Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Gallery of the Model S Beta (from Dania Beach, FL)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mostly nice. But the speedometer doesn't pop out visually as much as I'd like. Remember, this is the main thing you need to read while driving!

Perhaps it looks different when moving? A big number for current speed or something?

Maybe it'll evolve in the final iteration, quick comparison of how it looked back in 09:

IMG4451-M.jpg

3433445696_6e29d357ba_b.jpg

Obviously the music stuff isn't there now, but it used to be all crammed into the 17" display - yuck. I think adding some white or silver behind the numbers like they were back in 09 would make it pop

Kudos and thanks for the pictures. Nice work.

Some notes:
  • 18: This is the first I"ve seen of the Charging screen. I like it. Especially the detail "1.5 kW, 110V, 11/12A".
  • 19: Lacewood reminds me of ostrich.
  • 20: First close-up I've seen of the cupholders. Interesting that it has lacewood there as well.
  • 38: What is this of?

#38 was a pic of the rear window glass (taken from the inside - I reversed the shot so you could read the text) against a red wall. Just thought it was interesting that the glass read "prototype"....

Also the cupholders are a major fail - unusable really in the location where they sit as they are too far back to comfortably pick up any cup that is stored there - at least for the driver...

Kudos and thanks for the pictures. Nice work.

Some notes:
  • 18: This is the first I"ve seen of the Charging screen. I like it. Especially the detail "1.5 kW, 110V, 11/12A".
  • 19: Lacewood reminds me of ostrich.
  • 20: First close-up I've seen of the cupholders. Interesting that it has lacewood there as well.
  • 38: What is this of?

#38 was a pic of the rear window glass (taken from the inside - I reversed the shot so you could read the text) against a red wall. Just thought it was interesting that the glass read "prototype"....
Yah, the prototype caught my eye as well. Thanks for the follow-up info.

I didn't find much more detail on "30E", but in case others find it useful / interesting...

http://www.ameca.org/guides/2007%20Q2%20Section%2005%20--%20Safety%20Glazing%20Material.pdf
*****AGC AUTOMOTIVE AMERICAS DOT-376
070226 07 10 M 2H3S 1 AGC AUTOMOTIVE TEMPERLITE 30 (OR 30B) GREEN
070150 01 10 M 2H5 2 AGC AUTOMOTIVE TEMPERLITE 30B GREEN
070500 07 10 M 2H5 (E) 2 AGC AUTOMOTIVE TEMPERLITE 30E GREEN
070151 01 10 M 2L5 3 AGC AUTOMOTIVE TEMPERLITE 30B PRIVACY
070148 01 10 M 213 2 AGC AUTOMOTIVE TEMPERLITE 30B GREEN
070149 01 10 M 215 2 AGC AUTOMOTIVE TEMPERLITE 30B GREEN
070147 01 10 M 314 1 AGC AUTOMOTIVE LAMISAFE 30B GREEN
070023 01 10 M 834I 1 AGC AUTOMOTIVE LAMISAFE 30B GREEN
070225 07 09 M 834I 1 AGC AUTOMOTIVE LAMISAFE 30E (OR 30B) GREEN

AGC Automotive - Tempered Glass

Presumably it's one of these...
AGC Automotive - UV-Cut Glass

Last edited:
IMG4451-M.jpg

Mostly nice. But the speedometer doesn't pop out visually as much as I'd like. Remember, this is the main thing you need to read while driving!

Perhaps it looks different when moving? A big number for current speed or something?

I'm also going to want to be able to read both miles and kilometers for trips into Canada, and that doesn't seem available. Perhaps it's mile/kilometer configurable?

There are several pictures/videos of the car in motion. In those, the current speed is listed in large font at the center of the speedo circle (right above range).

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to change units from miles to km.

I'm pretty sure that this shot was taken with the lights on - thus it is probably the night mode. But I just don't remember so can't be sure one way or the other.

There are several pictures/videos of the car in motion. In those, the current speed is listed in large font at the center of the speedo circle (right above range).

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to change units from miles to km.

Great pics. Thanks!

IMG4451-M.jpg

On the driver's display, I find the Watt-hours over miles chart a little awkward. I'm guessing this has already been discussed elsewhere, but putting the ratio that way means lower is "better," which feels odd. I understand miles per kWh may seem "unimpressive" since the numbers would be 2, 3, 4, and fractional amounts in between. But it's a more natural way of expressing the efficiency, I think.

Overall, I like the clean graphic design. Minimalist and visually attractive.

Europeans use L/100km for their efficiency. Which is the same type of format as Wh/mile (energy/distance). After you use it for a while it makes sense. If you think about it smaller numbers this way means you are using less gasoline. It is just a different way of thinking about things.

I agree. It's much easier to compare cars using gallons/100 miles for same reason.
Since the display is digital, changing anything should be easy for Tesla. They talked about themes for the 17" screen before too.

Great pics. Thanks!

IMG4451-M.jpg

On the driver's display, I find the Watt-hours over miles chart a little awkward. I'm guessing this has already been discussed elsewhere, but putting the ratio that way means lower is "better," which feels odd. I understand miles per kWh may seem "unimpressive" since the numbers would be 2, 3, 4, and fractional amounts in between. But it's a more natural way of expressing the efficiency, I think.

Overall, I like the clean graphic design. Minimalist and visually attractive.

I know this is probably configurable but... What gets me every time is how the currently playing music takes up real-estate on the left. Surely you would be more interested in battery usage, GPS map, or just leaving the space blank to reduce distraction, than keep a pretty picture showing you what song you are listening to (if it's your playlist you would already know this)? #pointlessgriping

I actually like that. Our current vehicles have the current station and song, or if playing from HDD or iPod, the current song and playlist (no cover artwork though). It's cool info to have at a glance, and you can easily swap it out with another display if you wish (phone, GPS etc)

I know this is probably configurable but... What gets me every time is how the currently playing music takes up real-estate on the left. Surely you would be more interested in battery usage, GPS map, or just leaving the space blank to reduce distraction, than keep a pretty picture showing you what song you are listening to (if it's your playlist you would already know this)? #pointlessgriping

I think that can be changed. If you have a trip planned, the directions are supposed to be there with turn by turn from what I understood from the October event.