Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY just went up $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, you're right. That sucks... I've got my order in with the price drop a couple months ago and just took it off hold. From what I gather, you ca can put an order on hold for 6 months or something like that.

$500 on a $53,000 car is enough to make you not want one?
It adds up though. That also means higher tax and that’s money that could have been spent on registration or accessories so it’s an unexpected expense that may well be a deciding factor for some. But then again one could always gamble on a future price shuffle.

Ahhh, I am done. This is the 2nd price increase. I was going to be ordering in the next week after finding out about a work bonus but now I am rethinking.
Not to single you out but this surprises me that a 1% change in price would affect people’s decisions so dramatically. If so, why didn’t you place an order when the price was right for you and just delay purchase until you are ready?

I am also surprised that small price movements in Tesla vehicle prices garner so much news. My wife has been waiting on a Kia telluride since we put a deposit down last December. During that time the price has changed at least 4 times. Not once did it make the news or get this much attention. Not only did the price change but it doesn’t sound like Kia will honor the original price we were quoted when we made the deposit. At least with Tesla they will honor the original price.

Not to single you out but this surprises me that a 1% change in price would affect people’s decisions so dramatically. If so, why didn’t you place an order when the price was right for you and just delay purchase until you are ready?

I am also surprised that small price movements in Tesla vehicle prices garner so much news. My wife has been waiting on a Kia telluride since we put a deposit down last December. During that time the price has changed at least 4 times. Not once did it make the news or get this much attention. Not only did the price change but it doesn’t sound like Kia will honor the original price we were quoted when we made the deposit. At least with Tesla they will honor the original price.
$500 for a Tesla buyer isn’t a lot. It’s the fact that the prices keep changing and the principle of it. It leaves a sour taste in someone’s mouth.

$500 for a Tesla buyer isn’t a lot. It’s the fact that the prices keep changing and the principle of it. It leaves a sour taste in someone’s mouth.

but why? And why follow and stress over all the changes. Did you do this with all prior car purchases? The price when you decide to buy is all that matters.

All car companies constantly change prices also. Rebates come and go, finance deals come and go, certain trims get price adjustments, different dealers make different price deals with customers, even same dealership will charge different prices for same car depending on what they can negotiate, etc.

I guess I don’t understand why people make such a big deal about it when this has been going on with car companies forever and applies to most industries.

Edit: just reread my post and sounds like I am attacking you. I don’t mean that. I agree that it sucks when the price of anything goes up before a purchase. I guess it just seems people follow Tesla price changes differently for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: ratsbew
but why? And why follow and stress over all the changes. Did you do this with all prior car purchases? The price when you decide to buy is all that matters.

All car companies constantly change prices also. Rebates come and go, finance deals come and go, certain trims get price adjustments, different dealers make different price deals with customers, even same dealership will charge different prices for same car depending on what they can negotiate, etc.

I guess I don’t understand why people make such a big deal about it when this has been going on with car companies forever and applies to most industries.
When I did purchase an ICE vehicle the last 10 years I have never stepped foot into a dealership prior to knowing what I will be signing off on the dotted line. This includes the value of my trade in.

I cringe on the thought of walking into a dealership. It’s like throwing someone into a cage with a hungry lion. They price gouge enough people who don’t know what they’re doing that someone like me who comes along once in a while they give them what they’re ant and move on. Tesla makes it easier to deal with from start to finish.
Sometimes it takes speaking to 4,5,6, etc...dealerships, but I have always operated that way.

Reactions: Dayreg
When I did purchase an ICE vehicle the last 10 years I have never stepped foot into a dealership prior to knowing what I will be signing off on the dotted line. This includes the value of my trade in.

I cringe on the thought of walking into a dealership. It’s like throwing someone into a cage with a hungry lion. They price gouge enough people who don’t know what they’re doing that someone like me who comes along once in a while they give them what they’re ant and move on. Tesla makes it easier to deal with from start to finish.
Sometimes it takes speaking to 4,5,6, etc...dealerships, but I have always operated that way.

former car salesman here
Throughout the model year, ICE cars would often creep up in price. I'd say there would be a $200-500 difference from the beginning of the model year to the end sometimes as far as MSRP went
also incentives like rebates and finance rates always fluctuated period to period. (and yes they would sometimes go down to be less attractive but not usually)
The only reason people don't notice is that most will go into a dealership and buy within a week or two and buy something that is on the lot or can be obtained through dealer trade. It was rare that someone ordered a car from the factory to their exact options. Unless they came in near the rebate deadline it wouldnt even be a consideration that the price was lower 6 months ago.

Now I was a salesman over 20 years ago and it's a whole new ballgame. There is still a process of being a good consumer or else you can overpay (especially in the F&I office with the aftermarket crap), but ultimately dealers don't play as many games with negotiations as they used to due to the availability of information through the internet and the ability to do much of the negotiate through email or getting quotes

Edit: just reread my post and sounds like I am attacking you. I don’t mean that. I agree that it sucks when the price of anything goes up before a purchase. I guess it just seems people follow Tesla price changes differently for some reason.
You are right prices do change and sales end. The problem is those other manufacturers have expiration and end dates so there is predictability. Tesla does not have announcements on when a sale ends or a price change takes effect. As someone mentioned it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

former car salesman here
Throughout the model year, ICE cars would often creep up in price. I'd say there would be a $200-500 difference from the beginning of the model year to the end sometimes as far as MSRP went
also incentives like rebates and finance rates always fluctuated period to period. (and yes they would sometimes go down to be less attractive but not usually)
The only reason people don't notice is that most will go into a dealership and buy within a week or two and buy something that is on the lot or can be obtained through dealer trade. It was rare that someone ordered a car from the factory to their exact options. Unless they came in near the rebate deadline it wouldnt even be a consideration that the price was lower 6 months ago.

Now I was a salesman over 20 years ago and it's a whole new ballgame. There is still a process of being a good consumer or else you can overpay (especially in the F&I office with the aftermarket crap), but ultimately dealers don't play as many games with negotiations as they used to due to the availability of information through the internet and the ability to do much of the negotiate through email or getting quotes
Correct. In fact I used to text my local salesman who helped finalize an offer on a vehicle. They sent two people to my home to pick up my vehicle that I was trading in as well. This was well before the Covid age.

Last edited:
You are right prices do change and sales end. The problem is those other manufacturers have expiration and end dates so there is predictability. Tesla does not have announcements on when a sale ends or a price change takes effect. As someone mentioned it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Not just sales come and go but prices change unexpectedly as well. While waiting for my non Tesla car the price of the interior trim color I wanted increased $300 and the inland freight and handling fee went up $100. Not to mention manufacturer rebates that came and went. The worse part about it is they aren't going to even honor the price that was agreed to when I put down the deposit. Tesla is at least known to keep the price what it was when you make the deposit/order.

Am I correct in that it has gone up $3k in the last few weeks? I did a configuration a couple weeks ago that I swear came out to $61k, now it's $64k. And the loan amount is definitely $100 more a month.

Following recently, what is the history of prices fluctuating down, such as towards the end of the quarter?

Am I correct in that it has gone up $3k in the last few weeks? I did a configuration a couple weeks ago that I swear came out to $61k, now it's $64k. And the loan amount is definitely $100 more a month.

Following recently, what is the history of prices fluctuating down, such as towards the end of the quarter?
I took delivery late February (LR)
price went down $1000 3 days prior to my delivery (yay!) and SR was being offered
went back up $1000 2 or 3 weeks later and SR disappeared off of website
went up $500 today
so net price hike is $500 on MYLR since mid February unless I'm missing something (and I do recall the performance getting a bump in price at the same time the LR went down but I wasnt paying attention to that)