Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 got hit by an uninsured driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 6 months old Model 3 got hit last week by an uninsured driver in Houston. I am at lost for words. I have some back pain, but I am thankful that I am OK overall-- my beloved car, however, sustained some damages from protecting me. I have uninsured motorist insurance, so that's a blessing. The majority of the visible damages are at the rear bumper and trunk lid.

Does anybody have experience dealing with this type of situation where the at-fault party was uninsured? I have filed a police report. I am working with my insurance company now to get a quote for a repair. I was told that it could take up to a month to have my car fixed. Any recommendation for a good body shop in Houston? Any advice is appreciated.

2.png

sorry to hear. I think you should be covered just like it was an insured driver, the only difference is that your insurance is paying since he has no insurance. I wouldn't really worry unless you were seeking extraordinary damage.

good luck with the fix. She'll be like new when its all done.

Reactions: Dre78 and t3slatx
Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will pay for the damage, that's what you have it for. If you have the other driver's info, make sure to give it to the insurance company, they'll go after him if the cost warrants it.

As far as the body shop, take it straight to Katy Coach Works in Houston. They did a phenomenal repair job on my previous Model S, and when I got it back you could not tell either visually or from driving it that anything was ever wrong with it. It literally looked and drove like it was brand new.

Reactions: Dre78 and t3slatx
sorry to hear. I think you should be covered just like it was an insured driver, the only difference is that your insurance is paying since he has no insurance. I wouldn't really worry unless you were seeking extraordinary damage.

good luck with the fix. She'll be like new when its all done.

I don't think he would get any diminished value payments from his own insurance though. It's unfortunate since uninsured drivers usually don't have much assets you can go after either. Sorry to hear.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will pay for the damage, that's what you have it for. If you have the other driver's info, make sure to give it to the insurance company, they'll go after him if the cost warrants it.

As far as the body shop, take it straight to Katy Coach Works in Houston. They did a phenomenal repair job on my previous Model S, and when I got it back you could not tell either visually or from driving it that anything was ever wrong with it. It literally looked and drove like it was brand new.

Thanks! I will check them out. It'a good to find a body shop that has worked on Tesla before. I was told to get it fixed at Service King, it is Tesla certified but I'm not sure of their quality.

It's a good idea to check the amount of your uninsured motorist coverage. I found mine was only $25,000 through State Farm. I upped it to $50,000 for just a few dollars more, but you can even go higher for not much additional cost.
Not sure what mine is. I'll check. Thanks for the tip.

I don't think he would get any diminished value payments from his own insurance though. It's unfortunate since uninsured drivers usually don't have much assets you can go after either. Sorry to hear.
I think that's the case. I'm just thankful for uninsured motorist coverage.