Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY key fob no longer on Tesla store site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model Y key fob was on the Tesla website for purchase a few weeks ago. I just took delivery of my MY and now it looks like the fob is not on the Tesla store anymore.

Anyone know if it's out of stock? Are they discontinuing it? Or is a new version of the key fob coming out?

I don’t understand the hate for key fobs. Almost every single car in existence comes with one. I personally would only use the fob and not phone key, if I could get my hands on one for both my Teslas. Swapping between cars in the app has its fair share of bugs.

Most people probably only have one Tesla.
Let me rephrase, almost every single car in existence comes with a key fob. A key fob is way easier and more simple than an app. When most of the time I only open the app to unlock my car. Seems silly, when a fob can just be in my pocket and unlock when I open the car and the trunk. Phone key works when it wants to. Even with location always on and keeping the app open on my phone, phone key works about half the time. So regardless of owning multiple Teslas a key fob would be easier and preferred by me. If phone key works great for a lot of people then that’s good. I’ll just take a fob any day.

Reactions: andaconda
I don't think there's actual hate of the key fob but I suspect there are very few people, and Tesla owners in particular, that don't already carry a smart phone and or smart watch capable or performing the same actions so why carry both? Simplify! Oh and yeah the $250....

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart
I'll come to the defense of the key fob. I like mine and never wave the card around or dink with my phone. Kudo's to Tesla for providing multiple choices to customers: card, fob, and phone.

People can decide which one they like. For always-on phone people, the phone works great. For slim-line cashless wallet folks, the card works great. And for folks like me, the fob is in my pocket and just does whatever it needs to do. I just walk up, open the door, hop in, and drive away.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Reactions: bicar and Corndart