Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY heat pump performance in hot temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the MY heat pump performance in summer high temperatures?
Living in Tucson and our summers get well over 110 degrees I am concerned!
Our M3 A/C works fantastic and would hate to trade it for a MY and be disappointed.
Seen threads where it doesn't perform well in extreme cold which is no surprise.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
Our M3 A/C works fantastic and would hate to trade it for a MY and be disappointed.
Seen threads where it doesn't perform well in extreme cold which is no surprise.
A heat pump is an air conditioner that can work in reverse. The fact it can be a heat pump doesn't affect the abilities in hot weather.

Can't vouch for 110-degree weather but 99-104 temps here in FL last summer "0" issues, if this helps a bit to you.
There have been some questions regarding more artic conditions, from our friends in the north, but the discussions evolve into the refrigerant variety and its min temp etc. But I haven't heard or read of any issues as of yet, regarding high temps and pump the ability to cool.

The issue isn't the heat pump but the glass roof and rear hatch glass. You would want to install a sun shade for both the glass roof and the hatch glass. You would also want to tint the front windshield and side windows. The roof has a factory tint treatment for UV and IR.

It actually works really well in cold weather. The compressor can run in an overdriven mode that generates a lot of heat that the system can pump into the cabin.

I would say it worked just as good as my model 3 resistant heating, including about a 100% efficiency rating. (which sounds good, but heat pumps should be able to do like 200% or 300%; 100% out of a heat pump is basically the same as resistance heating which just sucks down the energy)