Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My grid outage frequency issue is resolved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good info in various threads on this topic. Thanks!
I applied the PREPA Off Grid 83 yesterday via the Installer Toolkit, and noticed there is a PREPA Off Grid 60 in my list as well. I have not looked, but assume this would be 60% / Hz with slightly higher Slow Freq Cutoff since 60% would take about 1.7Hz increase to fully curtail. I can't see the info on the profiles until AFTER I apply and propagate them to my micros (Then hit the info / i button but will probably take a look.
I suppose the next step is to call Tesla and get them to reduce the max frequency. 62.5Hz max should allow my UPS to continue to pass through and hopefully not affect LED lights and pumps too badly? I suppose Tesla will ultimately decide?
Does this frequency change get overwritten once new firmware is pushed to the TEG?

For reference, I have 11.4 kW array with 30x IQ7+ micros and 3x PW2's, installed Oct 2019.

@Jaidmaster can you share the full 60 profile? I'm specifically interested in the Over Frequency Limits, fast/slow, the frequency, and timings. I've applied the 83 profile and it's set to 65.0hz @ 160ms (fast) and 61.8hz @ 1000ms (slow). Since my Powerwall is configured to max out at 62hz the fast will never trigger and slow may be too slow if the PV is kicking out max and the Powerwall is totally full. I'm thinking I may need to update fast to be 61.8hz as well (or update slow to 160ms).

@Jaidmaster can you share the full 60 profile? I'm specifically interested in the Over Frequency Limits, fast/slow, the frequency, and timings. I've applied the 83 profile and it's set to 65.0hz @ 160ms (fast) and 61.8hz @ 1000ms (slow). Since my Powerwall is configured to max out at 62hz the fast will never trigger and slow may be too slow if the PV is kicking out max and the Powerwall is totally full. I'm thinking I may need to update fast to be 61.8hz as well (or update slow to 160ms).
Yes, I will have to apply the profile to my micros to be able to view it - not sure why that is, but it seems like it should be safe. I will do it this evening when generation is low. :)
I had the same concern about never being able to do a fast shutdown of the inverters if the PW max frequency is lowered but I don't know enough about it to know if it could be a real problem or not. Maybe fast shutdown in the microgrid is not needed?

Yes, I will have to apply the profile to my micros to be able to view it - not sure why that is, but it seems like it should be safe. I will do it this evening when generation is low. :)
I had the same concern about never being able to do a fast shutdown of the inverters if the PW max frequency is lowered but I don't know enough about it to know if it could be a real problem or not. Maybe fast shutdown in the microgrid is not needed?

My "worst case" scenario is full PV production, about 6.4kw for my system 100% SoC and a sudden grid outage. The Powerwall inverter can handle 1 second of 6.4kw (see https://www.tesla.com/sites/default.../Powerwall 2_AC_Datasheet_en_northamerica.pdf - "real power: peak") but if it is at 100% SoC can the battery take the 1.8 watt hour* charge? Seems like it should but I'm no electrical engineer. If the Powerwall notices after 193ms (two 62hz cycles) that the PV flow isn't abating as it expects is there something it'll do like flip a breaker?

(6400 watt seconds / 60 minutes / 60 hours = 1.8 watt hours)

upload_2020-2-19_8-19-54.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the double image - I don't see any way to edit the post...

No problem, appreciate the info!

I like the slower production ramp down but looks like over frequency fast is still 65hz and the 0% production level is 61.86hz (60.2 + 1/0.6). I think there is some protection from the ramp down functionality in the scenario I gave earlier but it's unclear how fast that actually responds - if it's slower than over frequency slow then it doesn't offer any protection. Would be safest for sure to turn the over frequency fast down to 61.9hz for my Powerwall configuration of 62hz max.

Interesting too that the over frequency slow is 61.8hz - that means that you'll never get to use the 0-3.6% production range on the ramp down for more than a second since the 0% level is at 61.86hz...

Wonder if the curtailment is actually linear or if the %s are just for convenience.