Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

my mockup of carplay on model 3 display

would u want to see carplay added as a software update or part of an upgrade?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be honest CarPlay would probably be pretty easy to implement, since it is just screen mirroring. Tesla choosing to not do it probably has more to do with their belief that their infotainment system is better than difficulty or even licensing as I think Apple doesn’t actually charge for CarPlay anymore.

could be. but because it's apple i'm sure it's harder than it looks - they are the king of fiddly APIs. technically it's not mirroring, it's a 2nd head. when you take a screenshot while CarPlay is running, you get two images, the iPhone's screen and the CP screen.

it's true that in the bolt CarPlay pretty much takes over the screen except for a small strip at the bottom and tesla's not comfortable with re-configuring the whole interface to accommodate something like CP or Android Auto. just covering over most of the existing screen as in OP's mockup is likely a non-starter for them.

Reactions: cwerdna
could be. but because it's apple i'm sure it's harder than it looks - they are the king of fiddly APIs. technically it's not mirroring, it's a 2nd head. when you take a screenshot while CarPlay is running, you get two images, the iPhone's screen and the CP screen.

it's true that in the bolt CarPlay pretty much takes over the screen except for a small strip at the bottom and tesla's not comfortable with re-configuring the whole interface to accommodate something like CP or Android Auto. just covering over most of the existing screen as in OP's mockup is likely a non-starter for them.
They could probably run it as an overlay like the backup camera.

Had it in my q7 and dont miss it at all. Texting is better on the Tesla than carplay since it actually shows the words.

Same here. I still have it in my Volt. And every time I get in I droop my head and go ugh, CarPlay.

I hate having to constantly flip between, Music, Nav, Phone.

And the new "integrated" view is nice but only works with Apple Maps which I never use.

Now that messaging is implemented on Tesla I hardly see any advantage to CarPlay. And Tesla's text messaging works better.

If they every do implement CarPlay, I sure hope it's not like what the OP proposes.

I think it could be implemented as a Tesla "App" that doesn't interfere with the rest of the Tesla UI.
Possibly it could be integrated like Music is (a top level core function) where you can set degrees of how much you want to view.
There are complexities doing that though, in that the user could access two phones, two Nav's etc. simultaneously which can cause problems. Apple solves those issues by being in "full control" of the UI. But I don't want to see it implemented that way because you go back to the constant fliping. Some day Apple will probably have better layout options for larger screens. Until then I don't think it will be pretty.

So, both the onscreen UI and the physical UX really, really give me zero need for CarPlay.

My prior Cadillac (and the wife’s half-a-Buick) have CarPlay. I also think the later iterations of Cadillac CUE are some of the best in the auto industry.

... but it’s still baby software. It’s a joke. It’s a craptastic addon to a base vehicle designed around the AM radio and vacuum switches for HVAC.

The way Model 3 is designed makes me FORGET about my phone. I put it on the charging pad, shut the lid, and forget it’s there.

I have a beautiful map and routing software on a gorgeous screen. It actually WORKS, unlike almost any other car company that hired Harmon or Bosch or Delco or whomever to put a map in their AM radio.

I have music - TuneIn, Spotify, Slacker, USB, Bluetooth - all through the same display. I don’t need my phone UI *at all* and honestly - I don’t want it!

CarPlay was nice when I was stuck in the world of Double-DIN. Driving a software defined car? I don’t want to go backwards and half-ass it with some wonky interface designed for a Kia.

who cares about the cost of a mandatory license?

Whoever has to pay for it cares.

Tesla has data on what % of model 3 owners use homelink after all.

If they install at the factory they must charge 100% of buyers for the license (and the parts of course) to cover their own costs.

Obviously their data found that enough people do NOT use it that it made sense to NOT pass on that cost to 100% of owners, but still offer it as an after-delivery option to those who still want it and want to pay the fee for it.

developing a CarPlay interface for the car has its own cost that tesla would have to bear anyway. go ahead and pass it along to me

Tesla has been pretty clear- for years- they have 0 interest in doing that versus putting development $ toward their own interface.

They wouldn't have bothered developing their own text message system for the UI for example if they were just gonna do CP/AA.

... that's not my gripe. my gripe is that they nickel and dime you to death with accessories and apparently refuse to implement things that they'd have to pay royalties on which other car manufacturers happily do.

And those other manufacturers pass the cost on to every single customer even if they had no desire or use for the licensed tech.

It's weird that your gripe appears to be "Tesla isn't screwing us as badly as everyone else"

that's the biggest laugh i've had all day - so the nav algorithm still uses the traffic data - ok... honestly that's not how people expect to use traffic data.

People don't expect that the nav will use traffic data to plot the quickest route in light of current traffic conditions?

Really?

Because that's what the Tesla nav does even without premium data...and is kinda the main reason to HAVE traffic data.

they want to look at the screen and see where the congestion is. i'm sure everyone who uses google maps and apple maps would be 100% happy to have the display of the traffic data removed even though "it's still there". if it's so worthless to people, why does tesla include display of traffic info in a $100 per year uncharge?? really.

So your theory is people want traffic data, NOT to actually get the fastest route... but to look at pretty colored lines?

That's... certainly... an opinion....

I think it might be more like...

interior-screen-1-desktop.jpg

Just another option in the music section. Or maybe it would cover the music bar and be an option you picked from the little up arrow where the phone and stuff is. But basically it would take up about as much of the screen as the web browser

Reactions: Colin87849
Tesla should offer CarPlay and Android Auto. End of story. Some people want to use it. You don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. These are luxury cars, and they should offer basic features like this.

All this “Tesla has a custom interface and so can’t make this happen” is BS. I’ve had modern loaner BMW’s - they have their own custom music, navigation, stock, weather, and other interfaces, yet they still manage to offer CarPlay. I had a Lincoln rental car half a year ago - again, custom music, navigation, etc., interface, yet still offered CarPlay.

This is simply an issue of Tesla deciding they don’t want to do it. Nothing more.

Also, from what ive read carplay can now use any screen, since apple has relaxed
I see. FWIW, I've personally used CarPlay w/my iPhone 8 on 3 different cars, so far: my Bolt and rental Altima and Elantra. I've seen other post movies, pics, and screenshots of it on others w/very different sized screens, sometimes with different aspect ratios.

Apple CarPlay shows '19 Bolt vs. '19 Altima. This was with iOS 12.

starting at 1:22 shows it on a very wide BMW screen.
is some vehicle w/a small LCD.