Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Key Fob Opened Someone Else's Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a feeling the driver of that car left the fob inside.
I agree. Yesterday my 90D was in for service and I mentioned that handles were not extending on walk up, requirng a push on the handle or a double click on the key fob. Yes the setting was enabled.

The technician was puzzled until they found I'd left my second key fob in the center console (doh!!!!).

I believe it opened due to pushing in the handle and unlocking due to key n the car, not related to the "other" fob.

Walk within fob range of your S and double click the top. The handles present. However, do not open any door or the lift gate. Walk away. In about a minute the handles will retract. Now, to prove what I am describing, take the fob away from the car, maybe back in the house. Move it far enough away that you are satisfied its not within range of the car. Walk back to the car. Touch a handle. It will present. Now you can open the door.
I appreciate what you are saying. Just want to note that if you have "Walk Away Door Lock" enabled in Settings / Vehicle when you walk away with the fob and the handles retract and the car will be locked. Correct?

If you have "Walk Away Door Lock" disabled then the scenario you describe will indeed occur, as far as I know.

I appreciate what you are saying. Just want to note that if you have "Walk Away Door Lock" enabled in Settings / Vehicle when you walk away with the fob and the handles retract and the car will be locked. Correct?

If you have "Walk Away Door Lock" disabled then the scenario you describe will indeed occur, as far as I know.

I believe the act of manually opening the car with the key fob double click temporarily overrides walk away lock, and so the car would be unlocked unless a door was opened and closed.

This is one of the myriad of reasons why I don't use walk away lock. It's easy enough for me to use my key fob and always know the locked state of the car.

Hi. No, this is equal to manually unlocking the door. It does not have anything to do with Walk away door locking.

I believe the act of manually opening the car with the key fob double click temporarily overrides walk away lock, and so the car would be unlocked unless a door was opened and closed.

This is one of the myriad of reasons why I don't use walk away lock. It's easy enough for me to use my key fob and always know the locked state of the car.

Az_Rael is correct. I had not thought of calling it manually unlocking the car, but he may be exactly right.

In case someone didn't know, the fob holder and double click and unlock the car and the handles present. But don't open a door or the lift gate, just walk away. In a minute the handles will retract, but the car is left unlocked until someone approaches and touches a handle to present and pulls the door open. Yes, this is risky. Don't know why Tesla designed the car to do this.

Good point for those who don't read their manuals
From the owners manual, Page 7:
"Note: If all doors are closed and you use the key to unlock Model S, walk-away locking is temporarily suspended until the next time Model S powers on (such as when you press the Brake pedal to engage a driving gear), or until you use the key again to lock Model S. This allows you to keep Model S unlocked in your garage."

In the situation in this tread I bet the owner of the car just left his FOB in the car. I have done this many times. A touch on the handle and it opens but does not present upon approach. Had nothing to do with the other FOB.

Reactions: Akikiki