Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY LR performance boost results 0-60 and 1/4 mile...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Gang,

Used my dragy today and tested the performance boost on my 2020 MY LR...here are the results.

0-60 best time was 4.27 seconds

1/4 miles was [email protected]

Seems like you get a boost to 60 but the 1/4 mile time is about the same...not sure why.

IMG_2604.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Looking at dragtimes.com it looks like I am correct and the performance gain is in the 0-60 and 1/8 mile time but no gain really in the 1/4 mile time. Comparing my run to the performance Y we have similar trap speeds but the PY 0-60 time is .3-.5 faster.

Very interesting. Still think the acceleration boost is worth but it would have been nice to have some gains in the 1/4 mile as well.

Here is a stock PY to compare to off dragtimes...

31358-2020-Tesla-Model-Y-Timeslip.jpg

Stock LR runs 12.8-12.9, so you're faster.

What was your state of charge?

Another thing you can do to shave off another 0.1s is charge the car to 90%, set the nearest Tesla supercharger as the nav point, and this will get the battery to 95-105F. At 57F ambient, your battery is probably around 70-75F and needs to be warmer to get the full power output.

This will get your 1/8th down to 7.98-8.00 and quarter to 12.2x.

My times are on there somewhere in the leaderboard using that method to warm up the battery when ambient temps were cooler.

Another thing you can do to shave off another 0.1s is charge the car to 90%, set the nearest Tesla supercharger as the nav point, and this will get the battery to 95-105F. At 57F ambient, your battery is probably around 70-75F and needs to be warmer to get the full power output.

My times are on there somewhere in the leaderboard using that method to warm up the battery when ambient temps were cooler.
I have some questions about this, lets say i charge at home to 90% and get in and set a destination to the nearest supercharger roughly 40 miles... it will preheat the battery to the above temperature even if i am that far away? i was under the presumption that it only preheats battery when close to the supercharger? Also,
what if the battery was at say 80% or 50% will it do the same and give "better performance"?

I believe you are right, when I conducted my tests it was 46 degrees and I still had TWO DOTS showing on my power bar. Since it was 46 degrees I could feel my tires "clawing" for traction too, so I'm sure I left something on the table. BTW my SOC was 89%

Here's my 1/4 run:
eUbuuMk.png

kCS9ZuX.png

Here's my 0-60 run:
p4OLsqF.png

tUtEDpT.png

I'm going to retest when it warmer with better road conditions and will pre-condition the battery.

I bet I see 12.2 in the 1/4 mile and 4.0 or less to 60.

Reactions: pt19713
I have some questions about this, lets say i charge at home to 90% and get in and set a destination to the nearest supercharger roughly 40 miles... it will preheat the battery to the above temperature even if i am that far away? i was under the presumption that it only preheats battery when close to the supercharger? Also,
what if the battery was at say 80% or 50% will it do the same and give "better performance"?
2021.4.11 update has changed for the BMS decides when/ how far away to start charging. There's no set answer to this because it can depend on the current battery temp, current SoC, distance to the charger, etc. It may not trigger if the battery is at or above 90F and the nearest supercharger is 40 miles away, but it will trigger if the battery is cooler.

I've found little or no difference between 65%-85% SoC. I notice power drop below 65%. These were done prior to 2021.4.11 but it's safe to say it's still valid.

2021.4.11 update has changed for the BMS decides when/ how far away to start charging. There's no set answer to this because it can depend on the current battery temp, current SoC, distance to the charger, etc. It may not trigger if the battery is at or above 90F and the nearest supercharger is 40 miles away, but it will trigger if the battery is cooler.

I've found little or no difference between 65%-85% SoC. I notice power drop below 65%. These were done prior to 2021.4.11 but it's safe to say it's still valid.
Thank you! Another question for you, how long would you say it takes to heat the battery up from say 60 degrees outside? I wish tesla just made a precondition button for when you want to accelerate as hard as possible.

I think they have one for MS/MX Ludicrous and it takes ~30 minutes to heat soak to optimum temps.

If you want to warm-up your battery to accelerate or take a charge: Yo-yo by flooring it and letting off repeatedly.

(Flooring it is always the answer. ;))

Thank you! Another question for you, how long would you say it takes to heat the battery up from say 60 degrees outside? I wish tesla just made a precondition button for when you want to accelerate as hard as possible.