Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Great Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to post about my great service experience:

I was a somewhat early delivery (P1577). Some of you may know that I had been experiencing a few mysterious drivetrain faults over the first month or so of ownership. Tesla analyzed the logs and didn't find any issues. Eventually, they decided to replace the drive inverter to be on the safe side and so that engineers could do more analysis on the inverter to see what might be causing the faults.

So, I had my car up at the Maryland service center last week. Despite not having my car for a few days, Nathan (service manager there) and the techs did a great job.

-They replaced the inverter, and the car has been super-solid.

-They adjusted the chrome trim on my doors--and finally it's aligned!!

-They fixed a rattle that was driving me crazy. It's gone!! :)

-I've never had a door handle issue since the 4.2 software update came out. Handles have worked perfectly, 100% of the time.

-I asked them to check the range on my key fobs. Not sure what they did, but they adjusted something so that my door handles now seem to be presenting at just the right time (I would have to get too close in the past).

-They washed the car and charged it up for me.

Now, all Tesla needs to do is make sure these issues don't come up soon after delivery. I expected issues being an early VIN. But with the exception of a few minor panel misalignments, everything else is fixed. The cabin is quieter than ever and it feels really solid.

Just wanted to send kudos to those guys. I'll forward this on to Nathan and Joost.

That made me chuckle too. I appreciate the post because sometimes TMC can seem like a dumping ground of problems, despite the overwhelming rave reviews, and it's refreshing to hear a positive experience. Nice to give the service guys kudos too.

That made me chuckle too. I appreciate the post because sometimes TMC can seem like a dumping ground of problems, despite the overwhelming rave reviews, and it's refreshing to hear a positive experience. Nice to give the service guys kudos too.

Yeah, the positive experiences are definitely underrepresented here. It's human nature. There's not much water cooler gossip about positive things in life :).

Just wanted to send kudos to those guys. I'll forward this on to Nathan and Joost.

Great to hear this. I need to call them about a few minor things, mostly not really service issues (the only service thing is replacing a paint armor piece with bubbles that they never called me to schedule for), so it's very good to hear they do such a good job. I had a great delivery (er, pick up) experience there.

I'm curious how many of those issues they fixed were pointed out by you vs. they discovered them and fixed them? Sounds like you had a great experience, it'd be even better if they were proactive in discovering other issues for you and taking care of them.

I'm curious how many of those issues they fixed were pointed out by you vs. they discovered them and fixed them? Sounds like you had a great experience, it'd be even better if they were proactive in discovering other issues for you and taking care of them.

There are plenty of Roadster owner stories of just that. I've personally experienced it (replacing all the shocks when I didn't even know I had a problem), so have others. Here's an awesome example of how Tesla service operates (and involves a current forum member): Tesla dismantles Roadster for owner’s repair just before warranty expires | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

Let's applaud them for a job well done and leave it at that. I'm sure Todd went in with a list. It would have been counterproductive to not tell them and see what they found.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Todd.

It's also human nature... we're so tuned to mediocre service that when we do get good service, many people assume that they were given a "special pass". I've felt that way before (not with Tesla), and it keeps me from saying too much because if the guy for Company X did something out of policy, I don't want him to get in trouble by having it publicly known. I'll even call his manager over and say "thank you, Person Y did a great job in addressing my needs and I want you to know that," but I won't give any details -- that's Person Y's job.

We do, however, hear the "good Samaritan fired" stories, unfortunately.

It shouldn't be that way in good customer service, but it is.