TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My garage renovation/Tesla Shrine

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pete8314, Jan 7, 2013.

1. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I'd always planned to kill some time by sorting out my garage while waiting for my Model S to arrive. However, because the window moved up a few months (from May to late Jan), it became my Christmas project, which, of course, overran, and got finished today. Below is the before & after photo, the full set of progress photos are here if anyone is interested. It was a fun project, but cutting the steel is tedious. I do still have all 10 fingers though, and both eyes. On that basis, it was a success :)

Before and after.jpg

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I have but one question:
    Under what conditions do you allow darts anywhere near your Model S?

3. ModelX

ModelX Member

Very Nice!! Would love for my garage to look like that!

4. K Hall

K Hall Member

Well done Pete! That is an excellent " Garage Mahal ". Excellent detail on the floor.

5. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Nice job. I did a similar black and white checkerboard pattern using Race Deck flooring in our garage.

6. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Never! The dartboard was a Christmas 2011 present, so I put it up to at least make the door less boring. I'm the only person in the house vaguely capable of playing darts, nobody else will be allowed, regardless of whether the car is in there or not!

7. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Pete! This is the bomb!!!

I plan on doing the same or similar garage flooring. Did you go to Costco or direct to Race Deck?

Love the lighting bead, brilliant idea. Light rope I presume?

And what throws it over the top is the Tesla logo. Tell us more on that? How did you make it? More pics on that plz. Should sell it.

It all starts with a simple coat of paint. Amazing how far that takes you. That's what I did this last summer, and cleaned/improved up my work bench area. But not yet to this level.

8. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I used the Costco race deck flooring. Best price per tile IMHO. I am putting the finishing touches on the project now. Pictures to come when I'm done...

9. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

I just ordered race deck tile at a discount directly from the manufacturer. Really good price, got the discount after mentioning I am a member of The Garage Journal forum. The owner of race deck post there frequently as well, and you can find tons of great info if you are planning a garage do-over.

Will post pictures when I'm done. Like Pete, I've been working in my garage over Christmas, and now it's become a race against the clock. I have a delivery window from Jan 15-29 but secretly hoping my Model S isn't ready until the end of the month. :wink:

10. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Very nice creation.

- - - Updated - - -

11. napabill

napabill Active Member

You do a 2 car floor? If so, what was the approx cost? Love the look.

12. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

The B&W tiles were from Costco (Motofloor) as they were the cheapest, the red tiles came from Bigfloors. They have a good online designer, meaning that you really only order what you need. The Costco tiles come in bulk needless to say, but it worked out that I only had a few B&W left, and 1 red, which I think Bigfloors threw in for free.

The Tesla logo is explained more in this thread.

The lights were something of an afterthought, but I used the LED strips from here, (recommended by Babylonfive on the Tesla T thread) with the 12v power supplies powered by an occupancy sensor. It's basically a sticky tape with LEDs, very low-profile, and very easy to fit. Would likely be an excellent option for additional light in the frunk/trunk too, as long as there's an easy 12v supply to tap.

And yes, it didn't start this big. As a result of making my garage spotless, the other double garage is a complete mess, and my next project.

- - - Updated - - -

Cost for my single (13.5ft x 19.5ft) was about $700 for the tiles.

13. Tesla 940

Tesla 940 Member

I recently completed an oversize 2 car garage - about 780 sq ft. With the ramps the total cost was about $2,200 direct from Race Deck - free shipping and only need to buy what I needed. I thought about the white/black but thought the white will show every speck of dirt. Ended up using a pattern we saw in the Race Deck brochure - kinda high tech using "Alloy" color with black borders and a few blues. I'm not sure I have a completed picture to post.

The garage is large enough to have a 50's coke machine in the corner, a '38 restored gas pump, and have a walk/don't walk sign on the far wall. Still looking for a school bus retractable "stop" sign (long story).

14. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Looks great. Very creative.

15. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Photos or it didn't happen :)

Love the sound of your other accessories, that could be my new obsession.

16. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

#16 mcornwell, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    Actually, 3 car (2 +1). Cost was around $2k. I'll dig up a picture it.

Edit: just remembered I posted pics in a prior thread.

17. Tesla 940

Tesla 940 Member

I don't have a clue how to post pictures - where can I learn how to post??

18. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I did a 2 car floor (20' x 20') and the approx. cost was about $1100 using the Costco floor tiles. I went with Alloy and Black checkerboard.

19. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

It's pretty easy, see the screenshot below from this post, just click the Insert Image button shown, and browse to the file(s) on you computer....then select Upload, and that's it.

1-11-2013 4-56-24 PM.jpg

20. Tesla 940

Tesla 940 Member

Garage Floor

This is the 1938 gas pump

IMG_0861.JPG

This is the old garage floor - vinyl tile doesn't stick very well to cement and would crack with the weight of the 4-post life.

IMG_0765.JPG

Here is the floor in process

IMG_0854-1.jpg

Never took a picture when it was all done - will do next time at the house.

This is the outside

IMG_0762.JPG