Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY LR 19 Inch winter tire setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tire you noted, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, has a load index of just 100 (1764 lbs per tire.) Your new Model Y requires a tire with a load index of 104 (1984 lbs per tire), load range XL, a speed rating of V (rated to 149 MPH). If you let the TireRack tire finder do its thing then the following winter tires come up for your 2020 Tesla Long Range Dual Motor Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels.

Pirelli Winter SOTTOZERO 3 255/45R19 104V XL

Pirelli PZERO Winter 255/45R19 104V XL

VREDESTEIN WINTRACK PRO 255/45R19 104V XL

There are also these winter tires with a speed rating of T (rated to 118 MPH), you'll probably never drive anywhere near that fast on snow tires.)

Continential VIKINGCONTACT 7 255/45R19 104T XL

Yokohama ICEGUARD IG52C 255/45R19 104T XL

Last edited:
The tire you noted, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, has a load index of just 100 (1764 lbs per tire.) Your new Model Y requires a tire with a load index of 104 (1984 lbs per tire), load range XL, a speed rating of V (rated to 149 MPH). If you let the TireRack tire finder do its thing then the following winter tires come up for your 2020 Tesla Long Range Dual Motor Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels.

There are also these winter tires with a speed rating of T (rated to 118 MPH), you'll probably never drive anywhere near that fast on snow tires.)

Thanks for the tip on Load Ratings. I have heard good things about Nokian Hakka R3 SUV tires but they don't show up on Tirerack.
I will try to compare the reviews of 3 tires you posted above and Hakka R3 and order one of them.

I wouldn't mess with the tire size. The tires are already stretched a decent amount on these wheels (the width of the wheel is 9.5, most 255 tires have a range of wheel widths they will fit but almost all of them that work for our car list their upper size as 9.5 wide... if you get a more narrow tire (the 255 part) there is a good chance they will have been designed to fit a wheel width LESS than 9.5 inch wide. While narrow tires work better in snow, I just wouldn't mess with it. It's less important than a good tire compound and the AWD of the Model Y.

The Hakka's are really hard to compare with more standard US stuff like Sottozero, xIce, or VikingContacts.

What I would suggest is this, plug in your car on TireRack and look at the winter tires they offer. The Sottozero are "performance winter" which means they're designed to run in temperatures below 45F and handle some snow but really do best on mainly clear roads. These will probably have better dry braking performance and maybe some better wet performance, but will do so by giving up some ultimate grip in deeper snow and ice. If you click the tire you can find a TireRack Tire Test that will give you a write up and some standardize tests they do. While it's not a perfect comparison since the tests were done in different years and maybe even different models of cars, usually you can compare pretty close between any TireRack test since they're always a BMW and the same test track. The VikingContacts would be the best for ultimate snow grip and perform REALLY well compared with Bridgestone (doesn't make a size for us) and even the older xIce 3 tire. Maybe the Hakka's are a little better, but if you're just worried about not getting stuck and having good control on ice and slush I would lump the VikingContact 7, Hakka's, and xIce all into the same group; they'll all be really close to each other and maybe only have different stopping distances of a couple feet for example.

It's unfortunate that Michelin won't have their xIce SNOW (the latest generation) in our size until ~Jan 1st. TireRack did a preview event of these (a test hosted by Michelin, so obviously the examples are picked to highlight the best results for Michelin) and was VERY impressed. It sounds like these will probably jump to the top of the list when comparing Bridgestone, Michelin, and Continental. If you're mainly working from home still maybe you can wait another two months for the xIce Snow (also have a 40k mile tread life warranty, the only winter tire that still offers a tread life warranty), otherwise I would get the VikingContacts if wanting ultimate "deep snow" (3+ inches) and ice grip, or the SottoZero 3 if you're just looking for a tire that stays soft and flexible in freezing temps and can handle some ice and mild snow (far better than all season, but not as good as a full winter like the Viking Contacts or xIce)

Yes, R19 is the most important. The other dimensions are variable.

Wheels and tires are popular topic and there are many threads and resources--it'll literally make or break what you think about your car.

Others have commented here, but you can call or go to a tire shop and ask for their recommendations if you want to talk to someone. They deal with tires day in and day out and probably have a good idea of what works.

Winter conditions are highly localized so get whats appropriate for your area or what you plan on doing. Winter in the Bay Area is rain, where others deals with snow and ice.

I'm not sure about your experiences, but after swapping tires a few times I found it easier and overall cheaper to have two sets of wheels. I can throw wheels on myself.

This is where I show my ignorance.
How can I make sure the tires I purchase fit the gemini wheels?
Is it just R19?

Reactions: beezy
Others have commented here, but you can call or go to a tire shop and ask for their recommendations if you want to talk to someone. They deal with tires day in and day out and probably have a good idea of what works..

I'm not sure if I would trust the tire shop in selling me the best tires. They don't toss them on the same car and run them on the same test track. They don't measure braking distance in the dry or wet. They don't review and test tires, they sell them.

Most likely they'll be able to guide you to what sells the best, what fits your price the best (their prices on big name brands like Bridgestone can often be MUCH more than from somewhere like TireRack; locally Bridgestone winters are about $100/tire more than if I get them shipped to my door), and possibly lesser known brands that might give more of a cut of sales to the store.

I don't believe they're dishonest people, but they're sales guys at the best, and a lot of them probably aren't even that since they mainly change tires all day. They're probably only going to know what is in their local store and I can't fault them for that.

TireRack, Consumer Reports, any car magazine, etc are going to be the guys I trust to actually tell me which tire performs the best, TireRack is just free and very easy to look through.

Define your needs; mainly wet or dry, light snow for a couple days a year or snow on the ground/roads for weeks or more, etc

Thank you all of your input. I have been using Tirerack even before they were an online business. I used to place phone orders.
I completely agree that having 2 sets of wheels is convenient. This is my plan as well. I will buy new wheels next spring and used the tires I got with MY with those new wheels. Gemini/Apollo wheels will be used by winter tires only.
Based on tire rack ratings and what is available I place an order for VikingContact 7. We get snow from November to March/April.
I did not want to wait until next year for Michelin x-ice.
I did not go with Hakka R3 as they were not easily available and ratings for VikingContact 7 were similar to Hakka R3.

Reactions: mark95476
I have a Y stealth performance with the 19in Geminis. I'm looking for a winter tire for Upstate New York which will handle occasional snow build up (the roads get cleared pretty quickly so not for multiple days, but here and there). My main issue is that I have a steep and long drive so when I do need grip, it will be important.

Tirerack claims that the Sottozero 3's don't work with my vehicle? I'm assuming this is wrong? Either way, would you guys suggest I consider a different type?

I have a Y stealth performance with the 19in Geminis. I'm looking for a winter tire for Upstate New York which will handle occasional snow build up (the roads get cleared pretty quickly so not for multiple days, but here and there). My main issue is that I have a steep and long drive so when I do need grip, it will be important.

Tirerack claims that the Sottozero 3's don't work with my vehicle? I'm assuming this is wrong? Either way, would you guys suggest I consider a different type?
Try searching for winter/snow tires for the 2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range (Entering Model Y Performance confuses the web app because the Model Y Performance has a top speed of 155 MPH while the Model Y Long Range is limited to 135 MPH.) Both numbers are irrelevant when shopping for winter tires unless you intend on snow track racing I suppose. Going from Y speed rating to a V speed rating the tire sidewall may be a little less stiff.

If you let the TireRack tire finder do its thing then the following winter tires come up for the 2020 Tesla Long Range Dual Motor Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels. Tire Rack shows the following winter tires with a speed rating of V (rated to 149 MPH).

There are also these winter tires with a speed rating of T (rated to 118 MPH), you'll probably never drive anywhere near that fast, especially on snow tires.)

• Helpful
Reactions: seniorcitizen
Try searching for winter/snow tires for the 2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range (Entering Model Y Performance confuses the web app because the Model Y Performance has a top speed of 155 MPH while the Model Y Long Range is limited to 135 MPH.) Both numbers are irrelevant when shopping for winter tires unless you intend on snow track racing I suppose. Going from Y speed rating to a V speed rating the tire sidewall may be a little less stiff.

If you let the TireRack tire finder do its thing then the following winter tires come up for the 2020 Tesla Long Range Dual Motor Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels. Tire Rack shows the following winter tires with a speed rating of V (rated to 149 MPH).

There are also these winter tires with a speed rating of T (rated to 118 MPH), you'll probably never drive anywhere near that fast, especially on snow tires.)

Thanks! Do you have a particular one you'd suggest?

Thanks! Do you have a particular one you'd suggest?
I live in Maryland, near DC, we don't generally see enough snow to justify the cost of winter tires. I just make do with all-season tires or stay home the few days per year when the roads are bad (safest bet!) I would research the tire(s) you are interested in on the TireRack site, read the reviews. If you don't need a performance winter tire a popular choice is the Continental VIKINGCONTACT 7; the VREDESTEIN brand winter tires are getting good reviews although the VREDESTEIN WINTRACK PRO is a new tire, so not many reviews yet.

In the Model Y, when driving in winter road conditions, if you set a speed limit then the Model Y is automatically set to Chill Mode. If you set the maximum speed to 85 MPH the Model Y won't sound an alert chime until your speed is 80 MPH; plenty fast unless you unless you have a death wish.

Last edited:
I tried ordering Viking Contact7s through TR and also selected their in-house installer ASAP Tire which is a mobile installer. It wasn't until after money changed hands and I was in the scheduling phase when I saw that their only available install time was 4 weeks out, which is just unacceptable to be paying for something as time sensitive as winter tires. I cancelled TR. I ended up getting Pirelli P Zero Winters installed today, which are apparently a new product this year so cross my fingers.

The tire you noted, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, has a load index of just 100 (1764 lbs per tire.) Your new Model Y requires a tire with a load index of 104 (1984 lbs per tire), load range XL, a speed rating of V (rated to 149 MPH).
I put Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 255/45/R19 on my Model Y. They absolutely are 104V Extra Load.
I am in Canada. Is this version not available in the US?

I just got Vredestein Wintrac Pro tires mounted. 255/45-19 104 One caveat, I have not driven on ice with them yet. With that said, WOW. Just WOW. We drove up to Mt Hood to try them out in snow today. The best winter tires I have ever tried. I haven't been able to try them on ice yet, but on dry pavement, wet pavement, packed snow and deep snow they are outstanding. Quiet and good rolling resistance too... Kind of a magic tire! We drove right by an Audi that was stuck in the un-plowed parking lot. (It took seven of us digging and a big 4x4 to get him out of the lot.) 7" of new Cascade Concrete on top of packed snow. I was a little nervous pulling in to the lot, just the stuck Audi and some big 4x4s dared the snowplow berm to get in. We did great! I've had good luck with X-ice and Blizaaks in the snow and ice, but both of those are so poor in the wet, not to mention loud and high rolling resistance. I am now officially a Vredestein fanboy!
20201119_141309.jpg
20201119_123836.jpg
20201119_123817.jpg

20201119_130110.jpg

Last edited: