Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 didn’t charge last night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It displayed the message ‘less energy available due to cold battery’. The battery was on 41% and didn’t increase at all during the 4 hours active charging I’d scheduled via my charger. I didn’t think it was particulary cold here in Wiltshire last night. In any case I thought the battery would heat itself up and then allow the charge.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for the reply. I have a 2020 mode 3 LR. The charger is scheduled to charge at 00.30 for the Octopus Go tariff and hasn't been changed since the last successful charge. It started to charge OK when I disabled the schedule this morning.

If you use the app to schedule charging does it pre-condition the battery prior to the start of charging?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I have a 2020 mode 3 LR. The charger is scheduled to charge at 00.30 for the Octopus Go tariff and hasn't been changed since the last successful charge. It started to charge OK when I disabled the schedule this morning.

If you use the app to schedule charging does it pre-condition the battery prior to the start of charging?
When it starts charging if the battery is cold some of the power goes into warming the battery at the start of charge. It does not start to preheat before the scheduled time. The cold battery warning is normal and should have nothing to do with why it did not charge.

You said the "charger is scheduled" so does that mean you are using the scheduling of the charger not the car? if so those schedules are sometimes held in the cloud not the local charger ( depends on the charger I guess) and the charger is pinged to start and stop over the internet so any interruption of the internet and you can fail to charge.
If you are using the scheduler in the car then that is held in the car so that is fairly fail safe

Upvote 0
I had a charging issue a few weeks ago.

I was on my way home from Northampton, charged at a Supercharger fine. Needed a quick top up in Mansfield when I received the error 'Charging Equipment Not Ready' I tried 3 different stalls as well as Osprey and Instavolt. All the same result. Called Tesla who went through hard reset, still no change.

Here is where i get really annoyed.....

Tesla said that they will have to recover the vehicle and sort me a rental to get home. Should take no longer than 10-15 mins for recovery to get in touch. 2 hours go by and nothing. Enterprise called me and said he was on his own so couldn't get a rental car to me. I had already booked a Taxi home (which i asked Tesla to cover).

Finally, get through to Tesla Roadside again who said 2 recovery companies cancelled the job and they will rebook. 5 mins later i get a text saying recovery on the way. The car eventually got recovered at 10:22pm, 6 hours after i initially called.

If i hadn't of booked that Taxi, me and my 6 year old daughter would of been stranded.

The car was sat in the recovery yard for 4 days before it was taken to Tesla Nottingham. Tesla Notts eventually fixed it and drove it back to my house in Leeds. They replaced the Charge port ECU due to excessive SLAC???

It's been 3 weeks now and have not received a response to my complaint email, I have chased 4 times and no sign of the refund of my Taxi.

The whole experience has been shocking from Tesla.

Reactions: candida
Upvote 0
I had a charging issue a few weeks ago.

I was on my way home from Northampton, charged at a Supercharger fine. Needed a quick top up in Mansfield when I received the error 'Charging Equipment Not Ready' I tried 3 different stalls as well as Osprey and Instavolt. All the same result. Called Tesla who went through hard reset, still no change.

Here is where i get really annoyed.....

Tesla said that they will have to recover the vehicle and sort me a rental to get home. Should take no longer than 10-15 mins for recovery to get in touch. 2 hours go by and nothing. Enterprise called me and said he was on his own so couldn't get a rental car to me. I had already booked a Taxi home (which i asked Tesla to cover).

Finally, get through to Tesla Roadside again who said 2 recovery companies cancelled the job and they will rebook. 5 mins later i get a text saying recovery on the way. The car eventually got recovered at 10:22pm, 6 hours after i initially called.

If i hadn't of booked that Taxi, me and my 6 year old daughter would of been stranded.

The car was sat in the recovery yard for 4 days before it was taken to Tesla Nottingham. Tesla Notts eventually fixed it and drove it back to my house in Leeds. They replaced the Charge port ECU due to excessive SLAC???

It's been 3 weeks now and have not received a response to my complaint email, I have chased 4 times and no sign of the refund of my Taxi.

The whole experience has been shocking from Tesla.

Have you been black-balled by AA, RAC and Green Flag? Your life is in your hands, not Tesla's.

Upvote 0
I think the “less energy available due to cold battery” is a general warning that you get when the battery is cold and the software keeps some as unavailable for use until the battery is appropriately warm.

I schedule my charging via the car and over the last 18 months have never had an issue. If I were to place a bet, I think this issue would be with your charger scheduling. Try it from the car and see how you get on.

Reactions: Yachtsman
Upvote 0
Have you been black-balled by AA, RAC and Green Flag? Your life is in your hands, not Tesla's.
I have RAC cover thank you. I also have Tesla Roadside assistance as my car is under warranty and my first port of call would be Tesla in the case of not being able to charge the car as they have access to diagnostics. The options were being towed home by RAC, then getting it to a Tesla SC or Tesla saying they would recover the vehicle back to a SC and provide me with a rental to take me home. I went for the latter, sadly what they promised didn't come to fruition.

Reactions: candida
Upvote 0
I have RAC cover thank you. I also have Tesla Roadside assistance as my car is under warranty and my first port of call would be Tesla in the case of not being able to charge the car as they have access to diagnostics. The options were being towed home by RAC, then getting it to a Tesla SC or Tesla saying they would recover the vehicle back to a SC and provide me with a rental to take me home. I went for the latter, sadly what they promised didn't come to fruition.
Many similar tales of woe recounted here. Dead cars are a hassle, in or out of warranty. Hopes that the benighted Tesla recovery service promises will be fulfilled are likely futile.

For me, sitting at home with a snifter while haranguing Telsa would be preferable. To each, his own.

Upvote 0
You said the "charger is scheduled" so does that mean you are using the scheduling of the charger not the car? if so those schedules are sometimes held in the cloud not the local charger ( depends on the charger I guess) and the charger is pinged to start and stop over the internet so any interruption of the internet and you can fail to charge.
If you are using the scheduler in the car then that is held in the car so that is fairly fail safe
To add to this cloud theory; on Saturday night (well Sunday morning technically) between midnight and 2 am the majority of the BT broadband network went down for what BT called "scheduled maintenance" (although as far as I can tell they didn't tell anyone) - I only became aware cause all my home automation started complaining that it was offline and at the time I was watching Netflix - everything came back to normal around 3 am... Given that unless you're on Virgin internet, BT are probably providing your connectivity - this may be something to do with it - especially if it's only occurred once.

Reactions: Stranger Dings
Upvote 0
I’d always assumed that scheduled charging was a cron task. It hadn’t occurred to me the servers might wake up the car remotely at the necessary time. It doesn’t sound likely though. Could it be the charge point losing internet that caused it. I can’t test it because my cars got 4G/LTE at home.

Upvote 0