Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My horrible experience in 10 months ownership of a CPO Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I was getting my car back today. Less than a block away from the dealership, I noticed my steering wheel was upside down, but I'm going straight! Then the stability control turns off and says contact service. It's back at the shop once again. One thing after another. Honestly, I no longer feel safe driving the car. I hope Tesla does the right thing and takes the car back...

This is ridicules, I hope you have picture or video to show.

Yes good thing I took a picture of the errors on the screen.

Attachments

• 549FFA35-0F97-4BDA-A57E-7BFB25CCFCE8.jpeg
    549FFA35-0F97-4BDA-A57E-7BFB25CCFCE8.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 376F502A-E04C-4EE2-AD8E-CD9F46BC5605.jpeg
    376F502A-E04C-4EE2-AD8E-CD9F46BC5605.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 84
Update: I was getting my car back today. Less than a block away from the dealership, I noticed my steering wheel was upside down, but I'm going straight! Then the stability control turns off and says contact service. It's back at the shop once again. One thing after another. Honestly, I no longer feel safe driving the car. I hope Tesla does the right thing and takes the car back...
this is a new one

Reactions: P85_DA
Got a call from service saying the car has been fixed... Whoever installed the airbag module installed the wheel crooked which caused the traction control light to go off. Also had to get the car realigned. Will be picking up the car later today. Not feeling too great as each time they work on the car, something else goes bad...

After I got my touchscreen replaced due to bubbling, the car started throwing warnings for the airbag. They found the harness needed replacement, which resulted in a one week wait. When they got the airbag fixed, somehow my alignment got messed up. Let's see what happens today.

There are no CPOs anymore. Just used cars.

Good luck!
Used cars are used cars. Even "CPOs" are just used cars. They will have problems. I think that some people thought that they were getting a "like new" car when they were just getting a used car. Best to reduce expectations. You are buying a used car. Beware. Tesla will make a good faith effort to fix things under warranty but, as the OP points out, it can be difficult to get everything in "like new" condition.

Wow! Reading threads like this make me glad I took the "dumb" route and bought a car through a dealer. I was thinking I night have screwed up because I couldn't buy the extended warranty. But, after 8 months and 10k miles, this car has been absolutely perfect.

I have surmised that the reason this car is so good is that is was built in Feb 2015 - NOT during the end of quarter rush. My recommendation to anyone buying a used Tesla would be to determine when it was built. And if it was built in March/first 10 days of April, or June/first 10 days of July, or September/first 10 days of October, or December/first 10 days of Jan - DON'T BUY IT!!

So the best build periods in my opinion are:
Jan 11-Feb 28th
April 11 May 31st
July 11 August 31st
Oct 11 November 30th

Just a theory. Check out my window sticker and note the Date of Manufacture - 02/2015.

Attachments

• Tesla window sticker.png
    Tesla window sticker.png
    223.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
I have surmised that the reason this car is so good is that is was built in Feb 2015 - NOT during the end of quarter rush.
Interesting theory. Our Jan 2015 CPO has been pretty solid too - certainly none of this noise. At least they are trying to take care of it - though the upside down steering wheel and messing with alignment experience seems like a big step in the wrong direction.

So sorry to hear about your experience OP. It seems routine service problems and broken parts are the norm not the exception for tesla.

What is silly is the amount of money tesla is blowing on labor and parts fixing these shoddy cars.

The cars are cool but the company is sh*t.

So sorry to hear about your experience OP. It seems routine service problems and broken parts are the norm not the exception for tesla.

What is silly is the amount of money tesla is blowing on labor and parts fixing these shoddy cars.

The cars are cool but the company is sh*t.

Perhaps it depends on the area but we could not be happier with Tesla service where they live. I've been happy with everything since we looked into buying a CPO car and that's really the only sh*tty service I've experienced from Tesla.

It might just be a matter of them tracking complaints to individual people and take steps to remove any bad apples that are tarnishing the company. Certainly if someone installed the steering wheel upside down, they probably should be installing any steering wheels!

The Tesla service where we live could not be nicer and more professional. I love them so much that I take a box of donuts when we take our car in :D

Got a call from service saying the car has been fixed... Whoever installed the airbag module installed the wheel crooked which caused the traction control light to go off. Also had to get the car realigned. Will be picking up the car later today. Not feeling too great as each time they work on the car, something else goes bad...

Looks like they are trying their best to take care of you, I would try and enjoy the car.

@TeSULa I think you forgot /s