Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Hydroplaning Experience in MS 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the strong torque you felt might be from the side collision avoidance kicking in as you suspected. There was a time when I was trying to pass a car from the left on a curvy part of the highway that had a wall with 0 shoulder like yours. I must have hit it pretty close to the wall, and I clearly felt the steering wheeling locking tight on its own, preventing me from turning it further. I do not know if I'd hit the wall had it not kicked in (I don't think so based on my memory of the situation), but it certainly made sure of that.

I think the strong torque you felt might be from the side collision avoidance kicking in as you suspected. There was a time when I was trying to pass a car from the left on a curvy part of the highway that had a wall with 0 shoulder like yours. I must have hit it pretty close to the wall, and I clearly felt the steering wheeling locking tight on its own, preventing me from turning it further. I do not know if I'd hit the wall had it not kicked in (I don't think so based on my memory of the situation), but it certainly made sure of that.

Has anyone tested side collision avoidance? Does the car actually do that? Any sources?