Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My heater went POP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking on TOGUK on Facebook it seems this is becoming a massive issue? :(

My car is a June 2017 built MS 75D, the heater gave off a burning smell yesterday and then 30mins later a VERY loud POP... then no more heating :(

Leeds service centre are ordering me a new heater, no ETA on when it will arrive though due to the large quantity of failures, also no loan cars left.

Going to try and stick it out in a cold Tesla so I don't have to drive a big dirty diesel which is likely the loaner I'd end up with, obviously that might not be possible if I have issues with the screen fogging up and being unsafe to drive :(

I’m pretty sure mine is on the way out. Acting very strange recently. Wouldn’t clear the windscreen last night no matter what setting it was on. Quite worrying as I was on the A1 at the time.

I’m pretty sure mine is on the way out. Acting very strange recently. Wouldn’t clear the windscreen last night no matter what setting it was on. Quite worrying as I was on the A1 at the time.

I keep it set to "auto" and occasionally have to double tab the front demister. The system keeps the aircon on which helps dry the air. I've never had a problem in nearly 28k miles.

Most of the reports I've read occur when the settings are set manually.

Looking on TOGUK on Facebook it seems this is becoming a massive issue? :(

I don't know about "massive" but certainly worrying. I think the TOG poll suggested about 10-15% but impossible to know how representative that is of the wider ownership community. I have to admit that, plus the yellow screen border problem, terribly buggy software and poor parts supply etc don't instill confidence in the brand.

If the current pricing isn't adjusted and £90k is the entry level much as I love my car I can't see me getting another one. I'm just hoping things will turn around before I'm in a position to think about changing in a year or two.

Reactions: Shermo
I keep it set to "auto" and occasionally have to double tab the front demister. The system keeps the aircon on which helps dry the air. I've never had a problem in nearly 28k miles.

Most of the reports I've read occur when the settings are set manually.

Me too, but still only on 16k miles and 28k is not exactly galactic mileage. Hopefully ours won't go POP any time soon!

Also still waiting for my yellow screen to be fixed, but that is a minor issue I can live with for now.

Definitely wouldn't be buying a Tesla now at 90k starting price!

The biggest issue with all of this is the amount of time it takes for them to get parts in, I can deal with a blown heater if they said the part would be here in X days, not "we have no idea, expect several weeks"

Mine went a week ago. June 2018 MS100D. Currently have a Mercedes 350 S Class with no ETA on the fix. Birmingham service centre are waiting for parts, they did say they would reimburse the diesel cost.

They need to hurry up, I’ve put £100 in the merc in a week!

Shocking really on a 100k car, I know things break but it shouldn’t take as long as it is for spares.