Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My main concern with Tesla Model s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be in the market for another EV or hybred car in 2014. Currently own a 2012 Volt. I am happy with it but I wish it was a 5 seater. I am considering the Model S but because I am now retired and enjoy road trips, I fear Model S would be a bad choice. I wish Tesla would design a generator tow package that could be tow behind the Model S when one is going on a long road trip. The un hitched when you arrive at your destination. If such a combination was available. I would buy it. For now I will wait to see what Cadillac will be offering.

I need a care I can depend on for long trips. Across country if need be.

If I were you I would sit tight for 3-6 months and watch what Tesla does with the SuperCharger network. If they demonstrate commitment to building it it then put your deposit down in March. By the time your car is ready you should be able to go cross country or close to it using SuperChargers.

The long road trip in an EV has many solutions. Nissan is offering 10 free car rentals with the purchase of the Leaf. The Volt and Fisker hybrids offer and onboard generator to boost up their small batteries when they loose a charge. PBP (mostly in Inda) has battery-swap stations around the country.

Tesla's solution is twofold. First giving a real world range of 265 to 300 miles (5 hours of driving) per charge and the instalation of 100 Superchargers around the country. (six in California already) They are solar powered sites that fill the car in nearly an hour. See here for details. Supercharger | Tesla Motors

I am buying a Model S, and I will use it for interstate road trips repeatedly for work and pleasure, mostly in the Midwest/Northeast. Once the Supercharger network is in place, this will be a no-brainer.

Until then, I will do what the "XC in a Tesla Model S" people did with their cross-country Model S trip, and charge at RV parks, HPC units at Tesla Stores/Service Centers, or any other high-amperage charge sites I can find on Recargo, Plugshare or Chargepoint.

Take a look here for the first cross-country trip done in a Model S, for proof that this is possible even without Supercharger stations:

XC in a Tesla Model S

This is a great tool that really helped with any road trip anxiety I had. You can select the Model S with any battery package that is offered along with other EV's to compare their range capabilities on long trip while considering the driving style and speeds you select.

After selecting the car, your driving style and speed, you can place markers on the map with the route you would like to take along with potential stops along the way that may have charging opportunities. It takes into consideration the terrain along with the other criteria you choose when calculating your remaining range.

One caveat is, that if you take a ferry or a bridge, it considers the under water elevations and there is no correction for that. Tesla has not yet added the submersible feature either.

Have some fun with this: http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/

It now has me thinking of a long road trip as a fun adventure, much like a rally race.

Welcome to the forum, mocnarf.

During your road trips, what do you expect the peak number of hours of driving per day will be? And at what speed? For example, some road trippers (especially retired ones) choose to take non-highway routes because of the beauty and variety of scenery.