Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My key fob got auto-locked inside the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of times I left the key inside the Tesla Model S and the doors locked. Since the other key was available in the house, I was able to unlock the car using the second key. What if the other key was not available? What if the phone w app was in the car, too? How would I get into the car? Why doesn't Tesla prevent locking a key inside? My other automobiles (Lexus, Toyota) do not allow the doors to lock when the key is left inside. Please let me know if you have a solution.

...What if the other key was not available? What if the phone w app was in the car, too? How would I get into the car?...

There have been multiple reports of thefts because a fob was left inside a Tesla.

I read in this forum that a dad accidentally left his fob in his Tesla but he was quite happy that he was able to lock the car with his phone app.

Until, from a distance, he saw his kids walked to the car, touched the door and the car unlocked for them!

In your case, why don't you do a test: Roll the window down and place your fob in the car in such a spot that you can easily retrieve from outside.

Do what that dad did: lock your car with your phone app.

Now go back to your car and touch the car handles.

If that doesn't work, go to the hatchback and manually open it!

A couple of times I left the key inside the Tesla Model S and the doors locked. Since the other key was available in the house, I was able to unlock the car using the second key. What if the other key was not available? What if the phone w app was in the car, too? How would I get into the car? Why doesn't Tesla prevent locking a key inside? My other automobiles (Lexus, Toyota) do not allow the doors to lock when the key is left inside. Please let me know if you have a solution.

There is a solution.

There have been multiple reports of thefts because a fob was left inside a Tesla.

I read in this forum that a dad accidentally left his fob in his Tesla but he was quite happy that he was able to lock the car with his phone app.

Until, from a distance, he saw his kids walked to the car, touched the door and the car unlocked for them!

In your case, why don't you do a test: Roll the window down and place your fob in the car in such a spot that you can easily retrieve from outside.

Please note that on newer model vehicles you need to do more than touch the handles. The handles require a firm press inward then the handles will extend.

My “solution” was to turn off walk away lock. Now I have to press the fob to lock the car every time, but I always know when it’s locked. I have auto-present turned on, so it still unlocks as I approach the car, so it hasn’t been too inconvenient.

I have heard that if the fob is near a cell phone when left in the car, (say, in a purse), that you could get locked out.

• Helpful
Reactions: ArizonaP85
purple, don't give up so quickly. There's a chance the trunk is unlocked (when the fob is locked inside the doors) So go try the trunk. If it unlocks the worse is you have to crawl through the space to get to the doors. Can't guarantee when the trunk is going to be unlocked in this situation, but it does occur. Not sure what the combination of events were.

DrReid is right on the money. Find someone and ask them to download the app. Then using your userid and password to unlock it. Then immediately delete the app from their phone. Or use someone's phone and call someone you know has the app. You can always change the password if you give it to someone you do not trust.

You have to admit, that's a lot more flexibility for its security than nearly every other manufacturer.

purple, don't give up so quickly. There's a chance the trunk is unlocked (when the fob is locked inside the doors) So go try the trunk. If it unlocks the worse is you have to crawl through the space to get to the doors. Can't guarantee when the trunk is going to be unlocked in this situation, but it does occur. Not sure what the combination of events were.

DrReid is right on the money. Find someone and ask them to download the app. Then using your userid and password to unlock it. Then immediately delete the app from their phone. Or use someone's phone and call someone you know has the app. You can always change the password if you give it to someone you do not trust.

You have to admit, that's a lot more flexibility for its security than nearly every other manufacturer.
Better hope both the phone and the car have connectivity! I drive in areas pretty often where one or both are lost.

A couple of times I left the key inside the Tesla Model S and the doors locked. Since the other key was available in the house, I was able to unlock the car using the second key. What if the other key was not available? What if the phone w app was in the car, too? How would I get into the car? Why doesn't Tesla prevent locking a key inside?
If the fob is left in the car and the handles retract, the car is not "locked". Just tap the door handle and it will open.
@purplecast as pointed out by @Russell, if the fob is in the car it should not be locked (meaning you can’t get in by pressing the door handle. So are you saying that with your fob in the car and the handles retracted, when you touched the handle to get it to extend it did not extend? Or did you simply not try touching the handles and assumed the car was locked?

It happened to me at the weekend. Keys on back seat, closed door and it autolocked. 20 secs of panic and pressing handle!! Until I thought 'oh yeah, iphone app!'. 10 secs later and got it opened.

Slightly worried it did this though!

My “solution” was to turn off walk away lock. Now I have to press the fob to lock the car every time, but I always know when it’s locked. I have auto-present turned on, so it still unlocks as I approach the car, so it hasn’t been too inconvenient.

I have heard that if the fob is near a cell phone when left in the car, (say, in a purse), that you could get locked out.
So, I'm confused... how is 'walk away locking' locking the car with the fob in the car, since that works by locking the car when you walk away with the fob in your pocket? What am I missing here?

So, I'm confused... how is 'walk away locking' locking the car with the fob in the car, since that works by locking the car when you walk away with the fob in your pocket? What am I missing here?

If the signal from the fob is blocked inside the car (by being near a cell phone for example), the car thinks the fob "walked away" and locks the car.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger

Useful tip to try, thanks. I'm not sure distance can have anything to do with, but giving it a bit of time still sound useful.

This isse happeend to me on the Model X after taking the new passive entry disabling into use. The key was inside and suddenly the car decided to lock itself simply from closing the door (it seems a bit illogical when it remains open and when it locks itself).

I didn't think to try Tam's trick, I retrieved the spare key instead. I will keep the idea in mind, maybe it works, who knows.

All I know is, it happened to me too. And I was standing right outside the door, immediately after pushing it shut - wouldn't re-open after an immediate try to open it as I realized the key was inside...

I appreciate everyone's responses. I am a brand new owner with a lot to learn–fun!

Handle
Russell wrote: If the fob is left in the car and the handles retract, the car is not "locked". Just tap the door handle and it will open.
ecarfan wrote: So are you saying that with your fob in the car and the handles retracted, when you touched the handle to get it to extend it did not extend? Or did you simply not try touching the handles and assumed the car was locked?
1MoreUsername wrote: Please note that on newer model vehicles you need to do more than touch the handles. The handles require a firm press inward then the handles will extend.
My response: After seeing the key fob inside the car, I in fact touched the driver's handle, but it did not extend. I'm glad to learn now that when the handles retract, the car is not locked because I had heard that when it's set to Auto-lock, I could walk away from the car and it'd lock itself. I left in a parking lot a few times that way. After reading the above I went to my car, put the key fob inside on purpose, went away, and waited for the handles to retract. I approached the car, touched the driver's handle, but got no reaction. I pressed the handle with greater force, but it still did not extend. Then I went to the back seat handle, touched it, and the handles presented themselves for opening. I'm glad the back door handle presented, but why not the driver's door?

Key fob-phone interaction
Az_Rael wrote: I have heard that if the fob is near a cell phone when left in the car, (say, in a purse), that you could get locked out.
My response: My iPhone was not in the car, so there was not interaction with the key fob.

Tesla app on the phone
DrReid wrote: If the key fob and your phone were both truly locked inside the car, you just need someone else to download the app onto their phone. You can sign in on their device and unlock the car.
My response: I didn't try to open the car with the phone app, since my other key was nearby. However, I wondered about the hypothetical situation if both items were left inside unintentionally and car and I were in a remote place. I am hopeful that if that were to happen, I'd be among other friendly Tesla drivers with smart phones. Or just any other friendly person with a smart phone, patience, time, and willingness to help. And cellular or wifi service.

Trunk
Akikiki wrote: There's a chance the trunk is unlocked (when the fob is locked inside the doors) So go try the trunk. If it unlocks the worse is you have to crawl through the space to get to the doors. Can't guarantee when the trunk is going to be unlocked in this situation, but it does occur.
My response: I did not try opening the trunk. I have never thought of climbing into the trunk, or know that it's possible to crawl through the trunk into the interior of the car. However, after reading your response, I did open and climb into the trunk. I have discovered how roomy the trunk is and how to unlatch the back seats so as to climb through. Of course, as mentioned, this solution can work only if the trunk latch is unlocked.

Turning features on/off
Az_Rael wrote: My “solution” was to turn off walk away lock.
My response: I realize I can turn it off, and I probably will for peace of mind. I just thought Tesla is such an advanced technology company that it would be able to address these issues in engineering or software.

Connectivity
iluvmacs wrote: Better hope both the phone and the car have connectivity! I drive in areas pretty often where one or both are lost.
My response: I can see how if the phone battery is dead, one wouldn't be able to connect. But assuming both have battery, do the car and the phone both need to have cellular service to connect?