Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My manual is blank and screen locks up when I try to read it...have to reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the new release, don't know if this problem is related.

I brought up the manual, and all the section titles are there but the content for all of them is blank.

When I close the manual, the screen dims and locks up completely. I rebooted (two button), but that didn't fix it. Locked up and had to reboot again.

Any ideas? 2016 75D MCU2.

That's exactly what happened with my 2020 Model S a couple of weeks ago - I looked at the manual, which "half displayed" then the screen locked up and I couldn't clear the manual, scroll it or enter my PIN to drive.
Rebooted and it worked again.

Just got the new release, don't know if this problem is related.

I brought up the manual, and all the section titles are there but the content for all of them is blank.

When I close the manual, the screen dims and locks up completely. I rebooted (two button), but that didn't fix it. Locked up and had to reboot again.

Any ideas? 2016 75D MCU2.
I had the same problem today. 2021 M3

I'll save you guys time trying to contact Tesla about it.
  1. Wait until next update, fix is coming
  2. If still broken after update, go to step 1
This is years of Tesla ownership talking. I've seen the above used many times, on a couple of occasions even for mechanical failures (!). Manual in the car has never worked reliably for more than a few updates, something always broke it, so I stopped using it completely, which is what I think Tesla is counting on - use your smartphone, tablet, whatever. I suspect displaying the manual is never tested by Elon (a.k.a. Tesla QA) and when customers report it's broken, it is assigned a very low priority to fix. I have yet to see any reports of broken fart mode though. ;)

Exact same problem today while in a parking lot trying to read the manual. It worked fine when I first picked up the car in May 2019. Haven’t tried to access owners manual for a very long time before today. Could actually be useful if needed in an emergency situation to look up functionality of things not often used.