV that drives more like a European sport sedan then consider the Model 3. The standard range Model 3 (RWD) would would be a good choice, it is RWD and is lighter than the Dual Motor Model 3 or Performance Model 3.

If you buy Tesla cars for "environment" or "fuel saving" or "maximum efficiency", you will not have fun.
On the other hand, I am having so much fun with my MYP against any ICE cars that think they are the king of the road, especially those V8 Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, and Corvettes with the loud straight pipes, no CAT, etc.
I would politely argue that point, with the caveat that "fun" is relative and it depends on what you're used to and where you're located. First off the bat, it's hard for any SUV to be more fun than a convertible or sports car (IMO). My previous cars were a lumbering, sluggish 7-seater Ford Freestyle and an all-work, no-play Subaru Forester. So my MYLR AWD is the most fun I've ever had (and I just took the winter tires off yesterday, so brand-new to driving it with summer tires!). Throw in the sky high prices of gas and really low electricity rates here in QC, and I'm smiling pretty wide while driving these days, feeling even better about the whole no-emissions and no-gas thing. :)

Yea, I understand they are different cars and not looking to compare them. But even just a trip to the store can be annoying in the wrong car. I am getting the Y for practicality and don't expect to be h00ning around, but if it is otherwise numb and drives like a mom car I will keep the miata for those times where I just have to zip into town or drive just to get out and see things.

I have test driven the Y, but it is hard to know how the car will be once I am used to it. When test driving I feel it is all blind spots and semi-comfort. But I am not trying to zip around. I had a model S performance for a while and that was cool, but such a big car.

Yea, I understand they are different cars and not looking to compare them. But even just a trip to the store can be annoying in the wrong car. I am getting the Y for practicality and don't expect to be h00ning around, but if it is otherwise numb and drives like a mom car I will keep the miata for those times where I just have to zip into town or drive just to get out and see things.

I have test driven the Y, but it is hard to know how the car will be once I am used to it. When test driving I feel it is all blind spots and semi-comfort. But I am not trying to zip around. I had a model S performance for a while and that was cool, but such a big car.
I'd rent one on Turo and form you own opinion. Hard to beat a Miata for a fun car to flick around. The Y is heavy vehicle with a poor turning radius, but a nice kick in the seat when you mash the accelerator.

Reactions: Rotarybuddy

I find the steering of my 2020 LRMY to be numb but that is also true of most of the vehicles I have driven that use electric power steering. The LRMY is powerful, quicker off the line than most other vehicles you would encounter every day. The LRMY is not tossable in the turns. The Model Y's overall weight keeps it planted. Perhaps you should test drive a Model 3.

Friends let me drive their Miata. Somehow I managed to squeeze into the driver's seat. It drove like a go kart. I told my friends I needed a Miata Plus.

Just drawing from my own experiences, my definition of fun has evolved since I got my MY. I used to have a stick-shift Audi TT that I really liked and enjoyed curving down wooded country roads. Since I got my MY, it's almost like I grew up with a different sense of what fun is. It's not a one-dimensional concept anymore. It's actually much quicker, smoother, and quieter than my TT, for when I need the acceleration. I can zip past mustangs and semi's effortlessly all the while not using any fossil fuel to do it, which does give me a sense of satisfaction. The one-pedal driving is also part of the fun equation for me, a feature that I'm so used to by now that I dread driving ICE rental cars on vacation and business trips.

You'll probably always miss your Miata if you sell it though. Your love for it feels much greater than mine for my TT. ;)