Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY LR, when to order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been interested in ordering a 2021 MY LR, and my excitement has grown even more seeing MYs being delivered with the new center console and some with the new headlights. I've seen that some cars have the new console but not the new headlights, or visa versa. I've also seen some posts that the car comes with both and some with none at all.

Any advice as far as when to order? Is it worth taking the risk now and possibly refusing delivery if it doesn't have both the new console and headlights, or is it better to wait, and if so for how long? Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jebt2921
I waited 2+ years for the Y. After my first test drive, I liked EVs but wasn't eager yet. I drove a model 3 for a week while vacationing in Colorado and decided then that an EV was in my future. I also was trying to see what competitors might show up (ID.4, Polestar 2, ...).
After all of the analysis, all of the wishing and planning (like getting a plug into the garage), you just have to say, what the heck?
Finally I decided that the Y was for me.

It is much like buying a computer since we all know that next quarter a newer, faster CPU will be on the market.
At some point, you just have to say, I want one and I'm tired on waiting. There will always be something better coming soon (although "soon" can be defined as a short time period, or a longer time period or never (vaporware)).

However, now another wrench has been introduced into the process. There is significant chatter about Congress giving another $7,500 tax credit for another 400,000 EVs including Tesla. The question is... do you wait from them to finally act on that. Could be next month, a few months or next year or something changes.

But considering that the Tesla is the most powerful EV brand in the world and will blow your socks right off, the question you need to ask yourself is: do you feel lucky?
Well, do you?
;)

Good luck with your decision.

I've been interested in ordering a 2021 MY LR, and my excitement has grown even more seeing MYs being delivered with the new center console and some with the new headlights. I've seen that some cars have the new console but not the new headlights, or visa versa. I've also seen some posts that the car comes with both and some with none at all.

Any advice as far as when to order? Is it worth taking the risk now and possibly refusing delivery if it doesn't have both the new console and headlights, or is it better to wait, and if so for how long? Thanks!

which car comes with both? So far i haven't seen a single LR AWD with new headlights its only been MYP with new headlights and a mix of other features

which car comes with both? So far i haven't seen a single LR AWD with new headlights its only been MYP with new headlights and a mix of other features

Saw this screenshot from Facebook on another thread.
upload_2021-2-13_19-52-5-png.636605

Reactions: AprilMay
However, now another wrench has been introduced into the process. There is significant chatter about Congress giving another $7,500 tax credit for another 400,000 EVs including Tesla. The question is... do you wait from them to finally act on that. Could be next month, a few months or next year or something changes.

But considering that the Tesla is the most powerful EV brand in the world and will blow your socks right off, the question you need to ask yourself is: do you feel lucky?
Well, do you?
;)

Good luck with your decision.

Same here. The Proposed $7000 tax credit is my final wait now that the other upgrades are in play that I waited for. I have the Nissan Leaf which is OK for my needs, but my wife wants longer range so she can charge less often. Her daily commute is 120 miles. This year she has to take RMD so we can use the tax credit to wipe most of that cost out.
So now the big question is-- Will the proposed tax credit be retroactive for all tax year 2021 or will it be effective only for Tesla bought after it is signed into law? Haven't read the proposal yet to see how that is worded. I would like to place the MY order in mid April.

This is what some claim is also in the proposed GREEN act:
"taxpayers could take the credit as a refund even if they don’t have sufficient taxable income to offset the credits." This is huge if I understand it. BUT, all this is proposal, not yet law.

Last edited:

I think you’d be good to order now since it’d be highly probable that you’d get a build date that’s later than 2/11. If one person has all the updates from a 2/11 build, then any future build dates should be the same.

I'm in the same boat as you, I think if you want headlights now you can get the P, but if you dont want that, then no one knows i'm looking forward to people posting deliveries of LR AWD this week to see what vins and what they are getting, so far no LR AWD is getting new headlights from my observations and it rn seems like a MYP feature only

Same here. The Proposed $7000 tax credit is my final wait now that the other upgrades are in play that I waited for. I have the Nissan Leaf which is OK for my needs, but my wife wants longer range so she can charge less often. Her daily commute is 120 miles. This year she has to take RMD so we can use the tax credit to wipe most of that cost out.
So now the big question is-- Will the proposed tax credit be retroactive for all tax year 2021 or will it be effective only for Tesla bought after it is signed into law? Haven't read the proposal yet to see how that is worded. I would like to place the MY order in mid April.

This is what some claim is also in the proposed GREEN act:
"taxpayers could take the credit as a refund even if they don’t have sufficient taxable income to offset the credits." This is huge if I understand it. BUT, all this is proposal, not yet law.
I wouldn't hold your breath, seeing as how the latest Covid-19 bill can't even seem to get passed, and pretty much everyone acknowledges that some sort of additional assistance is necessary. There are a lot that won't acknowledge such a need for the GREEN stuff. And I doubt it would be retroactive - why should they incent those of us that have already purchased an EV? Personally, I'd be against it even though it costs me money.

• Funny
Reactions: 73Bruin
I wouldn't hold your breath,

Don't need to. Our Leaf is doing fine but the Y would just be better. My window is anytime after March but before March 2022. I'm just excited to get it now that most, not all the wish list stuff is checked off. I plan to sell some stock to pay for it so it's not so much the cost, but more to get what we want. However, if $7000 is available, then I want it too. :)