Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Loud Whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MY 01-31-21 and unfortunately there is a loud, high-pitched whine coming from the rear of the vehicle. I took the car to the SC on 02-05-21 (earliest appointment) and the technicians agreed that the sound was very loud, However, they completed the appointment saying the car was "within spec" and that there was nothing they could do. They explained that they compared my MY to another MY they had and claimed they both have a similar sound. I requested to drive the car and the test car was completely silent. I requested my service advisor take my car for a drive and tell me the car was "within spec." He returned and agreed that the sound coming from my car was loud and annoying but there was nothing that could be done because the car passed their "test". Longer story short, I asked for test results but they claimed they couldn't provide any data.

Unfortunately, Tesla no longer offers the 7-day return policy and I am completely disappointed with the outcome. The noise is not quiet it cannot be ignored. My M3 was phenomenal and I don't know what to do at this point. Does anyone have any advice?

TL;DR: Loud noise, Tesla SC refuses to fix but agrees the noise is loud and not tenable. Any advice?

I picked up my MY 01-31-21 and unfortunately there is a loud, high-pitched whine coming from the rear of the vehicle. I took the car to the SC on 02-05-21 (earliest appointment) and the technicians agreed that the sound was very loud, However, they completed the appointment saying the car was "within spec" and that there was nothing they could do. They explained that they compared my MY to another MY they had and claimed they both have a similar sound. I requested to drive the car and the test car was completely silent. I requested my service advisor take my car for a drive and tell me the car was "within spec." He returned and agreed that the sound coming from my car was loud and annoying but there was nothing that could be done because the car passed their "test". Longer story short, I asked for test results but they claimed they couldn't provide any data.

Unfortunately, Tesla no longer offers the 7-day return policy and I am completely disappointed with the outcome. The noise is not quiet it cannot be ignored. My M3 was phenomenal and I don't know what to do at this point. Does anyone have any advice?

TL;DR: Loud noise, Tesla SC refuses to fix but agrees the noise is loud and not tenable. Any advice?
That sucks. It would drive me completely nuts.

Who did you speak with at your SC? Did you go to their highest manager? Did you see anything that states in writing that the tech actually heard the sound? Sometimes this sort of thing gets stuck at the "service advisor" level.
Don't give up. You're in LA, so you should have access to other service centers, other techs. Your car might be missing some sound deadening material. (My MY has a high pitched whine, but it's very subtle...it seems to increase as the rear motor heats up)

Good luck.

Reactions: rickyjb
I can hear a soft whine when accelerating hard, but that's the only time. From what I've read, it's the inverter and my Model 3 SR+ had no such whine, but fortunately mine is very manageable as it is very soft and rarely happens. I would listen to the others and head to a different SC and speak with the Manager if needed. Good luck!

Did the SC determine the source of the high pitched noise? Make a service appt at a different SC.
I asked what component was making the noise and they could not tell me. I requested data or a test report which shows that my car passes their tests and is within their specification and they claim it's proprietary information and cannot be provided but they'd check what they can give to. I was a little sus at that point.

I made an appointment for another SC immediately after this one.

Who did you speak with at your SC? Did you go to their highest manager? Did you see anything that states in writing that the tech actually heard the sound? Sometimes this sort of thing gets stuck at the "service advisor" level.
Don't give up. You're in LA, so you should have access to other service centers, other techs. Your car might be missing some sound deadening material. (My MY has a high pitched whine, but it's very subtle...it seems to increase as the rear motor heats up)

Good luck.
Thanks!

I spoke to the service advisor and the technician that serviced my vehicle. I requested they provide me with the test results or a test report that states my car passed their tests and they made a claim that the data was proprietary but they'd see what they could provide me. I found that to be very sus. I made an appointment at another SC for Feb 15. Hopefully, I can a better answer then.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I picked up my MY 01-31-21 and unfortunately there is a loud, high-pitched whine coming from the rear of the vehicle.
I took the car to the SC on 02-05-21 (earliest appointment) and the technicians agreed that the sound was very loud,
However, they completed the appointment saying the car was "within spec" and that there was nothing they could do.
They explained that they compared my MY to another MY they had and claimed they both have a similar sound.
I requested to drive the car and the test car was completely silent. I requested my service advisor take my car for a drive
and tell me the car was "within spec." He returned and agreed that the sound coming from my car was loud and annoying
but there was nothing that could be done because the car passed their "test". Longer story short,
I asked for test results but they claimed they couldn't provide any data.

Unfortunately, Tesla no longer offers the 7-day return policy and I am completely disappointed with the outcome.
The noise is not quiet it cannot be ignored. My M3 was phenomenal and I don't know what to do at this point.
Does anyone have any advice?

This remind of a previous thread:

Why I returned my 2019 Tesla Model X? (iexploresiliconvalley.com)
Why I returned my 2019 Tesla Model X? (teslamotorsclub.com/tmc)
Note: It would be interesting to localize the noise location?
For the above link that I included, the OP notice a front high pitch sound.
So may be have someone driving and try moving from front seat to the rear seat.
It could be the DC/DC 12 V converter located under the rear seat or the front or rear engine?

Last edited:
set a supercharger destination in your nav when you leave your house. The car will start dumping heat into the batteries from the motors to heat the batteries. When this happens - a louder whine will be noticed. See if it change the quality of the whine you are dealing with or is in addition to it. Ive also read - I forget where and I'll find the link - that there eis a seal missing on some MY creating a whine.

Mine does the same thing it’s a performance model the service centre said I need to slam on my brakes more as it’s just residual rust on the rotors lol I was like what.... but ever since I started “slamming the brakes” more to “clean” them it has not made the noise keep your brakes on low regen for a while see if it gets better

That within spec is just bullshit. There is no spec. If parts are mostly still attached to car that is within spec. Panel gaps you cna out your fist in, within spec...

They won't help you. You'll have to try to get that sold or use a lawyer to get tesla to do more whichever screw you over less financially.

That within spec is just bullshit. There is no spec. If parts are mostly still attached to car that is within spec. Panel gaps you cna out your fist in, within spec...

They won't help you. You'll have to try to get that sold or use a lawyer to get tesla to do more whichever screw you over less financially.

Of course, you're joking. He's had the car for 9 days, he's had ONE visit to ONE service center, and you tell him he should sell the car or contact a lawyer?

A bit extreme, maybe?