Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My key opened someone else's tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walked out to my car this evening. Was in a different spot than I thought, but I opened the trunk via the button on the car. Looked inside and it didn't look like my stuff. Shrugged figuring my wife had driven it and put my bag in. Closed the trunk, went to get in and (before opening the door) realized it wasn't my car. Quickly opened the trunk, got my bag, and got out of there.

I happen to know the owner so I asked her if a key was in it... Nope.

Trying to solve this mystery or tesla has a major security problem.

Another thought: if someone hacked your tesla password, could they not install the app, find the location of your car, open it up, start it, and drive off?

Walked out to my car this evening. Was in a different spot than I thought, but I opened the trunk via the button on the car. Looked inside and it didn't look like my stuff. Shrugged figuring my wife had driven it and put my bag in. Closed the trunk, went to get in and (before opening the door) realized it wasn't my car. Quickly opened the trunk, got my bag, and got out of there.

I happen to know the owner so I asked her if a key was in it... Nope.

Trying to solve this mystery or tesla has a major security problem.

Another thought: if someone hacked your tesla password, could they not install the app, find the location of your car, open it up, start it, and drive off?
Maybe the car had a key left inside it by mistake - so was already unlocked?

You actually opened the trunk of your friend’s car with your remote? Unless she or someone else punk’d you by swapping fobs, then it’s a strange and naturally serious issue.
I’d def call service about it, with your friend present, and see if they have data pertaining to which fob commanded the trunk to open.
Going to follow this thread for sure...

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
You actually opened the trunk of your friend’s car with your remote? Unless she or someone else punk’d you by swapping fobs, then it’s a strange and naturally serious issue.
I’d def call service about it, with your friend present, and see if they have data pertaining to which fob commanded the trunk to open.
Going to follow this thread for sure...

No the OP states he hit the button on the car. The car must have been unlocked and has nothing to do with his fob.

Maybe a dumb question but is it possible to leave a Tesla unlocked? I seem to recall that if I unlock the car with the fob and walk away without the "walk away lock" setting on, the car stays unlocked. The handles may retract but if you push them without having the fob nearby, they will come out and you can open the door.

Maybe a dumb question but is it possible to leave a Tesla unlocked? I seem to recall that if I unlock the car with the fob and walk away without the "walk away lock" setting on, the car stays unlocked. The handles may retract but if you push them without having the fob ne

I agree that this is how it works.

Also, even with auto-lock, if one door isn’t fully closed (my kids sometimes don’t close them firmly enough) then it won’t autolock.

While not discounting the possibility that the OP was correct in his original assumption that he opened another locked Tesla (which, if true, would have meant that his fob was recognized by the car and allowed the trunk button to unlock the vehicle)...given all the possibilies noted by the posters above...I think we could apply Occam’s Razor here and probably conclude that, for whatever reason, and known by the owner or not, the car was probably already unlocked when OP arrived.

Of course, like I mentioned before, if the OP knows the owner, they should be able to get together again and re-test under more controlled circumstances.

Lacking that, I tend to agree the other car was likely unlocked already. Seems the most likely scenario anyhow.

There was another thread, by a first-post new member, just like this a while back...

The car was left unlocked, the OPs fob didn't unlock someone else's car. If you unlock the car with anything but the fob it doesn't auto lock on it's own, you have to manually re-lock it.

Jeff
Are you referring to using the buttons on the fob or just having the fob on your person? There are settings for auto-lock once you walk away from the vehicle.

Besides that, I've used the app to unlock my car, then once the doors are closed again, it re-locks.

There was another thread, by a first-post new member, just like this a while back...

Are you referring to using the buttons on the fob or just having the fob on your person? There are settings for auto-lock once you walk away from the vehicle.

Besides that, I've used the app to unlock my car, then once the doors are closed again, it re-locks.

Truth be told I can't quite remember exactly what behaviors trigger which when it comes to fob presence vs fob buttons... I do know though from my own testing and experience that if I don't have the fob on me and I unlock the car with the app, it will not re-lock on it's own. I have to go back to the app to lock it.

Jeff

I remembered when I had a Volt. Parked in the parking lot with another Volt of the same color, same everything. I was in the car waiting for my wife to return to the car from the store. The owner of the other Volt walked to my car, opened my trunk, and dropped his goods inside my car. I was smirking since I knew he would be confused. After he shut the trunk, I exited the car and said "Hi, sorry, this is my car."

I purposefully parked there just to test if the other Volt owner knew that it was not his car.

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
Truth be told I can't quite remember exactly what behaviors trigger which when it comes to fob presence vs fob buttons... I do know though from my own testing and experience that if I don't have the fob on me and I unlock the car with the app, it will not re-lock on it's own. I have to go back to the app to lock it.

Jeff
I just went and tested it on my car, no fob, unlocked with app, opened the door, a few minutes passed, closed the door, auto-locked and folded the mirrors, app status showed the car is locked as well, could not re-open by touching the handles.

maybe you didn't allow enough time to lapse for it to lock on it's own? Also, I do have 'walk-away door lock' ON selected.

Last edited:
I just went and tested it on my car, no fob, unlocked with app, opened the door, a few minutes passed, closed the door, auto-locked and folded the mirrors, app status showed the car is locked as well, could not re-open by touching the handles.

That is absolutely not my experience but I'm not going to debate this with you. There are a few settings that control this and I'll let others chime in on that part as I don't have time currently to walk this path to completion.

Jeff