Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Audio SQ Build Log (Helix, Audiofrog, HAT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well looks like I’m going to have to deal with the whole excessive power draw issue now. I’m getting warnings overnight about the 12V system. If I only have my Helix V Eight DSP/Amp hooked up there are no issues. As soon as the M one is hooked up too there are problems. Looks like the solution to this is in other posts about using a relay and resistor. Time to investigate!

Attachments

• 47DECEBF-152A-42A7-B158-056FC47A27BD.jpeg
    47DECEBF-152A-42A7-B158-056FC47A27BD.jpeg
    691.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4

Amazing write-up, thanks for taking the time to post all this! Sorry to take you all the way back to the first post, but I'm curious about your experience with the RF P300-10. I had this exact same powered sub in my Lexus CT200h and thought it was pretty awesome for the money. And it can't get much easier with all connections included in the one box. Can you discuss why you didn't like the result? I'm thinking of either that model or the P300-8P for my Model 3. I have the premium system already but the OEM 8 in. sub is weak IMO. I'd like to add a second one to compliment it.

Amazing write-up, thanks for taking the time to post all this! Sorry to take you all the way back to the first post, but I'm curious about your experience with the RF P300-10. I had this exact same powered sub in my Lexus CT200h and thought it was pretty awesome for the money. And it can't get much easier with all connections included in the one box. Can you discuss why you didn't like the result? I'm thinking of either that model or the P300-8P for my Model 3. I have the premium system already but the OEM 8 in. sub is weak IMO. I'd like to add a second one to compliment it.

Personally I just felt it was too boomy sounding. It didn’t really sonically match the rest of the speakers well. But I’m being pretty picky. If you stuck a line out converter in front of it that allows you more tuning or even put a small DSP in front of it you’d have way better results. For the money, it’s not a bad solution. I’ve definitely gone from trying to spend 300-400 to closer to 3000. But this is a hobby and fun for me so there’s that I suppose lol.

Personally I just felt it was too boomy sounding. It didn’t really sonically match the rest of the speakers well. But I’m being pretty picky. If you stuck a line out converter in front of it that allows you more tuning or even put a small DSP in front of it you’d have way better results. For the money, it’s not a bad solution. I’ve definitely gone from trying to spend 300-400 to closer to 3000. But this is a hobby and fun for me so there’s that I suppose lol.

Copy thanks. I'm the opposite, I just like to rock out, I'm not too picky, so I'm guessing I'd be pretty happy with that for the price. I can always try it and if I don't like it, go to something more involved like the NVX option. Thanks!

Copy thanks. I'm the opposite, I just like to rock out, I'm not too picky, so I'm guessing I'd be pretty happy with that for the price. I can always try it and if I don't like it, go to something more involved like the NVX option. Thanks!
I’d highly reccomend tossing one of those NVX line out converters in front of the powered sub. That way you can restore the rolled off low bass and this rock out harder!

Well, I went ahead and did the MPP shutdown procedure on the car, and then attached both amps again. I powered it up, and no problems. I haven't seen any warnings now for about 24 hours. I think the issue wasn't the large current inrush issue that other people saw, but maybe me hooking things up without a proper full shutdown when the 12V battery was already drained from leaving the doors open for hours while the contactor plugs were undone but the 12V battery was still attached.

Lesson learned! Use the proper shutdown method!

Also, should I need to actually deal with adding a relay and charging resistor, This blog here really details the safest way to do it.

Last edited:
Well, I went ahead and did the MPP shutdown procedure on the car, and then attached both amps again. I powered it up, and no problems. I haven't seen any warnings now for about 24 hours. I think the issue wasn't the large current inrush issue that other people saw, but maybe me hooking things up without a proper full shutdown when the 12V battery was already drained from leaving the doors open for hours while the contactor plugs were undone but the 12V battery was still attached.

Lesson learned! Use the proper shutdown method!

Also, should I need to actually deal with adding a relay and charging resistor, This blog here really details the safest way to do it.

I learned by lesson too. Always do the proper shut down! Those warnings freaked me out the first time around!

Didn't do a ton of work tonight, pretty tired. I got the amp rack pretty much all done and ready to go. Secured the RCA on the backside of the board, and then got everything aligned and the rack hung and tightened down. It seems nice and secure now! You can see I have the wire bundles all ready to be shortened and hooked up now. I should be able to actually do a full powerup shortly! Getting excited!

Attachments

• IMG_4285.jpeg
    IMG_4285.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_4286.jpeg
    IMG_4286.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_4287.jpeg
    IMG_4287.jpeg
    728.3 KB · Views: 226
Some great progress tonight. The Helix V Eight DSP is all hooked up and it works! I had to get the laptop in the car to make some adjustments and setup, but the intial configuration is done. I immediately noticed the sound coming out of the stock speakers is improved and clearer.. and can get louder. I plugged in a UMM-1 microphone into the laptop and did some quick real-time analysis. I'm made some minor tweaks to the EQ to bring up and down a few frequencies just to try it all out. I haven't figured out the automatic tuning quite yet.

This DSP is crazy powerful and all the tools are amazing! I can't wait to get the new speakers in, and also get the subwoofer running.

The subwoofer however, is another problem at this point. If I leave my M One subwoofer amp attached to the power, I still keep getting that error message about the electrical system. At this point, I've talked with other installers about how they are doing the model 3/Y. It seems like most avoid the penthouse and run straight off the battery in the front. I figured at this point, no harm in trying it. I'm going to get some more 4ga wire and make a run up there.

If that doesn't work, then the backup plan is either to buy a subwoofer amp with less capacitance (like the NVX VADM1), or just run the sub off the V Eight's last 2 channels. I originally was going to do that, but decided I wanted the rear speakers in the doors to work still. With the V Eight and the amount of speakers I'm running, you'd need another 2 channels to do it. I suppose in hindsight, going with the V Twelve would let you run the whole show off one box! I could also run the sub off those two channels and then use the line outs to drive a small 2-channel amp to run the rears.. or heck, I could just run the rears off the stock headunits... but it's a lot harder to match volumes without using the DSP.

Attachments

• IMG_4305.jpeg
    IMG_4305.jpeg
    548.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4309.jpeg
    IMG_4309.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4310.jpeg
    IMG_4310.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: DennyL and Hayden
Some great progress tonight. The Helix V Eight DSP is all hooked up and it works! I had to get the laptop in the car to make some adjustments and setup, but the intial configuration is done. I immediately noticed the sound coming out of the stock speakers is improved and clearer.. and can get louder. I plugged in a UMM-1 microphone into the laptop and did some quick real-time analysis. I'm made some minor tweaks to the EQ to bring up and down a few frequencies just to try it all out. I haven't figured out the automatic tuning quite yet.

This DSP is crazy powerful and all the tools are amazing! I can't wait to get the new speakers in, and also get the subwoofer running.

The subwoofer however, is another problem at this point. If I leave my M One subwoofer amp attached to the power, I still keep getting that error message about the electrical system. At this point, I've talked with other installers about how they are doing the model 3/Y. It seems like most avoid the penthouse and run straight off the battery in the front. I figured at this point, no harm in trying it. I'm going to get some more 4ga wire and make a run up there.

If that doesn't work, then the backup plan is either to buy a subwoofer amp with less capacitance (like the NVX VADM1), or just run the sub off the V Eight's last 2 channels. I originally was going to do that, but decided I wanted the rear speakers in the doors to work still. With the V Eight and the amount of speakers I'm running, you'd need another 2 channels to do it. I suppose in hindsight, going with the V Twelve would let you run the whole show off one box! I could also run the sub off those two channels and then use the line outs to drive a small 2-channel amp to run the rears.. or heck, I could just run the rears off the stock headunits... but it's a lot harder to match volumes without using the DSP.

Sorry I didn’t answer your question about power. With my Helix M One X, I tested with a JL Audio 13W7 and running the amp to its full potential, the bass was pounding so hard my front dash was rattling nuts and not a single error about power. Hope that helps to run it from the 12V battery.

For those that are following this thread I have a very similar set up on MYP. Can check out my album. Tesla Model Y Audio Upgrade

3KkxZfa.jpg

Great progress, still mapping out my system, slowly.

What are you using to turn on your amps/dsp...speaker signal? I hear just as many positive stories about running off the penthouse without any errors. You think it has to do with the amps?
Helix will turn on automatically when it sense the factory audio signal. No remote wires needed. I doubt it’s the amps, the Helix are compact and known to run very efficient.

Last edited:
I wonder if people using a single amp or a separate LOC as their turn on signal have better success. I could see two large draw components turning on at the same time causing an issue and maybe the LOC adds just enough of a delay. Just a theory.
I haven’t noticed any issues with my set up. There is a delay when the audio comes on, the Helix DSP amp comes on first then my Helix sub amp comes with a delay. My sub amp is powered on by remote cable to from the DSP amp.

I wonder if people using a single amp or a separate LOC as their turn on signal have better success. I could see two large draw components turning on at the same time causing an issue and maybe the LOC adds just enough of a delay. Just a theory.

So it’s not the turn on or delay that’s the issue. It’s the current inrush to the capacitors in the amp. When the penthouse sees that large spike it’s throwing those messages.

a lot of the amps that I see are working off the penthouse are smaller more micro style amps or class GH. For example my Helix DSP amp has almost the same amount of total power output as the sub amp. The DSP is class GD and the sub amp is D. That’s also a factor.

Denny’s system is running off the front battery. I’ve now talked to about 3 installers and technically people who do systems in the 3/Y and they all say they run their systems off that battery. So I’m going to redo my wiring to the battery instead.

I know people have has issues with the battery and radar detectors but that’s probably because they were on all the time drawing phantom power. The helix amps draw almost nothing when they have no signal.
I have faith!

Reactions: DennyL
Keep us posted. I was optimistic about not having to run to the battery but if that is the only way then so be it. Thanks!
It’s the traditional way it’s done on ICE to the battery and many installers are doing that with Tesla’s. Also running it from the battery will help prevent the penthouse being sensitive about how it feels versus directly being connected to it. Many people got it to work going directly to the penthouse but going the traditional way is the best bet to prevent errors from even occurring. I wanted to go directly to penthouse with my install but elected to go to traditional set up and it worked out.

Tonight is tweeter night!

I change my mind daily on what I want to do. Originally I was going to go with Audiofrog GS10 tweeters to match my GS components. Then I decided not to spend the bucks and give the Dayton AN25's a shot since you can get 3D Printed Mounts that snap right in for them.

However, a local audio shop offered me a screaming deal on Audiofrog GB10oem tweeters. The GB10's are their higher end tweeter. They also make a lesser known oem version that is pretty basic, but designed to mount in factory locations rather than having all the mounting hardware. The mounting hardware is pretty though! They also have several types of oem tweeters. Apparently what I got is a little older ones that are more designed to just snap into BMW sail panels. They measure about 44mm across, making them about 2mm wider than the factory tweeter.

So after some light modification to the inside of the sail panel, I got them to fit nice and flush while being secure. I put some blobs of hot glue on there just to make sure they stay in place. I think their regular oem version would fit better as its 42mm, but these work. I then soldered up some of the awesome Tweeter Wiring Harnesses by Amped Garage. Full disclosure: Amped Garage is sponsoring my install by providing me with their wiring harnesses and the Dayton tweeter adapters. However, I would have bought them anyways as it makes hooking things up way easier and you don't have to cut any factory wires.

You can see how its going by the pictures I've uploaded. I will say that they sound absolutely amazing, and I still need to tune them.

Attachments

• Amped Garage Dayton tweeter mount.jpeg
    Amped Garage Dayton tweeter mount.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Amped Garage Tweeter connectors.jpeg
    Amped Garage Tweeter connectors.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Dayton Tweeter in Mount.jpeg
    Dayton Tweeter in Mount.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Factory sail panel.jpeg
    Factory sail panel.jpeg
    466.4 KB · Views: 170
  • GB10oe BMW 1.jpeg
    GB10oe BMW 1.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 169
  • GB10oe BMW 2.jpeg
    GB10oe BMW 2.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 168
  • GB10oe in sail panel.jpeg
    GB10oe in sail panel.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: DennyL
Finally got my Knuconceptz 4ga wire in today. I ran it from the battery all the way to the back into my quick disconnect.

Powered the car up and everything works perfect! No error messages and the subwoofer amp and Helix DSP are both running well. So far so good!

Now I need to tidy up the wiring and also make an more permanent fuse holder mount. Just super happy it all works and I didn’t need extra hardware.

Attachments

• 3AA16865-10D1-4828-B0F1-C03A32BAB264.jpeg
    3AA16865-10D1-4828-B0F1-C03A32BAB264.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 251
Reactions: DennyL and byeLT4