Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 broke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're not the only one, I've got the same issue, car is currently with Tesla Park Royal. I took delivery of my car on 15/12/22 and it has done 3,670 miles. Been told it needs a new steering rack and a new main front harness.

Looks like it's not just restricted to the M3...

Have you got your car back yet ? @Filbert1884

Reactions: IdaX
As @Filbert1884 mentioned my thread, I’m in an similar frustrating situation with my new MY but not considering going as far as rejecting the car yet.

I had the same errors at around 300 mile mark. Park Royal claimed issue was caused by a wheel speed sensor which I was very sceptical about having read about common problems with water ingress / dodgy wire harnesses. They replaced the part in 4 days, the car drove fine up until around 1K miles and the exact same errors popped up again yesterday whilst driving. I’ve had brand new cars in the past but none with problems so early on. It has got me into this love-hate scenario with the MY. When it does work, it’s brilliant but the reliability is so off putting. Looks like another visit to the SC.

Have just been advised the new wiring loom was coming from china and hasn’t turned up, apparently due to lock downs, so no date now on a replacement. Not ideal, haven’t rejected the car, it’s been two months, which I now appreciate isn’t very long in Tesla fault repair world. Wondering how long I should leave it before pulling the rip chord. I’m thinking if it does come back I should be asking for a corresponding extension to warranty period.

Have just been advised the new wiring loom was coming from china and hasn’t turned up, apparently due to lock downs, so no date now on a replacement. Not ideal, haven’t rejected the car, it’s been two months, which I now appreciate isn’t very long in Tesla fault repair world. Wondering how long I should leave it before pulling the rip chord. I’m thinking if it does come back I should be asking for a corresponding extension to warranty period.
You would find it very hard to reject the car as you've done significant mileage, CRA is going to be focused on a car you receive and is immediately faulty. This sounds entirely like a warranty issue that's being dealt entirely in line with your warranty agreement. You would be trying to explain that the car was of insufficient quality from new as this fault was present in a dormant state when you purchased it, I really doubt you would get anywhere.

Does your warranty agreement have any terms that define that it will extend under these circumstances (it doesn't) so that's also simply unlikely to happen.

Appreciate it's frustrating, but you need to be realistic about your rights. 3000 miles in this is not a new car.

More details at Rejecting a new or used car: your car consumer rights explained | Auto Express

You would find it very hard to reject the car as you've done significant mileage, CRA is going to be focused on a car you receive and is immediately faulty. This sounds entirely like a warranty issue that's being dealt entirely in line with your warranty agreement. You would be trying to explain that the car was of insufficient quality from new as this fault was present in a dormant state when you purchased it, I really doubt you would get anywhere.

Does your warranty agreement have any terms that define that it will extend under these circumstances (it doesn't) so that's also simply unlikely to happen.

Appreciate it's frustrating, but you need to be realistic about your rights. 3000 miles in this is not a new car.

More details at Rejecting a new or used car: your car consumer rights explained | Auto Express

It is of course going to be a hard process to reject a car but he doesn't need to prove the car was faulty from new or the fault was in a dormant state especially with a new car.

"If you are complaining about a fault within the first six months of purchase, it is presumed this fault was there at the time of purchase."
What are a consumer’s legal rights when buying a car? - The Motor Ombudsman

"If the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must—
(a)do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer"

Consumer Rights Act 2015

He is beyond the 30 days for short term rejection but 2 months without a 4 months old car to me seems to as beyond "significant inconvenience".

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
I am still waiting for a part to turn up from 6 weeks ago i think before any lockdowns, my issue is only small so nothing like yours but still annoying.

Did you speak to the service manager? If not this is important as the techs often just look things up on the computer and then say sorry it's still not in without even speaking to anybody, the service manager will be able to help further than the regular tech guy.

Failing that, I would probably start giving them a timeframe to work to and consider a set date for rejection if they haven't fixed it by x date then you will not accept it being fixed as otherwise this could go on for months more,

My argument would be that its no longer a reasonable time and is a large inconvenience now.

"If the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must—
(a)do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer"

Consumer Rights Act 2015

One of the downsides of leasing is you haven't bought the car. One of the benefits is... you haven't bought the car.

If you're renting something long term, you're just paying for the use of the vehicle and ultimately it's the lease companies problem when it doesn't work if you've exhausted all reasonable avenues with the manufacturer. There are ways to get early termination with the lease co. that would normally be more convoluted if you bought the car.

The trader is willingly repairing his car, subject to parts availability, and providing a courtesy car to mitigate any inconvenience. They've also provided a reasonable explanation for the delay which is obviously beyond their control.

Reactions: Gumball
The trader is willingly repairing his car, subject to parts availability, and providing a courtesy car to mitigate any inconvenience. They've also provided a reasonable explanation for the delay which is obviously beyond their control.

The trader is willing to repair the car but has left the person waiting already waiting 2 months with no timeline as to fixing their car is not "within a reasonable time".

The parts issue has been well within their control for a long time, its a model 3 which has been in the UK for over 2.5 years and they have had enough time to stock their European parts distribution centres out for their product range. It isn't the consumers issue if Tesla decides not to stock or produce parts locally, they should be able to support the markets that they operate in that's why we have these laws in place.

Ultimately it is the OP who decides if they have been inconvenienced or not

Reactions: MrT3 and MrBadger
I’m not sure why the fix is taking so long. Clearly I could be wrong, but my M3 was towed on Monday with what certainly appears to be the same issue and it’s been back with me since yesterday. In that time my steering rack and main front harness were replaced. Perhaps I got lucky, or perhaps the problem is slightly different?

I’m not sure why the fix is taking so long. Clearly I could be wrong, but my M3 was towed on Monday with what certainly appears to be the same issue and it’s been back with me since yesterday. In that time my steering rack and main front harness were replaced. Perhaps I got lucky, or perhaps the problem is slightly different?
Which SC did the work? According to my service advisor at Park Royal the harness is out of stock in the UK, maybe that isn't quite true? I've been without my car for 5 weeks now!

Tesla are will take parts allocated for others peoples cars and use them, I know as they did it with mine, I really think it’s luck of the draw or which technician you get

I’m not sure why it’s taking so long to sort out, I assume it’s because they can’t get a new loom as stated. Meanwhile I’m doing free miles in a loan Model S which seems ok. I think it’s reasonable for Tesla to extend the warranty once the car is eventually fixed, given I’ve not been using it. I have no expectation of the car being fixed anytime soon, the service centre have said they don’t have any indication of delivery for new parts. I do think they need to give an undertaking to replace if they can’t fix it within a reasonable period, whatever that is. Say 4 months, I’m not sure what is reasonable. I emailed customer services along these lines but not had a reply yet.

I’m not sure why it’s taking so long to sort out, I assume it’s because they can’t get a new loom as stated. Meanwhile I’m doing free miles in a loan Model S which seems ok. I think it’s reasonable for Tesla to extend the warranty once the car is eventually fixed, given I’ve not been using it. I have no expectation of the car being fixed anytime soon, the service centre have said they don’t have any indication of delivery for new parts. I do think they need to give an undertaking to replace if they can’t fix it within a reasonable period, whatever that is. Say 4 months, I’m not sure what is reasonable. I emailed customer services along these lines but not had a reply yet.

I doubt that you will receive an extended warranty without a fight.

If you leave it to Tesla to determine a reasonable period you will not receive anything, it is not Tesla who determines what a reasonable amount of time is, ultimately it will come down to what the problem is and a reasonable timeframe to fix that issue.

For example if I had a popular German brand car and I needed a wiring loom replaced, I would expect the parts to be received from Germany within a week if the local parts network didn't have it in stock, if it was then I think unto 3 days would be reasonable then another week for fitting of said parts, I wouldn't expect the car to be in more than 3 weeks.

The Model 3 has been in the UK for nearly 3 years, it is reasonable to expect that parts are either manufactured or stored closer to the destination market than where the car originated from.

Unless you are setting a hard date for it to be fixed by and that you will seek legal action then I expect they won't bother to prioritise your car being fixed over others, unless you are happy with the S then I would ask for an equivalent model 3 to be given to you in the meantime

Reactions: MrBadger