Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY LRAWD First long drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dolfs

Supporting Member
After owning for one week I took a trip from the SF Bay Area to Orange County to drop of my son at college after spring break. I left at 92% SOC and had used ABRP to see what might need to happen. It advised two SC stops at Harris Ranch and Tejon. When I plugged the destination in the MY Nav it told me I would reach Kettleman City (beyond Harris Ranch) and arrive at 14%. This prediction was 6% at Harris Ranch so I kept going.

The Kettleman city SC station is quite large and offer 150kW and 250kW stations (I took one of these; it was empty except for 2 other cars). Arrived at 16% charged to 90% (being new at this I figured I'd get a little more than Nav said; this turned out to be totally useless, which I should have known because Tejon was only 100 mi away). The SC also offers a nice looking lounge, but it was closed. Most likely due to COVID, but it was also 8AM, so who knows. What threw me for a loop was that both lounge and restroom require a code that supposedly is on the SC screen in the car. It wasn't easy to find but when I finally pressed the SC icon on the map, it popped up. I think this should be displayed right in the charging screen when appropriate!

Tejon, at the bottom of the Grapevine was almost full, but found a 150kW spot and charged from 49% to 83%.

Reached Anaheim on this charge at 39%. 383 mi, 105.6 kWh (275 Wh/mi). Considering this was mostly at speeds over 70 mph pretty good I think.

Reverse was similar with charging in Anaheim, Santa Clarita, and Harris Ranch. Total was 386.26 mi, 106.57 kWh (276 Wh/mi). On the way back I actually drove faster on I5 then on the way out, but I made a point of trying to stick behind a similar speed car (about 4-5 lengths). I think this compensated for the faster driving, but it was also night time and possibly colder, and wind was probably in the same direction as on the way out, so perhaps more favorable, although generally under 5 mph. Also 200 lbs less passenger and luggage.

I found the drive quite pleasurable, although I may have to mess with seat positioning because I developed a little butt fatigue. All SC was done with my 1,000 free referral miles, so this trip was essentially free.

I don't have FSB but used autosteer fairly frequently. By and large it works well, occasionally getting tripped up by dashed line markers in the LA area. Perhaps because they are white with a black border on grey concrete. Also found that emergency lane assist (which I like to have on for long drive in case I nod off), every now and then would steer when I cam close-ish to a lane marking line, but without giving any audible or visual warning. You can feel it in the wheel. Not sure if I like it doing that. Time will tell.

After having spent an hour with a delivery checklist the previous Sunday, I now know of an item that should be added to checklists: check license plate mounting screws... Upon arrival in Anaheim found two of four screws from rear license plate holder gone, and top two very loose, but still in place. Plastic temp license plate was gone (I suppose ripped off at highway speeds after bottom two screws came out). Still had the plate for the front in the glovebox. Called Tesla and selected service. That ended up a no-go on a Sunday. Called sales in nearby Costa Mesa. Explained the problem and they said to please come by. Finished shopping and 45 minutes later I was their. Contactless form filed out they came out right away and apologized. Said they can't do anything about the lost plate (they can't print a new one), but we took the one from the glove box. They provided 4 new screws and a screwdriver, and installed it. Tight this time. I was not expecting much after reading forums here, but kudos to Tesla Costa Mesa.

So, after one week (1,100 miles), brought car in this morning for service visit (Palo Alto) to deal with delivery flaws. Well handled. Same day in an out (separate post).

After owning for one week I took a trip from the SF Bay Area to Orange County to drop of my son at college after spring break. I left at 92% SOC and had used ABRP to see what might need to happen. It advised two SC stops at Harris Ranch and Tejon. When I plugged the destination in the MY Nav it told me I would reach Kettleman City (beyond Harris Ranch) and arrive at 14%. This prediction was 6% at Harris Ranch so I kept going.

The Kettleman city SC station is quite large and offer 150kW and 250kW stations (I took one of these; it was empty except for 2 other cars). Arrived at 16% charged to 90% (being new at this I figured I'd get a little more than Nav said; this turned out to be totally useless, which I should have known because Tejon was only 100 mi away). The SC also offers a nice looking lounge, but it was closed. Most likely due to COVID, but it was also 8AM, so who knows. What threw me for a loop was that both lounge and restroom require a code that supposedly is on the SC screen in the car. It wasn't easy to find but when I finally pressed the SC icon on the map, it popped up. I think this should be displayed right in the charging screen when appropriate!

Tejon, at the bottom of the Grapevine was almost full, but found a 150kW spot and charged from 49% to 83%.

Reached Anaheim on this charge at 39%. 383 mi, 105.6 kWh (275 Wh/mi). Considering this was mostly at speeds over 70 mph pretty good I think.

Reverse was similar with charging in Anaheim, Santa Clarita, and Harris Ranch. Total was 386.26 mi, 106.57 kWh (276 Wh/mi). On the way back I actually drove faster on I5 then on the way out, but I made a point of trying to stick behind a similar speed car (about 4-5 lengths). I think this compensated for the faster driving, but it was also night time and possibly colder, and wind was probably in the same direction as on the way out, so perhaps more favorable, although generally under 5 mph. Also 200 lbs less passenger and luggage.

I found the drive quite pleasurable, although I may have to mess with seat positioning because I developed a little butt fatigue. All SC was done with my 1,000 free referral miles, so this trip was essentially free.

I don't have FSB but used autosteer fairly frequently. By and large it works well, occasionally getting tripped up by dashed line markers in the LA area. Perhaps because they are white with a black border on grey concrete. Also found that emergency lane assist (which I like to have on for long drive in case I nod off), every now and then would steer when I cam close-ish to a lane marking line, but without giving any audible or visual warning. You can feel it in the wheel. Not sure if I like it doing that. Time will tell.

After having spent an hour with a delivery checklist the previous Sunday, I now know of an item that should be added to checklists: check license plate mounting screws... Upon arrival in Anaheim found two of four screws from rear license plate holder gone, and top two very loose, but still in place. Plastic temp license plate was gone (I suppose ripped off at highway speeds after bottom two screws came out). Still had the plate for the front in the glovebox. Called Tesla and selected service. That ended up a no-go on a Sunday. Called sales in nearby Costa Mesa. Explained the problem and they said to please come by. Finished shopping and 45 minutes later I was their. Contactless form filed out they came out right away and apologized. Said they can't do anything about the lost plate (they can't print a new one), but we took the one from the glove box. They provided 4 new screws and a screwdriver, and installed it. Tight this time. I was not expecting much after reading forums here, but kudos to Tesla Costa Mesa.

So, after one week (1,100 miles), brought car in this morning for service visit (Palo Alto) to deal with delivery flaws. Well handled. Same day in an out (separate post).
Good write-up. I'm about to take a short road trip the week after Easter, to visit my parents in Upstate NY. Only one charging stop needed.

BTW, if you have the Lane Departure set to 'Assist' you will get an audible warning when it kicks in. I set mine to 'Warning' when it 'assisted' me into a pothole I was swerving to avoid!