TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My Model 3 Got Wrecked Today :(

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by anatari, May 29, 2018.

1. anatari

anatari Member

#1 anatari, May 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2018
    Was cruising along the i-90 tunnel in Seattle, WA on mercer island with my wife and 2 kids, when I hear some vehicles approach at high speed from behind. Then suddenly I hear a screeching sound from a car breaking hard, and then a car slams into my rear end - hard. I was going 65, so that vehicle must have been going significantly faster. From there I lose control of the car, and the car spins out of control, hitting the freeway divider wall all the way on the other side of the freeway 4 lanes across, and then bouncing back all the way back to the other side of the freeway and hitting that wall before coming to a stop.

Thankfully the model 3 performed miraculously, crumple zones compressed, airbags deployed, no fire after the accident, and no one in my family seems to be seriously injured.

Still processing what just happened and getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me), but any tips and things to watch out for as I go through the insurance process?

Attached Files:

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      File size:
      183.5 KB
      Views:
    • Informative x 67
    • Love x 7
    • Helpful x 3
    • Like x 3
  2. Hayden

Hayden Member

Damn, you guys OK?

3. anatari

anatari Member

We're really shaken up and really sore & some bruises, but otherwise we seem to be ok, thank goodness! It was a pretty intense accident, and the car held up well.

• Like x 49
    • Love x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  4. mhan00

mhan00 Member

Jesus effing Christ. Your rear end was crumpled that badly when you were going 65? The idiot who hit you must have been going close to 100, maybe significantly faster since you heard the moron try to brake. He must have been racing someone. I hope they grow the book at him. Glad you and your family are fine.

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 1
  5. anatari

anatari Member

@mhan00 Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I'm trying to remember if any of bounces against the freeway walls was the rear of my car (I don't think so, pretty sure we hit each wall facing forward), Everything happened so fast tho, going to ask Tesla to see if they can get any footage from the car cameras tomorrow.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Glad you’re all okay! Looks like the right rear tire blew, also, definitely a good photo of how a 3 protects its people! Definitely see if the last seconds that the AP cameras hold are useful.

What happened to the other guy in the racer (or whatever)? Did he stop/get stopped or wasn’t he that damaged? I see the car behind yours but we can’t tell who he is, of course.

7. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Glad you are all okay. That is the most important thing. Everything else will work itself out. I hope you get into your next Tesla soon.

David

• Like x 1
  8. ai4px

ai4px Member

WOW! Glad family is OK. Holy cow.

9. ai4px

ai4px Member

My wife's niece bought a new Jeep and within 2 weeks someone pulled out in front of her and she rolled it. She had not purchased GAP insurance, so when the other guy's insurance paid out, she was $2k shy of payoff. I think your bigger problem is exactly how soon you can replace that car with another model 3. Maybe Tesla would like it for good public relations? They might be willing to help you get back in line for another model 3 for the value of being able to say "Look our car saved this family".

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

As other people often say: get yourself checked out fully so that any medical cost mpact is covered.

Also, they need to make you whole. They can't leave you worse off than before. You had a Model 3, so you need another Model 3 that is acceptable and it shouldn't cost you a cent more, taking into account taxes, registration costs and whether you can claim another tax credit in full.

Plus, contact Tesla to let them know. They've been pretty good in the past on expediting replacements for cars that have been written off.

Indeed sounds like racers behind you. Hopefully affluenza so their insurance covers you.

• Like x 12
    • Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 2
  11. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

i very much doubt that he would get the taxbreak twice.

• Disagree x 10
    • Like x 1
  12. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

That should not be on him but on the guilty party.

• Like x 1
  13. ai4px

ai4px Member

My guess is that insurance is going to pay the value of the car... which will certainly be less than OP paid for it. He'll then have to go after the street racer in civil court for the difference. It's a PITA.
    And yes, he'll be able to claim the $7500 again on the next new one. YOu can buy as many cars as you like in a given year under that tax credit.... but Mr Street Racer doesn't need to know that.

• Like x 6
  14. David29

David29 Supporting Member

Not sure whether to call you very lucky, or very unlucky. Unlucky to be hit, but lucky that your car protected you as well as it did. Wow.

• Like x 1
  15. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Wow, lucky to walk away from that.
    If the scumbag that hit you cares about insurance as much as he cares about others on the road, wouldn't be surprised at all if they had no insurance either. Hopefully OP has uninsured/underinsured coverage. And hopefully there are some eyewitnesses that can tell police the scumbag was driving at a reckless speed so they can throw the book at them.

• Like x 1
  16. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Interesting comment. He is eligible for the tax break, but if they don’t have the income to cover it.

I don’t think you need to worry repairs. But replacement instead.

Thank goodness everyone is ok.

• Like x 2
  17. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

unbelievable...glad the car protected you! what was the other car? truck? good luck, and if any other pictures post them... did you ever see the "other guy"?

18. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

i obviously dont know how this works in America. But I would assume the insurance will cover for the cost of the car. He will then get that money back and at the end of the year will get the tax back for the first car as normal since the tax break does not care whether the car has been destroyed or not.

19. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

I think what the previous poster is trying to say is OP may not have enough tax liability to qualify for two full $7,500 tax credits in the same tax year, not that there is a question whether he can keep the credit he (will) get for the now wrecked 3.

• Like x 5
  20. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

This is when the 2 channel dash cam would be beneficial.

Glad to see you and your family are safe.

• Like x 6