Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Message to Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rolf A

Apr 23, 2022
Message to Elon Musk:

Tesla Model S Improvement Suggestions

We have had our 2020 model S for two years now and really love it. I think the car is fantastic. My wife likes to drive it whenever she has a chance. But there are some things that could be improved:

• Let second driver’s key be linked to their profile so that when they get in the car all their settings will already be activated
  • Not enough light in the trunk
  • Not enough storage space in the cockpit. Need to add pockets in the front doors and nets on the back of the front seats for storage in the rear
  • Autopilot is totally unreliable. If the sun hits the car just right, some of the cameras are blinded and you get a warning. It’s annoying to have to put your hands on the wheel frequently, or autopilot drops out. Autopilot only works on highways, so how does Tesla think they’ll be able to navigate to a residential destination?
  • The range indicators are quite inaccurate. We did a round-trip a destination that was 106 miles away. We started with 330 miles in the battery. When we returned home, we had 27 miles left. So how did we lose 118 miles? So the claim that a Tesla S can do over 370 miles on a full charge is some kind of fantasy.
  • When leaving the car, the car should lock within 5 seconds. One can always unlock it again.
  • When in cruise control, the car will often suddenly slow down or stop and beep at you because it saw something that seamed like a hazard. This would not happen if a person was in control. They would simply steer around the object, like a parked car.
  • The fact that the map is ever-present on the screen is annoying. It would be better if one could determine what to have on the screen. Or is that possible now and we just don’t know how?
  • The frequent software updates that can be easily downloaded are a great feature. However, when I read the details, I often find that some of the new features won’t work on my car. Example, the latest update said you can modify your bottom line on the screen by dragging an icon, like the seat heater for example, to the bottom. I could not make it work. Or that you could open the glove compartment by voice command. Didn’t work when I tried it.
  • The message says the car will stop at a traffic signal in 500 feet. And it does, even if the light is green. Why?
  • There are obviously way too few Tesla Superchargers available to date. I know they are adding new ones as fast as they can. But why not offer an adaptor cable so you can use any other EV charger? Or is that already available?

Message to Elon Musk:

Moderator note: Tesla Motors Club ("TMC") is completely independent from Tesla, Inc ("Tesla"). Tesla employees sometimes read TMC postings, but there's definitely no guarantee that this or any other post will be seen by anyone at Tesla, whether Elon Musk or any of the other thousands of people who work for the company.

Bruce.

Reactions: markc2 and WhiteWi
Message to Elon Musk:

We have had our 2020 model S for two years now and really love it. I think the car is fantastic. My wife likes to drive it whenever she has a chance. But there are some things that could be improved:

• Let second driver’s key be linked to their profile so that when they get in the car all their settings will already be activated
  • Not enough storage space in the cockpit. Need to add pockets in the front doors and nets on the back of the front seats for storage in the rear
  • Autopilot is totally unreliable. If the sun hits the car just right, some of the cameras are blinded and you get a warning. It’s annoying to have to put your hands on the wheel frequently, or autopilot drops out. Autopilot only works on highways, so how does Tesla think they’ll be able to navigate to a residential destination?
  • The range indicators are quite inaccurate. We did a round-trip a destination that was 106 miles away. We started with 330 miles in the battery. When we returned home, we had 27 miles left. So how did we lose 118 miles? So the claim that a Tesla S can do over 370 miles on a full charge is some kind of fantasy.
  • When leaving the car, the car should lock within 5 seconds. One can always unlock it again.
  • When in cruise control, the car will often suddenly slow down or stop and beep at you because it saw something that seamed like a hazard. This would not happen if a person was in control. They would simply steer around the object, like a parked car.
  • The fact that the map is ever-present on the screen is annoying. It would be better if one could determine what to have on the screen. Or is that possible now and we just don’t know how?
  • The frequent software updates that can be easily downloaded are a great feature. However, when I read the details, I often find that some of the new features won’t work on my car. Example, the latest update said you can modify your bottom line on the screen by dragging an icon, like the seat heater for example, to the bottom. I could not make it work. Or that you could open the glove compartment by voice command. Didn’t work when I tried it.
  • The message says the car will stop at a traffic signal in 500 feet. And it does, even if the light is green. Why?
  • There are obviously way too few Tesla Superchargers available to date. I know they are adding new ones as fast as they can. But why not offer an adaptor cable so you can use any other EV charger? Or is that already available?
You know they stopped making the vehicle you are asking to have these changes applied to, right?

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X and Hayseed_MS
Message to Elon Musk:

Message to Rolf A:

All suggestions will be implemented in 2 weeks via OTA and they will be mind blowing.

Elon

• Funny
Reactions: markc2 and QUBO
Let second driver’s key be linked to their profile so that when they get in the car all their settings will already be activated
This definitely already exists. Go into your phone keys on the MCU and apply a profile to each one.
The range indicators are quite inaccurate. We did a round-trip a destination that was 106 miles away. We started with 330 miles in the battery. When we returned home, we had 27 miles left. So how did we lose 118 miles? So the claim that a Tesla S can do over 370 miles on a full charge is some kind of fantasy.
I recommend setting the battery indicator to percentage. The battery provides energy, not distance. If you set the indicator to miles then the car has to estimate. It's estimates won't include elevation, rain, headwinds, battery cooling, aggressive starts, and hard stops. You got home with 27 miles, so it was only 91 miles off. Still not great, but it happens.

Glad you enjoy the car! I also think driving electric is great.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS

We had that ability long ago when I bought my MS but Tesla decided to no longer give drivers the ability to choose which apps fill up the MCU screen a few years ago. Now navigation maps are mandatory.

This is already supported and has been for a while.

Aftermarket options are available.

The Model S refresh (2022+) addresses this by adding new center console space and I believe door pockets.

The FSD Beta (currently in limited testing) addresses and corrects a lot of shortcomings the existing FSD system has.

Outside temperature, technique (speed), terrain (road conditions), and climate control usage are the biggest factors in range usage. EPA estimates assume a perfectly flat road doing 55-60 mph with perfect weather. Any alteration from that will affect the range you see.

It already does this.

See note about FSD beta above.

It used to be this way prior to software v9. Not sure if Tesla will ever change it back.

Software fragmentation is going to happen. There are many features that I would like my car to have but they are not supported for one reason or another.

See FSD Beta note above. In particular, the handling of traffic lights and stop signs is SIGNIFICANTLY better.

There are already adapters for J1772 (included with your car), Chademo (not sure if you can still buy them), and now CCS/DCFC becoming available.

For some reason, I have been noticing an uptick in "drive by posting", in the model 3 subforum. What I mean by that is, people who:

1. Join TMC with a new account
2. Make a post
3. Log off and dont log back in to even see if people reply to their newly created thread.

Its my belief that anyone who cares enough to create a new thread would at least log in to check to see if people replied to their thread. If they dont, then I figure its not actually a real post, even though the content might look like a real post.

In this case, the OP of this thread created an account, and logged off of TMC basically right after making this post (yesterday) and has not even come back to see if anyone replied.

Usually, when I say something like this, responses are like "well, not everyone lives on TMC" and thats fair, but, I still have the opinion that anyone who cares enough to actually create an account here, and also create a new thread, would care enough to at least log in to see if anyone replied to their thread.

This may or may not be the case here, but since they havent logged in to even look at the post once since creating it....l shrug.

For some reason, I have been noticing an uptick in "drive by posting", in the model 3 subforum. What I mean by that is, people who:

1. Join TMC with a new account
2. Make a post
3. Log off and dont log back in to even see if people reply to their newly created thread.

Its my belief that anyone who cares enough to create a new thread would at least log in to check to see if people replied to their thread. If they dont, then I figure its not actually a real post, even though the content might look like a real post.

In this case, the OP of this thread created an account, and logged off of TMC basically right after making this post (yesterday) and has not even come back to see if anyone replied.

Usually, when I say something like this, responses are like "well, not everyone lives on TMC" and thats fair, but, I still have the opinion that anyone who cares enough to actually create an account here, and also create a new thread, would care enough to at least log in to see if anyone replied to their thread.

This may or may not be the case here, but since they havent logged in to even look at the post once since creating it....l shrug.

I have been checking this thread to see if my hunch was correct, and the OP would not return to even check on it. Like I said, I have seen a pretty decent uptick in this specific type of behavior, which, frankly I consider as "trolling lite", as it masquerades as "regular content" even though the person doesnt engage in dialog after the drive by post.

In this case:

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.09.28 PM.png

Still no login after creating account, posting, and logging off (unless this was a sockpuppet account).

So, looks like my hunch on this one was correct. Not real content, even though the post is trying to give the appearance of real content.

I have been checking this thread to see if my hunch was correct, and the OP would not return to even check on it. Like I said, I have seen a pretty decent uptick in this specific type of behavior, which, frankly I consider as "trolling lite", as it masquerades as "regular content" even though the person doesnt engage in dialog after the drive by post.

In this case:

View attachment 798241

Still no login after creating account, posting, and logging off (unless this was a sockpuppet account).

So, looks like my hunch on this one was correct. Not real content, even though the post is trying to give the appearance of real content.

I have not seen the other "drive by posting" instances you had mentioned. But what are they trying to achieve? Any guess?

I have not seen the other "drive by posting" instances you had mentioned. But what are they trying to achieve? Any guess?

Obviously just guessing, but probably ("Lets get discussion going!" (or trolling)

My personal opinion (and its just an opinion) is that at least some of the ones I see are sockpuppet accounts ("sockpuppet" account is a secondary account someone creates to be separate from their "main" account for various reasons that usually involve not having whatever they are about to say associated with their regular account).

Some of them may think they are reaching tesla itself and be looking at creating an account and posting as the equivalent of "sending a feedback email".

My personal opinion (and its just an opinion) is that at least some of the ones I see are sockpuppet accounts ("sockpuppet" account is a secondary account someone creates to be separate from their "main" account for various reasons that usually involve not having whatever they are about to say associated with their regular account).

I should have also said this when I stated the above, but "sockpuppet" accounts are not allowed on TMC, and if we find them, in addition to banning the sockpuppet account, the parent account is also subject to discipline up to and including temp bans or even permanent bans for repeat offenders.

Reactions: WhiteWi