Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Got Wrecked Today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was cruising along the i-90 tunnel in Seattle, WA on mercer island with my wife and 2 kids, when I hear some vehicles approach at high speed from behind. Then suddenly I hear a screeching sound from a car breaking hard, and then a car slams into my rear end - hard. I was going 65, so that vehicle must have been going significantly faster. From there I lose control of the car, and the car spins out of control, hitting the freeway divider wall all the way on the other side of the freeway 4 lanes across, and then bouncing back all the way back to the other side of the freeway and hitting that wall before coming to a stop.

Thankfully the model 3 performed miraculously, crumple zones compressed, airbags deployed, no fire after the accident, and no one in my family seems to be seriously injured.

Still processing what just happened and getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me), but any tips and things to watch out for as I go through the insurance process?

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 3,022
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you’re all okay! Looks like the right rear tire blew, also, definitely a good photo of how a 3 protects its people! Definitely see if the last seconds that the AP cameras hold are useful.

What happened to the other guy in the racer (or whatever)? Did he stop/get stopped or wasn’t he that damaged? I see the car behind yours but we can’t tell who he is, of course.

Still processing what just happened and getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me), but any tips and things to watch out for as I go through the insurance process?

My wife's niece bought a new Jeep and within 2 weeks someone pulled out in front of her and she rolled it. She had not purchased GAP insurance, so when the other guy's insurance paid out, she was $2k shy of payoff. I think your bigger problem is exactly how soon you can replace that car with another model 3. Maybe Tesla would like it for good public relations? They might be willing to help you get back in line for another model 3 for the value of being able to say "Look our car saved this family".

As other people often say: get yourself checked out fully so that any medical cost mpact is covered.

Also, they need to make you whole. They can't leave you worse off than before. You had a Model 3, so you need another Model 3 that is acceptable and it shouldn't cost you a cent more, taking into account taxes, registration costs and whether you can claim another tax credit in full.

Plus, contact Tesla to let them know. They've been pretty good in the past on expediting replacements for cars that have been written off.

Indeed sounds like racers behind you. Hopefully affluenza so their insurance covers you.

That should not be on him but on the guilty party.
My guess is that insurance is going to pay the value of the car... which will certainly be less than OP paid for it. He'll then have to go after the street racer in civil court for the difference. It's a PITA.
And yes, he'll be able to claim the $7500 again on the next new one. YOu can buy as many cars as you like in a given year under that tax credit.... but Mr Street Racer doesn't need to know that.

Wow, lucky to walk away from that.
If the scumbag that hit you cares about insurance as much as he cares about others on the road, wouldn't be surprised at all if they had no insurance either. Hopefully OP has uninsured/underinsured coverage. And hopefully there are some eyewitnesses that can tell police the scumbag was driving at a reckless speed so they can throw the book at them.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Interesting comment. He is eligible for the tax break, but if they don’t have the income to cover it.

I don’t think you need to worry repairs. But replacement instead.

Thank goodness everyone is ok.

i obviously dont know how this works in America. But I would assume the insurance will cover for the cost of the car. He will then get that money back and at the end of the year will get the tax back for the first car as normal since the tax break does not care whether the car has been destroyed or not.

i obviously dont know how this works in America. But I would assume the insurance will cover for the cost of the car. He will then get that money back and at the end of the year will get the tax back for the first car as normal since the tax break does not care whether the car has been destroyed or not.

I think what the previous poster is trying to say is OP may not have enough tax liability to qualify for two full $7,500 tax credits in the same tax year, not that there is a question whether he can keep the credit he (will) get for the now wrecked 3.