Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My left foot is bored!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming from a manual transmission to the Model S was less upsetting than I thought it would be. The strong re-gen made it feel like I was downshifting and I had control of the re-gen with just a slight adjustment forward or backward with just my right foot.

Having the vehicle for a while, I've had lot of time to think about this. I drive my manual transmission vehicle from time to time and there are defiantly times when I just want to coast. In neutral. With no fuss, I just push on the clutch pedal with my left foot and leave the car in gear and coast for a bit. And when I finally need to stop, I let off the clutch pedal slowly and the engine braking kicks in.

I often use this technique to slow myself coming into a bend and then release the clutch and hit the accelerator to power through the turn.

I find that trying to power through a turn unsatisfying in the Model S.

Recently, I saw the news of the Performance Plus package. Sounds nice. If only they had put in a pedal for my left foot. You know, to control the rate of re-gen. It is a PERFORMANCE model is it not? Should we not be able to control our own re-gen and satisfy our left-right brain needs? Are we not men? Are we not.. Ok, I'll stop there.

I know the whole "I want to be able to adjust re-gen" thing has been beaten to death in other/older threads. But I thought to re-kindle it with this whole "Performance Plus" package non-sense. Why not go the extra mile and actually allow us to control some of that performance and have a little fun with the car!? Maybe emulate a neutral drop by disabling the traction control when both feet are on both pedals?

The "clutch" pedal should operate something similar to this:

When not on the clutch, the Standard re-gen takes effect. As the clutch is depressed, the rate of re-gen decreases until at some point, the car is in "Neutral" and no amount of pressing the accelerator would have any effect. Emulating a manual transmission vehicle in 3rd gear.

I love my standard 85 MS. Put a left pedal in there, and I'd gladly trade it in and shell out a few extra clams for the _REAL_ Performance model. Heck, maybe there'll be a third party mod - it's not a seriously difficult thing to implement.

I use my N in my S sometimes then you are trying to time the accelerator with the re-gen when you put it back into drive.
but maybe a little intermittent switch could be added to the foot area

I do the same. That's what makes me feel like it should be a no brainer to implement.

I have issues with the PRND stalk to begin with - it does not belong in this car at all - it is clumsy and poorly implemented.

But prejudice aside, it's a left brain-left brain thing to get it into N to coast, I have to gingerly push the stalk with my right hand- like it's tea time or something - vs. a nice stomp on a pedal with my left foot (using the right side of what I have left of a brain!). your method is also not conducive to spirited driving - "did I push the stalk far enough? Why is it beeping at me? wait, I did'nt push it far enough. Damn it!"

For me at least, part of the thrill of unleashing the power is the left-brain-right-brain concert that goes along with driving a stick.

As I said before, I think the accelerator pedal is a fantastic feat of design and engineering leaving the driver to not have to think about dialing in regen or "engine" braking. But sometimes I'd like to do the driving, thank you very much :)

I have issues with the PRND stalk to begin with - it does not belong in this car at all - it is clumsy and poorly implemented. ...

Elon has said he hates the whole Mercedes steering stalk. Done for budgetary reasons. You can bet future cars will be all Tesla not German handmedowns.

- - - Updated - - -

The other day I was in a car that had little buttons behind the steering wheel. Not stalks or paddles but raised buttons that change radio settings. Would be cool for regen if too many stalks were a problem for someone.

Not to nitpick your suggestions but spirited (track) driving leaves short/no transitions between acceleration and deceleration... Engine braking and coasting are also track no no's.

None taken - I really do not have track in mind. I prefer a nice curvy mountainous jaunt with some stretches of straightaways. Engine braking and powering through turns is a thrill in that regard.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon has said he hates the whole Mercedes steering stalk. Done for budgetary reasons. You can bet future cars will be all Tesla not German handmedowns.

- - - Updated - - -

The other day I was in a car that had little buttons behind the steering wheel. Not stalks or paddles but raised buttons that change radio settings. Would be cool for regen if too many stalks were a problem for someone.

Oh I hope that is true.

The little buttons would be a nice improvement too - as long as they are on the left side of the wheel ;)

The little buttons would be a nice improvement too - as long as they are on the left side of the wheel ;)

Just as long as it doesn't turn into this (I kid!):
Ferrari-Replica-Steering-Wheel.jpg