Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Kid threw USB Drive Down the Front Air vent. Help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello:

I was in the midst of showing my kid that I could play Sonic in the car now. Lo and behold he decided to put the USB sentry drive from the glovebox in the passenger front air vent….never to be seme again.

It is not rattling. I tried to get my hand deep on the air vent area in frunk. Any ideas on how to get it back?

That's going to be an expensive repair if you take to the service center :-(

You might try to get one of those magnets on a flexible wand and see if you can find it. Otherwise, just get a new USB stick, install, and format it. Then forget about the old one. Hopefully it won't cause any harm to the ventilation system.

Use a flash light to see if you can see it through the vent.

May be try to look at the air filter, located I believe at the bottom side of the central console, to see if the USB drive went all the way through.

Or may be try to localise the USB drive by inserting something soft but rigid enough (like a #12 or #14 AWG stranded copper wire).
And then try to make like a little hook when found if accessible.

Otherwise, may be ask to the service center if there is a risk of the USB blocking one of the fans?
Or try to run at the fan first at slow speed to check for any suspicious noise,
and then run at Max speed to see if this will push back the USB drive?

tesla-model-3-hvac-patent-drawing.jpg