Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Least Favorite Sound In My Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a ride from Cathedral City to Phoenix to go to the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Auction. Autopilot for 90% of the trip. Only one phantom braking incident. I discovered a new sound that I really don't like and there is nothing Tesla can do to fix it. It is the sound of rocks hitting the glass windshield and I assume roof as well. One of those clacks caused a small chip on the passenger side of the windshield near the black border. My guess is it is too close to the edge to be sealed? None of the online scheduling services for Tesla seem to be functional today. I've read that Tesla no longer deals with windshield repairs anyway. I suppose I should contact my insurance company (GEICO) and see what they direct me to do? Beware the CLACK!!!!!!!

I installed the roof edge gasket today since I was worried about rocks finding the exposed edge of roof glass and cracking it. Looks good. Says it reduces wind noise but haven't driven it yet today after install.
PhotoEditor_20190119_215802298.jpg

I installed the roof edge gasket today since I was worried about rocks finding the exposed edge of roof glass and cracking it. Looks good. Says it reduces wind noise but haven't driven it yet today after install.View attachment 370287
Hmm interesting. I'm not bothered by wind noise (I use the stereo to negate wind noise) but your point about reducing risk of rock damage to the leading edge of the roof piece is intriguing to me. What did you buy (link??). Thanks.

OP, man it is PAINFUL to hear all the nonsense that hits the windshield generally as I go through construction zones on highways. Seems like every highway in America is under construction right now. I've noticed several pitting spots on my windshield lately when washing/drying the car, and I'm only 20k into the car's odometer to date. Is there such a thing as "soft" glass because I don't recall my other cars pitting so quickly, although I wasn't paying attention to other cars with the possible exception of my 2000 Nissan Maxima LE which I adored and still regret selling too soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: suwaneedad
There is so much debris on every highway the only way to avoid it is to never drive. Around here if I turn off the music I often can hear the bombardment with rocks, sand, garbage as I drive and it makes me cringe.

I took a ride from Cathedral City to Phoenix to go to the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Auction. Autopilot for 90% of the trip. Only one phantom braking incident. I discovered a new sound that I really don't like and there is nothing Tesla can do to fix it. It is the sound of rocks hitting the glass windshield and I assume roof as well. One of those clacks caused a small chip on the passenger side of the windshield near the black border. My guess is it is too close to the edge to be sealed? None of the online scheduling services for Tesla seem to be functional today. I've read that Tesla no longer deals with windshield repairs anyway. I suppose I should contact my insurance company (GEICO) and see what they direct me to do? Beware the CLACK!!!!!!!
Why would that be Tesla’s fix to repair? No car company covers damaged windshield. This gets covered under your comprehensive.

Did I ever say this would be Tesla's responsibility? This was intended to be as light a reaction to a bad situation as I could muster.

“None of the online scheduling services for Tesla seem to be functional today. I've read that Tesla no longer deals with windshield repairs anyway.”

Were you just calling to socialize with Tesla Service? I read it as you were expecting something from them. My bad.

“None of the online scheduling services for Tesla seem to be functional today. I've read that Tesla no longer deals with windshield repairs anyway.”

Were you just calling to socialize with Tesla Service? I read it as you were expecting something from them. My bad.
Up until recently, Tesla was the only place to get a replacement windshield. Now all windshields are replaced by third party providers. I'm learning as I go, just like the rest of us.

Currently not available
Another link... They have stock:
Tesla Model 3 Windshield Roof Wind Guard Noise Lowering Reduction Quiet Seal Kit

Make sure you warm roof and tubing in sun for a few minutes. Do not overheat tubing. Slightly stretch and use finger tip to push into gap. If you stretch too much you may have excess when you get to end. Front and back require stretching to get thinner tube, but sides gap was wide enough so no stretching needed. There is a small rubber union that connects both ends. This only fits on side gap, so placed it on drivers side door area near corner of windshield. Took less than 5 minutes to install.