Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My M3 vs my MS...the revolution is underway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I continue to be puzzled by posts such as this that refer to how smooth the Model S ride is and how the model 3 ride is harsher. My Model S with 19 inch wheels and coil suspension has always ridden very hard. I feel every bump and the car pitches and rocks with every irregularity in the pavement. I had 2 rides in Model 3 on local roads (no highway) and did not notice such a big difference. Handling, yes, the model 3 handles like a BMW, very agile. I know I need more time to assess the model 3, but my initial impression was positive.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and pilotSteve
Depends on what one wants and values in a car.[/QUOTE]
Struggling here as in the UK we wont get one for possibly 18 months ( allowing for waiting lists) - I want to hang on and have a 3 with all the bells and whistles.. but another 18 months or longer really makes me look towards a Model S

Take it from a fellow Brit with a M3 reservation (and a cancelled i-pace reservation) you will not regret buying an S. Yes it is a big car on UK roads, yes it is wide and long for UK car parking spaces, but in every other aspect it is awesome, nice to drive, handles well, plenty of toys, goes like the clappers, free supercharging. I've held onto my M3 reservation until I see/drive one in the flesh, I do think it would be better sized for the UK, but having now owned the MS, can I see myself changing it, the M3 would really have to blow my socks off with features and or performance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Now, I had an incident which required the Model 3 to be in the shop for a week since I fried the computer after tinting the windshield (don’t do it).

EEK! We just received our 3 last Thursday evening, and I was planning on taking it in tomorrow AM for tinting the windows! Where I am having it done has incredible reviews and has been around for decades and has done many different types of cars, they did tell me they have not done a Model 3 as of yet! What happened with the tinting that caused this, and maybe I should wait? Please advise!!! Thank you very much, Ellen in Raleigh, NC

EEK! We just received our 3 last Thursday evening, and I was planning on taking it in tomorrow AM for tinting the windows! Where I am having it done has incredible reviews and has been around for decades and has done many different types of cars, they did tell me they have not done a Model 3 as of yet! What happened with the tinting that caused this, and maybe I should wait? Please advise!!! Thank you very much, Ellen in Raleigh, NC

Moisture from the installation process can drip down the inside of the window and short the computer. They need to be very careful to seal the bottom or ensure no moisture makes it past the dash, between the window and the dash.

Congrats on getting your car and welcome to TMC!

Thanks for the analysis. Porsche has the same problem differentiating the 911 from the Cayman. Elon will upgrade the 75D's range and speed so it can compete with the 3. My biggest worry is longevity. If the MS is only average in reliability, how well will a de-contented M3 hold up, ESPECIALLY WITH NO LONG-TERM ROAD TESTING? YOU, the first responders, are the beta testers, duh. And what if there's a major safety recall? It will bankrupt Tesla, which is hanging on by a string, financially. You go first.....

Thanks for the analysis. Porsche has the same problem differentiating the 911 from the Cayman. Elon will upgrade the 75D's range and speed so it can compete with the 3. My biggest worry is longevity. If the MS is only average in reliability, how well will a de-contented M3 hold up, ESPECIALLY WITH NO LONG-TERM ROAD TESTING? YOU, the first responders, are the beta testers, duh. And what if there's a major safety recall? It will bankrupt Tesla, which is hanging on by a string, financially. You go first.....
Not sure where you are getting your MS reliability data, but my three years with an S has been next to flawless. No reliability issues at all, my only issue being a worn out B-pillar fabric which they replaced in an hour about two months ago. As far as major safety recalls are concerned, check out the one last week. In the harshest of climates, where a certain type of salt is used, they found a bolt on the steering column was rusting. It did not affect overall steering, just makes it difficult to steer. No fatalities, no accidents reported in over a billion miles driven. But they are recalling everyone in all climates anyway, just to be safe. That is my kind of car company and I for one am happy to be the beta tester.

Reactions: SO16 and voltage
My biggest worry is longevity. If the MS is only average in reliability, how well will a de-contented M3 hold up

One reason I am glad no air suspension on my car (for example) is one less thing to break. Whether this thinking will pan out is to be seen, but I'm actually happier with the simpler bits (even if I complain sometimes that a single UI surface is frustrating).

I also prefer the smaller car independent of content...

Reactions: slipnslider
Update after a long day trip from PA to NJ yesterday...

After three years of driving at least monthly from the western suburbs of Philadelphia to norther NJ/NYC, I was able to make a day trip in my M3 without needing a charge. My rated range to start was 308, and the temp was in the 30s when I left and warmed up to the high 40s by end of day. I drove at 65mph almost the whole way, and made the round trip with 50 miles of range still left. What freedom! In my MS I would have needed to stop for 30-45 min of charging on the NJ turnpike.

Also, the more I have listened to the sound system in the M3 the more I think it's the best I have heard in my almost 40 years of driving. The clarity of the streaming from Slacker has something to do with it i'm sure, but the bass literally pumps vibrations through your left leg while driving and listening at higher volumes. Speaking of Slacker, I never explored it during my three years with the MS since I have Sirius in that car. I will most likely not renew Sirius in the M3 even when it's available. I can stream from my Sirius phone app when I need to listen to CNBC or other non music channels...no need to add a Sirius subscription for music.

On the "we are still driving a beta product" side, I have had a message since last week on the screen telling me to get my charge port door serviced, even though it seems to work fine. I called the Devon PA service center and they want me to come in and have the door replaced which I'm doing this week.

Update after a long day trip from PA to NJ yesterday...

After three years of driving at least monthly from the western suburbs of Philadelphia to norther NJ/NYC, I was able to make a day trip in my M3 without needing a charge. My rated range to start was 308, and the temp was in the 30s when I left and warmed up to the high 40s by end of day. I drove at 65mph almost the whole way, and made the round trip with 50 miles of range still left. What freedom! In my MS I would have needed to stop for 30-45 min of charging on the NJ turnpike.

Also, the more I have listened to the sound system in the M3 the more I think it's the best I have heard in my almost 40 years of driving. The clarity of the streaming from Slacker has something to do with it i'm sure, but the bass literally pumps vibrations through your left leg while driving and listening at higher volumes. Speaking of Slacker, I never explored it during my three years with the MS since I have Sirius in that car. I will most likely not renew Sirius in the M3 even when it's available. I can stream from my Sirius phone app when I need to listen to CNBC or other non music channels...no need to add a Sirius subscription for music.

On the "we are still driving a beta product" side, I have had a message since last week on the screen telling me to get my charge port door serviced, even though it seems to work fine. I called the Devon PA service center and they want me to come in and have the door replaced which I'm doing this week.

Are you able to stream Sirius through the car internet connection or do you have to use your phone's LTE connectivity?

The liquid used to clean the windshield and apply the tint pooled up on the sides after using a squeegee and somehow it fried the computer. As to whether it directly shorted the computer or indirectly I don’t know, I just know the liquid reached an area where a short occurred and fried the computer. They replaced it and that was that. It only effected the screen functions but the car still worked.
You're referring to only the windsheild right? Tinting the door windows and roof did not cause any issues I'm assuming?

You are seeing model S and X production dropping in March by significant numbers. It will be interesting how Tesla accounts for this in the earnings call as the gross margin on the S and X are far higher than the 3. That could be a disaster for Tesla ever hopping to turn a net profit. The original post may be an indication of why there has been such a large drop in S and X production. Fill production with the base $35,000 model that most are waiting for and the numbers do not look good.

You are seeing model S and X production dropping in March by significant numbers. It will be interesting how Tesla accounts for this in the earnings call as the gross margin on the S and X are far higher than the 3. That could be a disaster for Tesla ever hopping to turn a net profit. The original post may be an indication of why there has been such a large drop in S and X production. Fill production with the base $35,000 model that most are waiting for and the numbers do not look good.
Seeing as how people who ordered the S and X now have to wait until September or later, I’m not worried about lower production numbers for a month or even a quarter. If the annual numbers are lower, then your concern has merit.

Also, many M3 reservation holders seem to be waiting for AWD and white interior.

Moisture from the installation process can drip down the inside of the window and short the computer. They need to be very careful to seal the bottom or ensure no moisture makes it past the dash, between the window and the dash.

Thank you for the note!!!!

I got my car back earlier this week, I used All Pro Window Films in Raleigh, NC. They said they ordered an extra large piece for the back. They hadn't done a Model 3 as of yet. They do a lot of high end cars and films and had no problem - they were able to get it on the first try! I am loving the look and I just ordered the lug nut cover kit from the Tesla website because I kind o feel like the plastic covers that are on my wheels look a little well, plastic! I would upload a picture but I haven't figured out how to do it just yet! Oh wait, I see the button! Its below :)

Attachments

• pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: SoCalMom
h0532.gif
I'm skeered!