Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My M6 F12 2013 buddy was mocking me for weeks and today he drove my P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As some of you may know :)
I came from M5 F10 CPackage "Ultimate driving machine" actually second one in a row!

And been happy with my Tesla P90D and can't get out of the car!! :)

But my friend whom i actually got him into ann M6 2013 in like new when I was shopping for one myself he beat me to it :)

And has been mocking and scoffing at me at work and making people chide me for my sheer stupidity buying an EV a silent dumb car!

and Low and Behold he asked me to drive it today and I was in the back seat because another friend was in the passenger seat too!! He wasn't literally blown away and came out really really impressed and jaw dropping experience for him and I didn't comment and knew that I made the right decision because he was in the defensive to prove me wrong at least to prove his recent purchase right but his laughs and giggles driving it made it impossible for him to say anything but sing praises !!!!

Just though I need to share!!

I predict he's now at home configuring his own on the website, calculating what he can get for his car, how much needs to come up with, and contemplating how he breaks the news to his wife... oh, and he's probably getting the 100 just so he can beat you because he can't let you get the last laugh! ;)

Doubt it!
He's really a "Petrol head" "Piston head" however you wanna call it :)

But hey, impressed he was and vindicates I am ;)

So which p90dl do you have ? The 458kw version or the newer 512 kw version? If the former then he is in for a real shock when he drives the more revert p90dl or p100dl.

Doubtful anyone would be able to tell a difference of 0.1 to 0.2 seconds in the quarter mile, and approximately 0.1 seconds in 0-60 between "the 458KW version" or the "512 KW version" of the P90D with Ludicrous, by just driving either car.

It's tough to "feel" differences that small.

At any rate, to the original poster, glad to hear that your buddy got the chance to experience your car's capabilities.

Reactions: davidc18
Doubtful anyone would be able to tell a difference of 0.1 to 0.2 seconds in the quarter mile, and approximately 0.1 seconds in 0-60 between "the 458KW version" or the "512 KW version" of the P90D with Ludicrous, by just driving either car.

It's tough to "feel" differences that small.

At any rate, to the original poster, glad to hear that your buddy got the chance to experience your car's capabilities.

True and untrue!
I had to M5's F10 one non comp package and one comp package after it and the difference in the pull was obvious and let me say very noticeable across the power and and these were two cars 11.7 vs 11.6 sec quarter mile and 3.6 sec 0-60,

Ask yes I could tell the 0.1 sec let alone the fact that we are talking 50 bhp while in M5 case 15 bhp !!!

IMHO

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
True and untrue!
I had to M5's F10 one non comp package and one comp package after it and the difference in the pull was obvious and let me say very noticeable across the power and and these were two cars 11.7 vs 11.6 sec quarter mile and 3.6 sec 0-60,

Ask yes I could tell the 0.1 sec let alone the fact that we are talking 50 bhp while in M5 case 15 bhp !!!

IMHO

Well I certainly won't doubt your experiences. And I certainly do not know as much about the M5 as you do and about it's power delivery between versions.

However when I was drag racing, often times I couldn't tell whether I ran a 10.9 or an 11.1 in the same car, based entirely on the "feel" of the two attempts, and the only way that I could tell was from the time slips.

I've made passes that I just knew were better than the last, and gotten the time slip and saw that the second attempt was worse, and I've made passes that I just knew were worse than the last, which the time slip showed to be better.

And I certainly could not tell a 1.7xx 60ft time from a 1.8xx, and no doubt could not tell a difference of a tenth in 0-60 time either between two runs in the same car.

I simply cannot tell a .1 second difference in a quarter mile elapsed time or a 0-60 time. I'll back off from saying that you can't. but curiosity makes me wonder and from a purely scientific standpoint, it would be interesting to see how often, and proportionately how many human beings can perceive such a minisucle difference in covering a distance of a quarter mile, or in traveling from 0-60 with rollout.

Awesome! My gearhead buddy made fun of me buying a Tesla golf cart. Now I tease him that it must suck getting beat by a golf cart.

I've gotten the "golf cart treatment" too.

I tell them; "If a Tesla is a golf cart, then an ICE vehicle is a riding lawn mower".

Thank you for making me less interested in P100D LOL
I understood that fully loaded P100D vs V2-V3 P90D will be 0.2 sec apart Quarter mile and same if it 0.1 sec only 0-60 mph

Thank you P85Dee

No problem.

But seriously, considering that on a trade in, they'd offer you wholesale for yours, and want retail for theirs, one has to think for a minute just how much 2 tenths improvement in the quarter mile of an already 11.0-11.1 fully loaded car, and 1 tenth in 0-60 is worth to them.

If you're racing every day and need every last tenth, or just seeking bragging rights, well then it's probably going to mean more to you than it would perhaps someone else.

But once you reach a certain point of straight line performance capability, and that point will vary for many, indeed, some would want, and would buy a 9 second car for the street if Tesla came out with one, it's simply not usable, and arguably hardly perceptible on the street, unless you are at the upper extremes.

Thank you for making me less interested in P100D LOL
I understood that fully loaded P100D vs V2-V3 P90D will be 0.2 sec apart Quarter mile and same if it 0.1 sec only 0-60 mph

Thank you P85Dee
Are you guys comparing P90D or P90D to the P100 here? Since we can't buy P90D here in Australia any more...so I am very interested in P90D vs P100 (or P85D!!) times....

I used to be a petrol head, I've owned 3 AMGs, 4 BMWs, a few corvettes along the way. There's something about the sweet sound of a v8 roaring as you mash the pedal. However, I've had my P90D for a bit over a month. It's far from a track car, but I don't think I could ever drive anything else as a daily. It is just that much fun.

Remember the saying "There's no replacement for displacement? Well now there is... It's called a battery pack :)

I can always pick up a MX-5 if I want a track car.

Reactions: P85DEE and DIL
I used to be a petrol head, I've owned 3 AMGs, 4 BMWs, a few corvettes along the way. There's something about the sweet sound of a v8 roaring as you mash the pedal. However, I've had my P90D for a bit over a month. It's far from a track car, but I don't think I could ever drive anything else as a daily. It is just that much fun.

Remember the saying "There's no replacement for displacement? Well now there is... It's called a battery pack :)

I can always pick up a MX-5 if I want a track car.

I agree. A dedicated track car, or a car more suited for the track, is the way to go these days if you're a track rat.