Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My journey to a "within spec" Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am one of the earlier Tesla Model Y Performance owner. I received it back in March 30, 2020. Here's my journey to an almost perfect Tesla Model Y that Tesla Service Center has to do in 5 months and 7 repairs after it has been delivered.

If you wonder would I still pick up Model Y knowing what I know: YES, I will still take the car. I have enough faith in the company after owning Model S and I'm lucky to live close by a few Tesla Service Center. If I want a luxury car, I would pick Mercedes. If I want a perfect craftsmanship vehicle, I would pick Porsche (and I had one for 3 years). If I want a smooth ride, I would pick Lexus (had one for 11 years). Tesla is more than a standard transportation vehicle and I'm loving it!

Vin 819 here, PUP 3/2020 purchase, I'm on service #5, so far 3 services to fix rear hatch, waiting on last one #5, for lift gate once more, it already had 2 weeks at a body shop to "fix it"... also on 3rd spoiler.

Hi Bro, 3360 here! Regarding to the spoiler...the new one that was installed via mobile service is slow coming off. I can see a minor gap already and it's on the left side this time. I am just going to wait on that. I feel the curve isn't enough so it pulls itself away from the trunk.

Reactions: mac9899
Hi Bro, 3360 here! Regarding the spoiler...the the new one that was installed via mobile service is slowly coming off. I can see a minor gap already and it's on the left side this time. I am just going to wait on that. I feel the curve isn't enough so it pulls itself away from the trunk.
Yes, the Spoiler is too stiff IMO, the edges need either a better fit or better adhesion, the M3 performance also suffered a lot from this. Also did the heat pump acoustic cover, so much better!

Reactions: firerock
Issues that have been discovered:
- Panel gap
- Paint chip
- Front trunk open notification
- Liftgate doesn't latch (alignment)
- Rear seat panel coming off
- Spoiler is coming off
- Door sill plate is coming off
- Window trim/brightwork scratch due to software bug
- Both signal repeaters are loose
- AC compressor acoustic blanket added
- Trunk trim on liftgate is not secure (broken clips)
- Rattling rear seat (not fixed, I added a microfiber cloth between seats and that solved it)
- Charger port not opening (inconsistent issue, not fixed)

• Informative
Reactions: FormationLap
Issues that have been discovered:
- Panel gap
- Paint chip
- Front trunk open notification
- Liftgate doesn't latch (alignment)
- Rear seat panel coming off
- Spoiler is coming off
- Door sill plate is coming off
- Window trim/brightwork scratch due to software bug
- Both signal repeaters are loose
- AC compressor acoustic blanket added
- Trunk trim on liftgate is not secure (broken clips)
- Rattling rear seat (not fixed, I added a microfiber cloth between seats and that solved it)
- Charger port not opening (inconsistent issue, not fixed)
ugg....

Seriously, this is a nightmare with no excuse. Firerock, you have the patience well beyond most of us. Your story (and plenty others) have made me decide to cancel my order and wait for something better. This cumulatively, is totally unacceptable, tech car or otherwise. I had heard and seen for myself, some of these issues, but your story and experience is quite startling. What gets me is the repairs on top of repairs and failures on top of failures. I can't imagine I would ever have that much patience. Thanks for posting your story and to the others. By the way I posted a comment on the regular Tesla forums about this subject, simply that I wouldn't take delivery with so many gaps in the panels, My post was deleted by mods. wow...

I checked out Santa Monica showroom today. And to my surprise, the Model Y Performance on display still has similar build issue (if not worse than mine) and the paint on the hood had so many bubbles that I was surprised it passed the QA for display.

Again, I'm not here to diss Tesla, I have been Model S owner for over 5 years and now Model Y owner. I still love the brand and products it manufactured. We, as customers, could and help them by providing productive feedback.

Reactions: teko
Inspection of a recent demo unit at a Maryland dealer shows large gap differences in panels and trim alignment. Some models there were better than others. The worst was the newest. It's fun to drive, but these little problems would be relatively easy for tesla to avoid alltogether, and when compared to a similarly priced car though, it's impossible to ignore the many flaws and the many days or weeks in service. This is not an easy fix. I don't want to drive loaner cars for days on end in a pandemic or otherwise. These are not isolated issues. I'm afraid I just can't press go. I really really wanted to.

Inspection of a recent demo unit at a Maryland dealer shows large gap differences in panels and trim alignment. Some models there were better than others. The worst was the newest. It's fun to drive, but these little problems would be relatively easy for tesla to avoid alltogether, and when compared to a similarly priced car though, it's impossible to ignore the many flaws and the many days or weeks in service. This is not an easy fix. I don't want to drive loaner cars for days on end in a pandemic or otherwise. These are not isolated issues. I'm afraid I just can't press go. I really really wanted to.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with waiting for the quality control issues to get fixed before you finally press go. :) Holding a company to a minimum acceptable level of QC is to be expected. Tesla needs to learn that they can't just throw cars together and sell them, even if they are the highest tech, hottest design, most efficient car ever. We expect our cars to be well built and reliable.

Nothing wrong with waiting until your standards are met before you buy. If more people did so, Elon might finally take QC issues more seriously.

Reactions: teko and firerock
We rejected 25225 on 08/01and were waiting on a replacement car when I decided to just put the order on hold for approximately 6 months. Hopefully the cars coming out next spring will have less of the issues we encountered on a car built on July 12th.

I am currently at #4 and have a 5th appointment on 9/2. Feels like I don't even own a Model Y and just drive random Model S and X every other week. Is there such a law where if Tesla has to make repairs to your vehicle a certain number of times, can you return it for a refund or get another vehicle?

• Informative
Reactions: CyberShy
I am currently at #4 and have a 5th appointment on 9/2. Feels like I don't even own a Model Y and just drive random Model S and X every other week. Is there such a law where if Tesla has to make repairs to your vehicle a certain number of times, can you return it for a refund or get another vehicle?

You can look up our Lemon Law, but it's vague in language saying the manufacturer gets a "reasonable number of attempts."

https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

You can also contact a Lemon Law attorney who will know if you have a case or not. I believe many Lemon Law attorneys take cases on a contingency basis, at least that's what I've heard. I've never needed to Lemon a car.

Didn't I read something about Tesla moving the factory soon and a new paint/color technique? Maybe a fresh start. This is just quite depressing to see all these problems that could have been easily avoided. In about 18 months or so, there will be multiple competent EV options in the mainstream. Tesla needs to take note!

Didn't I read something about Tesla moving the factory soon and a new paint/color technique? Maybe a fresh start. This is just quite depressing to see all these problems that could have been easily avoided. In about 18 months or so, there will be multiple competent EV options in the mainstream. Tesla needs to take note!
This is true if one cares more about how the paint looks than superior technology. As much as I’d like to see Tesla improve in this area, I’d still never buy another ICE vehicle from current OEMs. They have shunned new tech, safety and innovation for decades. Elated to have an superior alternative even with the flaws. (BTW my 2018 Model 3 is virtually flawless)

Keep an eye on the new Austin factory. These issues will be resolved. At this point Tesla will be superior in every respect.