Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My key fob got auto-locked inside the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife had this happen at the day care in the morning..
I took my Model S to Tesla for servicing (window seal adjustment–unrelated to this post's topic). Employees assured me that my car does not lock with the handles retract. I also learned that the new model's handles require greater pressure to extend than the older models, so now I push harder on mine than on my brother's older Model S. Glad that you were able to unlock your wife's car with the iPhone app. But when you have time, why don't you experiment: put the key inside the car, walk away, return, press one or more handles firmly, and see if the car is still unlocked although the handles had retracted.

If the signal from the fob is blocked inside the car (by being near a cell phone for example), the car thinks the fob "walked away" and locks the car.
This happened to me (my phone and fob were in the car) and the spare fob was 30 min away back home. I called Tesla from a land line. After a few questions to verify my identity, they sent a remote unlock signal to the car. The handles presented and I got back in. Obviously, this only works if the car has cell connectivity.

This is a major issue.

I heard that this was a possibility, so when I am getting out of the water surfing, and changing out of my wetsuit, I would set the key on top of the car so that I would not get locked out. The problem with this is now I have lost two keys, since it will let you drive off with the key on top of the car. You will not know it's gone until you get to your destination and realize you no longer have a key.

So, now I have shifted to placing the key on top of the dash, inside the car while getting ready. But yesterday, while loading the car with the key on the dash and my phone inside the car, it locked itself. I was stuck, with no way to get into the car. I tried the trunk, pressed on the handles and the car was completely locked. Luckily this happened while at home, loading the car, and not at the destination where I would have been totally effed.

Every other car I have owned is "aware" if the key is inside the car. It should NEVER auto lock when the key is inside. We need an update to this...

A couple of times I left the key inside the Tesla Model S and the doors locked. Since the other key was available in the house, I was able to unlock the car using the second key. What if the other key was not available? What if the phone w app was in the car, too? How would I get into the car? Why doesn't Tesla prevent locking a key inside? My other automobiles (Lexus, Toyota) do not allow the doors to lock when the key is left inside. Please let me know if you have a solution.

Simple solution. I locked my phone and fob in the car a few months ago. So I borrowed someone’s phone, downloaded the app, entered my user name and password, and voila, car unlocked.

Reactions: Akikiki and mrElbe
Every other car I have owned is "aware" if the key is inside the car. It should NEVER auto lock when the key is inside. We need an update to this...
As has been stated in here your Tesla will only auto lock if it can no longer detect the fob. The only way this happens while it's in the car is if something is blocking the signal (including if it's left in a place, like the cup holders, I believe, where the signal can't transmit). This is true of any manufacture that uses the auto-lock feature.

If you're that concerned with being locked out, just turn the auto-lock feature off. Otherwise, just remember not to leave it in a dead zone in the car.

As has been stated in here your Tesla will only auto lock if it can no longer detect the fob. The only way this happens while it's in the car is if something is blocking the signal (including if it's left in a place, like the cup holders, I believe, where the signal can't transmit). This is true of any manufacture that uses the auto-lock feature.

If you're that concerned with being locked out, just turn the auto-lock feature off. Otherwise, just remember not to leave it in a dead zone in the car.
It's not quite that simple - I keep my fob in a pocket, attached to other car keys, fobs, etc. That pile of electronic doo-dads is enough to occasionally block the signal from the Tesla fob if things are oriented "just right." If I walk up to the car with the whole collection in my pocket the car will often not sense the key (I need to press the fob to unlock).

I once opened the door, tossed the jacket with all the keys in the pocket onto the passenger seat, closed the door, and got locked out. The car "saw" the fob as I walked up and unlocked. After I put the jacket on the seat, the car no longer saw the fob inside and locked the car.

I think this is the reason why many manufacturers don't have an auto lock feature.

Doesn't your pants or coat have two pockets? Burden as it may be maybe put the car fob in a different pocket, or sell the car and get a bicycle (no doors to lock). :) Ahhh, all the third world problems that we must work out on this forum. We ALL should be on someone's advisory committee.

Doesn't your pants or coat have two pockets? Burden as it may be maybe put the car fob in a different pocket, or sell the car and get a bicycle (no doors to lock). :) Ahhh, all the third world problems that we must work out on this forum. We ALL should be on someone's advisory committee.
Who, me? It's not really a problem for me; I usually keep the keys in my pants pocket (the lockout thing was an anomaly, not an ongoing problem). I can't really keep the keys separately, else I'll grab one without the other, etc.

It's not quite that simple - I keep my fob in a pocket, attached to other car keys, fobs, etc. That pile of electronic doo-dads is enough to occasionally block the signal from the Tesla fob if things are oriented "just right." If I walk up to the car with the whole collection in my pocket the car will often not sense the key (I need to press the fob to unlock).

I once opened the door, tossed the jacket with all the keys in the pocket onto the passenger seat, closed the door, and got locked out. The car "saw" the fob as I walked up and unlocked. After I put the jacket on the seat, the car no longer saw the fob inside and locked the car.

Ok, but I guess I'm failing to see how any other manufacture that use auto lock wouldn't be subject to the same issue.

I think this is the reason why many manufacturers don't have an auto lock feature.

Indeed, but that's also why Tesla gave us the option to turn the feature off if it doesn't suit our needs

Here's my solution. Did I mention this also makes me look super cool?

44.png

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki

Did you read my post? The key was was on top of the dash, right in front of the steering wheel...there is zero chance that is a dead zone.

Why can't people accept that there is an issue with the software, which could be fixed if Tesla looked into it and threw a couple of devs on it.

To suggest I don't use an option that I expect to work, is not the right answer. The Mercedes, BMW and Audi's that I have owned with keyless systems have never locked a key inside. Period.

There is an issue with the Tesla solution and it will leave someone stranded.

Please do not reply to this message with "work arounds", I am not interested.

I prefer a fix.

Did you read my post? The key was was on top of the dash, right in front of the steering wheel...there is zero chance that is a dead zone.

Why can't people accept that there is an issue with the software, which could be fixed if Tesla looked into it and threw a couple of devs on it.

To suggest I don't use an option that I expect to work, is not the right answer. The Mercedes, BMW and Audi's that I have owned with keyless systems have never locked a key inside. Period.

There is an issue with the Tesla solution and it will leave someone stranded.

Please do not reply to this message with "work arounds", I am not interested.

I prefer a fix.

I missed that. I don't believe your car was locked with the key on the dash board, the handles just retracted, but it wasn't locked.

If your car does in fact lock in that situation, then that's a bug specific to your car that you should have the service center look at. That's not normal behavior, certainly not how my car acts in that situation.

This has happened to me several times at the car wash. I just tested it again in the garage and it retracts the door handles using both fobs and will not re-present them no matter which handle I tap, push or push harder. Also tried the trunk release and that doesn’t work either.

Currently have Tesla doing some remote diagnostics and I’m waiting to see where that leads.

This is a problem no if’s and’s or but’s about it and needs to be addressed.

I do keep my iPhone close by when I need to leave the key in the car but that’s just a work around.

This has happened to me several times at the car wash. I just tested it again in the garage and it retracts the door handles using both fobs and will not re-present them no matter which handle I tap, push or push harder. Also tried the trunk release and that doesn’t work either.

Currently have Tesla doing some remote diagnostics and I’m waiting to see where that leads.

This is a problem no if’s and’s or but’s about it and needs to be addressed.

I do keep my iPhone close by when I need to leave the key in the car but that’s just a work around.

I had the exact same thing happen to me at the car wash yesterday. I put the fob in the cup holder and left the car with them. They closed the door, came back, and couldn't get in. We pushed every door handle and tried the trunk, but nothing. They rocked the car thinking that might jog the fob, but no. I had turned off the remote mobile access in the car, so I had to call the wife to bring the spare fob. By the way, isn't it necessary that the car lock with the fob in it? Otherwise, how could you keep strangers from entering when you are in the car with the fob?