Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY LR, when to order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot that won't acknowledge such a need for the GREEN stuff.

The math shows that it can get passed in the House and the Senate with reconciliation since it involves a budget item. The bill is being drafted now in several committees in both the House and Senate. The COVID relief is a problem because of the Senate needing 60 votes because the House insisted on that minimum wage part which is not a budget item. Even Biden now says scrap it for another bill like infrastructure. He needs the Congress to get that passed ASAP.

So, since they can't walk and chew gum at the same Time, I'm OK with May to place my order. Hopefully it will get built when Musk isn't pressuring production to get numbers in sacrifice of quality.

Any advice as far as when to order?

My advice is to not overthink it. Just order the MY when you're ready. Teslas are, by design, iteratively improved vehicles; you will never get something that will be "future-proofed" forever. Just get what you want, when you want it. I ordered mine last July, and I don't have dimming outside mirrors, heated steering wheel, nor the new console, but I don't really think about it much.

No offense but pot luck is not how I live life. I study and detect patterns and then take advantage of them. That has worked out well for me.

As for the tech upgrades. The plan is not complicated. I decide what is important and then get it when that is available. If I know the New Center Console is something I want, I would not risk ordering now when there is a high probability of not getting it. Maybe as simple as waiting for another month I can assure I would get what I want. New head lights- not on my priority wish list. Color design choices for interior, not likely to happen in the next 1-3 years, however, there are some really great 3rd party custom colors for seats that my wife has selected and we will likely put that on our shopping list.

In another example, the 4680 battery would be nice but I don't see that happening for too long, however, the 2170 will satisfy my needs for MY range. Obviously I would never expect technology to suspend once I order. That only happens if Tesla discontinues the MY.

No offense but pot luck is not how I live life.

None taken. I don't consider my decision to be pot luck, though. I researched for months before taking the plunge. It was based on easing my range anxiety, developing a charging strategy, prepping my house for a wall connector, and thinking through the next 5-10 years of my life...where I'll be, what I'll be doing...and then I went for the best Tesla I could afford. Each one of us will have our own approach. No one approach is better/worse, just different. My advice applies to tech in general; those that chase the latest will quickly fall behind to the next thing. At some point, I just had to make a decision and I'm happy I did. My approach has also worked out well for me in life.

None taken. I don't consider my decision to be pot luck, though. I researched for months before taking the plunge. It was based on easing my range anxiety, developing a charging strategy, prepping my house for a wall connector, and thinking through the next 5-10 years of my life...where I'll be, what I'll be doing...and then I went for the best Tesla I could afford. Each one of us will have our own approach. No one approach is better/worse, just different. My advice applies to tech in general; those that chase the latest will quickly fall behind to the next thing. At some point, I just had to make a decision and I'm happy I did. My approach has also worked out well for me in life.

Well we agree on the first part but it is not cool for you to say others should not have their tech wish list too. If it is immanent that a new standard feature is being released by Tesla, why not put off ordering until that desired feature is certain to be included? And I didn't mean to imply that I chase the latest and when that is achieved wait for the next big announcement. I made a list of requirements for our non road trip EV and the Y fits the bill as is now being delivered on some deliveries but not all. Final wait will probably be on that tax credit which was promised last summer in the campaign. I'm happy they are actually working on getting that written up now.

I just came from a Supercharger and a new 2021 Model Y just backed in next to me. Black interior and white exterior but had the piano black shiny console. He just picked it up and was doing his first Supercharge. I didn't mention anything to him about the console. Probably doesn't follow these social media discussions like we do.

Order when you want the car, theres now new rumors of air suspension, smh, by the time those start trickling down it's gonna be more rumors of something else maybe better seats, X/S redesign of Y/3 etc who tf knows....... i sometimes do wish tesla did a 4 year refresh so atleast you knwo for 4 years your car is newest lol but yeah just buy it and be happy life is short!

Order when you want the car, theres now new rumors of air suspension, smh, by the time those start trickling down it's gonna be more rumors of something else maybe better seats, X/S redesign of Y/3 etc who tf knows....... i sometimes do wish tesla did a 4 year refresh so atleast you knwo for 4 years your car is newest lol but yeah just buy it and be happy life is short!
Hepa Filter and Air Suspension Those were first rumored to be out back in December I recall when a hacker found lines of code in the Model Y update that alluded to the programming of the air suspension like in the Model S. I had it in my wish list since but low priority. Not surprised Tesla is making those additions in China first. China has more competition than the US EV market.

If you want to guess what will be coming that isn't yet rumored, how about the driver's instrument display, Car Play, sliding glass roof cover like in the VW ID4. and yes, new interior colors. Some of these have 3rd party options now so those are not on my wait for list.

I don't need it but why did Tesla remove the Garage door opener transmitter?

Hepa Filter and Air Suspension Those were first rumored to be out back in December I recall when a hacker found lines of code in the Model Y update that alluded to the programming of the air suspension like in the Model S. I had it in my wish list since but low priority. Not surprised Tesla is making those additions in China first. China has more competition than the US EV market.

If you want to guess what will be coming that isn't yet rumored, how about the driver's instrument display, Car Play, sliding glass roof cover like in the VW ID4. and yes, new interior colors. Some of these have 3rd party options now so those are not on my wait for list.

i agree hepa filter would be nice, air suspension IMO is just another big liability, those have a clear lifespan and replacing the bladder things or w/e is expensive at the end. I wish tesla kept garage door as standard but i guess it's not in-house tech so it's costly and there trying to keep costs down and keep most things in house so maybe thats why......they did the same with with the radio thing i rem tesla use to have something else slacker or something? not sure.. i wish carplay happens but other than that u need to just buy n enjoy the car and look at upgrading years later when things are different in the car world

Reactions: Langzaiguy

They are adding air suspension to the MY in China? Got a source for that?

I've been interested in ordering a 2021 MY LR, and my excitement has grown even more seeing MYs being delivered with the new center console and some with the new headlights. I've seen that some cars have the new console but not the new headlights, or visa versa. I've also seen some posts that the car comes with both and some with none at all.

Any advice as far as when to order? Is it worth taking the risk now and possibly refusing delivery if it doesn't have both the new console and headlights, or is it better to wait, and if so for how long? Thanks!

Speak with a Tesla representative, previously one told me they would make sure mine would be manufactured with the heated steering wheel. I hope they would be willing for other changes as well. Doesn't hurt to reach out!

I am waiting to see what comes out of Berlin mid-2021 for the Model Y. The paint shop will be great but more significantly I am looking at what the 4680 structural battery pack will do for the car. I am wondering if the Berlin Model Ys (and future Austin Model Ys?) will have more range, faster/sustained charging (improved speeds are not important to me), and longer life for the pack. There has been talk of a million mile pack. We are seeing degradation and charge speed caps for the 2170 packs for the Model 3 (see Tesla Bjorn) that are also in the current Model Y. I would hope the 4680 battery packs will be better.

I'm in the same boat as the OP.... just sold my Model 3 and put in an order for a Model Y LR just a couple of days ago.

Like others said, order now and you can delay/refuse delivery on a car that doesn't meet your needs. It might push you down the queue a bit until you can ultimately get what you want, but after I went through the same ordeal last year when I bought my Model 3 at the end of Q1 (right when the factory shutdown and my original order would've been delayed to June, but that was a fluke time for Tesla), I now have a better idea & understanding of what Tesla does, and about how long I could be waiting if I decide to hold out on my LR order. I'm also good right now not having a replacement Tesla right away, as we have another car to drive and both my wife & I are going to still be working from home at least through the summer.

I don't care so much about the headlights, but it would be nice to get the newer headlights. I just really want the updated center console and heated steering wheel.

I just bought a LR a little over a week ago. Piano black console, old headlights, heated steering wheel. You can always wait longer for the next upgrade, if it's even an upgrade?

I don't see any issue with the headlamps nor a need for improvement.

If the piano black center console was the new version, maybe everyone would be drooling over how nice and shiny it looks, holding out to make sure they get it. Maybe I missed something- Is the only drawback that it shows fingerprints easily?

I'll probably never use the heated steering wheel and don't even know why it's a thing (I grew up in NJ, haven't been in SoCal forever). Heated grips on a motorcycle though - now THAT is a good feature in the winter/rain.

My 2 cents.. If you want it and can swing it, buy it. It's fun as hell to drive and looks great. The worst thing that could happen is some good competition in the next few years that prompts Elon to slash prices.

I just bought a LR a little over a week ago. Piano black console, old headlights, heated steering wheel. You can always wait longer for the next upgrade, if it's even an upgrade?

I don't see any issue with the headlamps nor a need for improvement.

If the piano black center console was the new version, maybe everyone would be drooling over how nice and shiny it looks, holding out to make sure they get it. Maybe I missed something- Is the only drawback that it shows fingerprints easily?

I'll probably never use the heated steering wheel and don't even know why it's a thing (I grew up in NJ, haven't been in SoCal forever). Heated grips on a motorcycle though - now THAT is a good feature in the winter/rain.

My 2 cents.. If you want it and can swing it, buy it. It's fun as hell to drive and looks great. The worst thing that could happen is some good competition in the next few years that prompts Elon to slash prices.
Personally, I found the piano black console lids a little fiddle to close, and I never felt like it matched as nothing else is gloss black in the interior.