Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My horrible experience in 10 months ownership of a CPO Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had non stop issues with my car and issues have resulted in multiple visits to the service centers each time claiming the issue has been resolved but in fact they have not.

In the past 10 months of ownership of this car, I've been back for multiple issues over 9 times. The car was a CPO model S that was purchased back in September 2017. I was told in the middle procuring the car that it had been in a minor accident and Tesla would make sure it would be repaired to the highest standards. Here are some of the most memorable visits and my experiences.

1) Brake pedal was making a loud squeaking sound each time the brake was applied. This resulted in needing a new brake booster that would take 3 weeks to arrive. After the brake booster was received, I was given a call to take the car back in. I took the car in. A few hours later, I get a call and was told the wrong part had been ordered, so we would need to wait all over again. I arrive at Palo Alto and was about to pick up the car. I noticed a Tesla part box in the trunk and asked what it was. It turns out the brake booster was in the trunk. So I made an unnecessary trip from work to the service center. The brake booster was replaced and the sound was gone.

2) When in reverse, the wheels would rub against the front fender liner. Palo Alto Service tried replacing the liner and confirmed the issue had been fixed. I pick up the car and noticed it was still rubbing and the issue was not resolved. Ultimately, I took it to Dublin service center and they had to replace the front bumper carrier which fixed the issue.

3) Brakes squeaking when coming to a stop. After 3 seperate visits at Palo Alto, each time claiming the issue has been resolved and picking the car up and bringing it back, it turns out the front rotors needed replacement which Dublin did and claimed that the rotors did not look like they were replaced at all even though Palo Alto said they did.

4) A couple months into ownership of the car, the drivers door would not close shut and left me stranded. A mobile tech came out to work and replaced the door hinge and lines. He noted that the body shop did a really terrible job on the repair and it was "Mickey Moused" and would eventually break again if they did not replace a cable for the lock.

Car shaking upon acceleration. Took the car to Dublin. Tech found rear half shafts needed replacement. While the shaking is better now and not as noticeable, its still there.

5) Most recent visit (Palo Alto) - MCU Touchscreen had bubbles. Touchscreen was replaced. Upon picking up the car and driving half way back to work, an airbag indicator light stays lit. I immediately take the car back. Tech updated the software while I went back to work and confirmed the airbag issue has been resolved. I go pick up the car after work, and 5 minutes into the drive, the airbag light comes back on and the issue is not resolved and I have to take the car back in again next week...

This has been an extremely frustrating experience with this car and bringing the car back multiple times to get it fixed. I was a day one Model 3 reservation holder who ultimately cancelled my reservation deciding to go with a CPO Model S that was promised to be delivered in the highest Tesla standard. I am regretting my decision since I am now stuck with a car that has been in the shop non stop. I was hoping back in April after the half shafts were replaced, I finally can rest a bit until the touchscreen decided to go back and now I have to deal with an airbag issue.

I've escalated to Tesla for executive review through the portal. Let's see what they can do for me.

I am on my third tesla and I wish I could say that you story is unique or rare. It sounds frustrating but the Dublin SC did fix all of the issues so I would start there in the future. I really enjoy the car but have no love for Tesla (the company). I have been waiting on several parts (drivers inside door panel, LTE module and pano roof seal) for months. Over 7 months now for the door panel (tesla installed the wrong panel uring a service visit). Just the nonsense you have to put up with if you want to own the car.

Again, hope it all works out for you in the future.

So sorry to hear about your troubles but at the least you bought your CPO when Tesla had standards and refurbished cars they sell. Imagine if you had no idea what you were buying on top of all your issues.

Also be glad everything was covered by warranty. Seems like at this point they have fixed and addressed everything wrong with the car.

And this is why you should never own one of these cars out of warranty. Looks like you've incurred $6,000+ in repairs in just your 10 months.

Reactions: WISluggo
This is NOT giving me the confidence I need prior to my CPO delivery tomorrow :(

Everything mentioned by the OP are mechanical issues covered by warranty. I would not worry about the mechanical aspects as at least the warranty will cover them.

I would make sure your car is not trashed, damaged, scratched, or dinged at delivery though as that's how they now deliver some CPO cars.

If anything, the OPs post is why should not own one out of warranty.

This is NOT giving me the confidence I need prior to my CPO delivery tomorrow :(
I've purchased two CPOs and am happy that I did. One when Tesla was doing full refurbishment and the other after they had switched their program. I feel for OP for sure, but still believe he's the unfortunate exception vs. the rule. This is not to minimize his experience in any way.

Everything mentioned by the OP are mechanical issues covered by warranty. I would not worry about the mechanical aspects as at least the warranty will cover them.

I would make sure your car is not trashed, damaged, scratched, or dinged at delivery though as that's how they now deliver some CPO cars.

If anything, the OPs post is why should not own one out of warranty.

That reassurance doesn't resolve what this really is: A time and convenience issue. What is the point of having a $500 part replaced under warranty if you miss $500 of work to do it?

That reassurance doesn't resolve what this really is: A time and convenience issue. What is the point of having a $500 part replaced under warranty if you miss $500 of work to do it?

The point is you are not out $500 for being out of work PLUS an additional thousands in repairs. :p

I hear what you are saying though and not disagreeing. My point is if he gets a CPO car that is damaged, he will incur expenses at a body shop plus time out of work whereas a mechanical issue will not incur additional out of pocket expenses.

What's obviously better is a car that is both undamaged and mechanically sound.

Yeah, Tesla’s aren’t the most reliable of vehicles, and one should take that into account when deciding to purchase. My 2013 CPO was relatively trouble free, but our 2015 was decidedly not. It actually ended up being towed to the service center a week after buying it for the power steering issue that is now a recall. It has also needed fairly major suspension work (not half shafts yet) for a car with only 50k miles. My 3 has had lots of little issues, but nothing that has stopped it from driving.

We basically always have a list of “things that need to be fixed”, and wait until the problem gets annoying enough, or we have enough stuff on the list to take the cars down to the SCs. A lot of that is the fact that my work is 2 hours from the nearest SC, so it is a huge hassle to take the cars down during business hours. Weirdly, getting a loaner almost makes it more of a hassle, because then I have to pick the car up within a day or so of it being finished since I have their loaner. Sometimes, we forego the loaner just so we can schedule pickups of the cars on our schedule and not theirs. Luckily, we have an extra ICE for those times.

Still love the cars. Won’t own one out of warranty, tho.

:confused: You can't say stuff like that around here! :eek:

I plead forgiveness!!! It is our pickup truck that we use for desert fun and hauling crap from Home Depot. I suppose if Tesla’s eventual truck will be a good backcountry traveler we may consider it. It will be a tough sell tho - right now we can strap down 5 gallon cans of gas in the back and be pretty self sufficient fuel-wise out in the Death Valley backcountry. Would have to buy a portable solar setup to do the same with an EV truck. Maybe someone will make solar covered camper shells some day.

I plead forgiveness!!! It is our pickup truck that we use for desert fun and hauling crap from Home Depot. I suppose if Tesla’s eventual truck will be a good backcountry traveler we may consider it. It will be a tough sell tho - right now we can strap down 5 gallon cans of gas in the back and be pretty self sufficient fuel-wise out in the Death Valley backcountry. Would have to buy a portable solar setup to do the same with an EV truck. Maybe someone will make solar covered camper shells some day.

What you need is... Bollinger B1 | Bollinger Motors

Reactions: mspohr and henderrj
Both half shafts were replaced. An alignment was done. I'm not sure if the wheels were balanced. It was just taken in for annual service as well back in April.

Defiantly have your wheels balanced, be meticulous - make sure you don't have a bent rim. Mine balanced within spec, but the wheel was bent enough to cause a vibration. The tech didn't check - he just blindly added wheel weights until the machine told him the wheel was balanced. I found the offending wheel, replaced it, and bam, drives just like new.

FWIW, I have 19" rims, I hear 21" rims are easy(er) to bend.

Update: I was getting my car back today. Less than a block away from the dealership, I noticed my steering wheel was upside down, but I'm going straight! Then the stability control turns off and says contact service. It's back at the shop once again. One thing after another. Honestly, I no longer feel safe driving the car. I hope Tesla does the right thing and takes the car back...

Reactions: xanatos