Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freewheeler

Vendor
Supporting Member
May 22, 2020
New York
Hey everyone! I crafted a PPF kit to address the "strike zone" on the lower half of the Model Y rear doors where they flare out and are impacted by grit and gravel spray from the front tires. Until there's a decent front mudflap something needs to be done, and I'll still use this even after mudflaps are available. Below is an image of it installed and dirty to illustrate protection against debris.

The kits are hand cut 8 mil 3M clear vinyl and I include a felt-covered squeegee. The install lube (water and baby shampoo mix recommended) is not included. There are 9 kits available at the moment. More will be made depending on demand.

$50/set + S&H

IMG_0004.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 541
  • Funny
Reactions: Tranman329

Jacko

Sep 17, 2020
portland, or
Hey everyone! I crafted a PPF kit to address the "strike zone" on the lower half of the Model Y rear doors where they flare out and are impacted by grit and gravel spray from the front tires. Until there's a decent front mudflap something needs to be done, and I'll still use this even after mudflaps are available. Below is an image of it installed and dirty to illustrate protection against debris.

The kits are hand cut 8 mil 3M clear vinyl and I include a felt-covered squeegee. The install lube (water and baby shampoo mix recommended) is not included. There are 9 kits available at the moment. More will be made depending on demand.

$50/set + S&H

View attachment 613561

Thanks for looking!
I'll take one. I'll reach out in a "conversation" to arrange payment/address. Thanks again for doing this.

Freewheeler

Vendor
Supporting Member
May 22, 2020
New York
Thanks everyone. I’ve ordered more material due to the surprising response on various discussions on TMC and should have more available in a couple of days. I didn’t realize how popular this would be but I’m glad to be able to help keep everyone’s haunches safe. Cheers and stay safe.

Reactions: Jacko

carlsonscott

Dec 8, 2020
Austin Texas

$50/set + S&H

View attachment 613561

Thanks for looking!
I am interested in the PPF for the rear doors. I waited too long and have some small chips already. I do not want it to get worse.

Jacko

Sep 17, 2020
portland, or
I just installed Freewheeler's PPF kit. It was easy and fit perfectly. The whole process took less than 30 minutes and I was going slow as this was my first time applying PPF. I forgot that when I had the full front done, the shop added door edge strips so my fitment was a bit tricky. But these cuts were very accurate and butted right up to the existing edge strips.
Once I got the shop light down for the prep work I noticed how much damage I've already incurred in less than 2000 miles. I would recommend protecting this area on your MY ASAP. For reference, I put 1000 miles on the Uberturbines/pzeros and then about another 1000 with 20" Martians/Vredesteins. I'm an aggressive driver, but no rough roads or mountain driving yet, so the damage was an unpleasant surprise.

• Informative
Reactions: Modulus1

Modulus1

Nov 20, 2020
Ohio
Thanks, great idea. I have this marked for later when I actually have a MY to install on.

Just noticed this other post showing very clearly where the key areas are. Maybe a set for the lower part of the front doors would be useful too?

Freewheeler

Vendor
Supporting Member
May 22, 2020
New York
Thanks, everyone. There are more coming online early this week and they’ll go out in order of request. Glad to be able to contribute.

Freewheeler

Vendor
Supporting Member
May 22, 2020
New York
Hi all, for those of you who flagged this thread for a future purchase, a new batch is currently shipping. For those that have already ordered, I trust everything went well. @Jacko thanks for the feedback! Glad to be helping out.

Jacopa

Feb 26, 2020
Conn
Just installed this kit. Super easy to apply and great fit. Took all of 15 minutes total. Folks, buy this so you get peace of mind about your paint on the haunches, you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Jacko

EVKANE

Nov 30, 2020
Seattle, WA
I can only second Jacopa. Easy to install. Took me maybe 30min but only because I wanted it perfectly aligned. This isn’t 100% protection but it does cover the most impacted area. Unbeatable for the price compared to a professional installer.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC