Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Loud Whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if it’s missing sound dampening material for the motor.

This frequency range is very treatable, but you need to get the right material into the right places. My other EV simply has a little jacket over the motor, about 1/2 inch thick.

Could they check that the sound treatment is installed?

That within spec is just bullshit. There is no spec. If parts are mostly still attached to car that is within spec. Panel gaps you cna out your fist in, within spec...

They won't help you. You'll have to try to get that sold or use a lawyer to get tesla to do more whichever screw you over less financially.
Finally someone agrees with me I can’t stand when people are like “it common for Tesla” well idiot I’m sorry but it’s only common because you guys keep accepting the cars in the condition they are in SAY NO demand better quality ELON IS A BILLIONAIRE he can afford to do it RIGHT

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Here are two recordings of the sound my car makes. Recorded on iPhone 12 Pro Max from the back seat.

Original: Dropbox - Original.mp3 - Simplify your life
High-Pass Filter @ 2700 Hz: Dropbox - High-Pass Filter 2700Hz cutoff.mp3 - Simplify your life

Great supporting evidence! Mine only makes that high pitched whine if I accelerate really hard, but then there's nothing to hear after I'm done accelerating hard (I don't mind this at all, but M3 SR+ didn't do this at all). Yours is constantly there, which would drive me nuts as well, and Tesla should fix this, IMHO.

Reactions: yellowr6
Sounds like a jet engine taking off, IMO that ain't normal. My MY doesn't do that unless I'm flooring it, and then I expect it. But your car seems to make a whole bunch of other noises also! Whew.
Yeah, I'm super disappointed with the vehicle right now and the SC for being so dismissive. I'm planning to remove the rear seat cushions myself and try to see if I can find anything abnormal.

Yeah, I'm super disappointed with the vehicle right now and the SC for being so dismissive. I'm planning to remove the rear seat cushions myself and try to see if I can find anything abnormal.
I pulled out the lower rear seat cushion and it does not appear that the Perimeter Penthouse Seal is present. I believe there should be a gray sponge material in the lower part of the cavity here.
IMG_0440.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Stach and OrthoSurg
  • Funny
Reactions: ambitious_avo
Saga Update:
I took my car to a second SC on Feb. 16 and explained the issue. A tech. drove the car and agreed the noise was unbearable. They said they would do some troubleshooting to determine what the cause was. I also asked if they could verify the penthouse perimeter seal was present and they agreed they would. I showed them a video of the noise and (what I believed was) the missing penthouse perimeter seal and they told me to send the files to them so they could add them to my service file. (I sent them a link to dropbox)They got back to me later that day and told me the rear-drive unit needed to be replaced but they would need to order the part and scheduled a new appointment for March 1st.

I took my car back on March 1st and they replaced the rear-drive unit. I got a call and was told the noise was still present and they would need to do some more investigation and asked to keep the car another day; I agreed. They called back at the end of the day on March 2nd. They figured out what was causing the issue. It turned out to be a...missing penthouse perimeter seal. o_O

Picked up my car today and the issue has been resolved!

TL;DR: Issue Resolved; missing penthouse perimeter seal.

^^^: Sorry you had to go to a different SC for a resolution to your issues, but very pleased they were willing to pursue it, and solve it. Thanks for being persistent and not letting Tesla off the hook for this!

Saga Update:
I took my car to a second SC on Feb. 16 and explained the issue. A tech. drove the car and agreed the noise was unbearable. They said they would do some troubleshooting to determine what the cause was. I also asked if they could verify the penthouse perimeter seal was present and they agreed they would. I showed them a video of the noise and (what I believed was) the missing penthouse perimeter seal and they told me to send the files to them so they could add them to my service file. (I sent them a link to dropbox)They got back to me later that day and told me the rear-drive unit needed to be replaced but they would need to order the part and scheduled a new appointment for March 1st.

I took my car back on March 1st and they replaced the rear-drive unit. I got a call and was told the noise was still present and they would need to do some more investigation and asked to keep the car another day; I agreed. They called back at the end of the day on March 2nd. They figured out what was causing the issue. It turned out to be a...missing penthouse perimeter seal. o_O

Amazing! Really glad you got it fixed. You could have just ended up as another "Within spec" casualty otherwise.

Saga Update:

How do you check the seal is present or missing? What do you have to disassemble to see it?

Saga Update:

Thanks so much for this information. Can you tell me which service center you went to before/after the fix? Maybe even a name of your service advisor? I have the same issue and my SC is not helping. Thanks!