Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Long Range "Boominess" sound, same with Performance version??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently tested a November build MY Long Range and was surprised by the "Boominess", low bass, almost sub-woofer deep resonance sounds. I had driven a MY Performance version in September and really don't recall that sound at all. Has anyone heard this on the new Performance builds? I have a Y Performance on order but it was bothersome enough to cause concern. I'd encourage anyone to comment about any this roominess noise issue and if there if so, is there a fix?
Thanks!!

I drove a 2017 Model S (with the 19") several months back and immediately noticed the "boominess" when driving on the highway. I've been driving an X for the past couple of years and definitely do not have the boominess even the OEM 22" wheels. I test drove a MY w/ the small wheels a month back and noticed the boominess also. I think it's the large glass roof. It just seemed to radiate from there on both cars. There's no insulation on the majority of the surface of the glass. The model S I drove did not have a sun roof also so I'd say it's kind of similar to the Y. I like the Y and want one, but on the fence.

I recently tested a November build MY Long Range and was surprised by the "Boominess", low bass, almost sub-woofer deep resonance sounds. I had driven a MY Performance version in September and really don't recall that sound at all. Has anyone heard this on the new Performance builds? I have a Y Performance on order but it was bothersome enough to cause concern. I'd encourage anyone to comment about any this roominess noise issue and if there if so, is there a fix?
Thanks!!

Yes...I have noticed it as well. Not a huge issue, and interestingly, my passengers don't seem to notice. I was wondering if it has to do with my ride height (I'm 6'5" and even with seat lowered all the way, my head is considerably higher in the cabin. I was wondering if it's the lack of sound absorption from no headliner?

Yes...I have noticed it as well. Not a huge issue, and interestingly, my passengers don't seem to notice. I was wondering if it has to do with my ride height (I'm 6'5" and even with seat lowered all the way, my head is considerably higher in the cabin. I was wondering if it's the lack of sound absorption from no headliner?
yes, noticed this with my new 2022 Y. my wife and kids does not notice - maybe we are higher and get that resonance from back trunk reflection over the smooth sun roof easily. This is like a rolling drum on the road.

Our 2014 Model S had that air pressure pulsating feeling really strongly when we got it--sometimes called pressure buffeting. The Model S has that huge heavy liftgate, lying mostly horizontal, so it's very susceptible to bouncing up and down, causing that pulsing air pressure if the stoppers are not adjusted properly to support it. That is I think what @carlos31820 's video is about.

My wife and I test drove a Model Y this past weekend. When our S had that problem, we both definitely felt it. On this Y, my wife who is more sensitive to it felt it when we got to highway speeds, and it hurt her ears. I didn't quite feel a pulsing, but did feel a little of like a tightness in the air in the car.

I just talked with a friend of mine in Tesla sales, and he had an idea we will check out. These cars do have the super filtration system, with the HEPA filter, and part of that is creating a high pressure system inside the car to try to prevent intrusion of things from outside. So that may be what is bothering my wife with this. I'll see if we can disable that and try it again, because my wife said she would buy the Y if it didn't hurt her like this.

Reviving this thread. I have a LR and an MYP and I love the sound on the LR better. Just a more fuller and rich sounds. Not sure why the P is any different. All my setting are exactly the same in each car. The LR just sounds way tighter in the bass hits. Any thoughts?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H